What's new

Green Day returns

All day long I've been humming "Know Your Enemy"... not the greatest of lyrics, but quite a catchy tune.

Can't believe the Wal-Mart is refusing to sell it :rolleyes:

All day long I've been humming "Know Your Enemy"... not the greatest of lyrics, but quite a catchy tune.

Can't believe the Wal-Mart is refusing to sell it :rolleyes:

Like all CDs that Wal-Mart sell, they refuse to stock any with explicit language. Green Day is no exception. Most artists edit a version of their album for sale at Wal-Mart, but they certainly have the option of not doing that.

It's funny that back when Green Day's albums weren't selling all that great, they willfully obliged to having Wal-Mart chop their albums up. Now that they have an album that is expected to sell fairly strong, they puff their chests up and "take a stand" against corporate America. I hate indie stooge posturing.

It's funny that back when Green Day's albums weren't selling all that great, they willfully obliged to having Wal-Mart chop their albums up.
I haven't heard that, don't follow that stuff too much, but if that was really the case.... meh

Wal-Mart still gets a big :rolleyes:

What is Wal-Mart censoring these days anyway?

The album has 5 or 6 F-bombs, one S-bomb and a "bastards."

It also contains a few drug references the most explicit of which is "junkie," and the requisite snipes of the, er...right side of the political fence.

Only one of the songs' use of an F-bomb to I find to be problematic in letting my almost 10 year old hear, and I actually found listening to it with her to be a good lesson.

When I skipped the song with the offending F-bomb, and 2 other lesser offending F-bombs, my daughter asked if I was skipping the song because it had bad words and that from my prior lessons that you cant stop what someone else says or what you might hear and that as long as you dont use those words yourself nothing is wrong.

I told her that I agreed (and that I was happy our prior discussions had stuck) but that its not just the word but its the use of the word that can make a word more bad or less bad. I explained that I don't mind her hearing the other F-bombs on the disc, but I didn't want to hear this one...but that there are other non-bad words that when used improperly could be worse than the F-bombs that I let her hear.

I think she got it.

I think that Wal-Mart should trust its customers to understand at least that much...most of them are more than 10 years old.

It was the "concerned parents" that started that whole thing with Wal-Mart. It actually started with K-Mart, because I can remember buying the first Wu-Tang album at K-Mart and it not being censored. Some parental group that was upset about all the profanity in their kids music wrote all kinds of letters and did boycotts against K-Mart in order to stop selling albums labeled with the parental advisory stickers. It worked, and Wal-Mart later pulled all their "offensive albums" as well.

Later, Wal-Mart worked out a deal with BMG music (one of the biggest music distributors in the world) that allowed them to sell edited albums. At first, it was without the artists consent, but later groups like Pearl Jam, Prince, REM and KRS One worked towards legal provisions that meant that the record labels couldn't release these butchered albums without consent of the artist.

My whole argument is that Wal-Mart can sell what it wants, when it wants; but isn't it kind of hypocritical to ban offensive language from the albums they sell, but not make any provisions against the R-Rated DVD's they carry?

Think early Who gone pop-punk with a bit of California angst and reggeatone tossed in to bring it up to date.

I have spent the last 2 days digesting the album and while I'm not sure about the story they are telling, an Opera/love story/poli-drama replete with three parts, the music is incredible.

they've gotten way too whiny and bitchy. and reggeatone sucks.

they haven't released a good sit down and listen to the whole album since dookie. and don't tell me american idiot was good because i don't need political and moral lessons from a ramone's wanna be.

Top Bottom