What's new

Green Day returns

Five years after the seminal American Idiot comes 21st Century Breakdown.

Now, for those not fans, forget about the guys that were singing about masturbation and naming their albums after excrement...the 21st century Green Day is one BIG, smart band.

Go back and review American Idiot (its worth it still) and you will see what this band has become. Think early Who gone pop-punk with a bit of California angst and reggeatone tossed in to bring it up to date.

I have spent the last 2 days digesting the album and while I'm not sure about the story they are telling, an Opera/love story/poli-drama replete with three parts, the music is incredible.

I highly recommend it and cant see myself listening to much else for the next month or so.

I've been a fan since the early 90's. They've grown tremendously since then. American Idiot was a fantastic album. I'm glad to hear that 21st Century Breakdown will continue the trend. Can't wait to hear it.

Meh. They lost me after Insomniac. I still really enjoy the old Lookout! Records albums.

I've listened to their stuff since then and either I've grown up or they have. Either way it doesn't ring as true as it once did.

Five years after the seminal American Idiot comes 21st Century Breakdown.

Now, for those not fans, forget about the guys that were singing about masturbation and naming their albums after excrement...the 21st century Green Day is one BIG, smart band.

Go back and review American Idiot (its worth it still) and you will see what this band has become. Think early Who gone pop-punk with a bit of California angst and reggeatone tossed in to bring it up to date.

I have spent the last 2 days digesting the album and while I'm not sure about the story they are telling, an Opera/love story/poli-drama replete with three parts, the music is incredible.

I highly recommend it and cant see myself listening to much else for the next month or so.

What!?!?! Those geezers?

:lol::lol:

Crimeny Pete! This is their 3rd return that I can remember. I had Dookie back in the early 90s, we even put a lousy band together on my ship to play "Basket Case" in a no-talent show. Then I got tired of them and years later my oldest daughter became an enormous fan when they had their first comeback. Now they're returning again and my youngest daughter will discover them. They're inter-generational!

What!?!?! Those geezers?

:lol::lol:

Well done!

They are in their mid to late 30s, so not so much geezers though. Anyway, I ran through the album again on my "big" home stereo...I still don't really get the story, but to your point, what I heard this time around was classic rock c.2009 and thanks for that. Its been too long since Trent Reznor turned out not to be the saviour of rock. Maybe, Green Day can take up the challenge. They seem up to it, only (to other's point here) 5 years between albums makes for a band making perpetual comebacks.

Green Day suffers from Elvisitis; that is, they put out a new album or go on the road when they start running low on funds. In Billie Joe Armstrong's case, this turns out to be approximately every five years. :biggrin:

From what I've heard on the radio of this latest album, they don't even sound like the Green Day I grew up listening to. I literally thought they were a different band when I heard the song. I am all for progression and all but this is more like eradication. I'll just stick with NOFX since they can progress without alienating.

They lost my respect when they went political.

I still have their early stuff on my Zune, as well as American Idiot, but they really bug me now.

NoFx on the otherhand, got political, but didn't change their sound, or style, and they still sing about 99% of the stuff they used to.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of political bands, Propaghandi, Rage Against The Machine ect, but greenday is a joke.

Gonna go hit Pirate Bay and see how it measures up. :lol:

they lost my respect when they went political.

I still have their early stuff on my zune, as well as american idiot, but they really bug me now.

Nofx on the otherhand, got political, but didn't change their sound, or style, and they still sing about 99% of the stuff they used to.

Don't get me wrong, i like a lot of political bands, propaghandi, rage against the machine ect, but greenday is a joke.

Gonna go hit pirate bay and see how it measures up. :lol:

+1. I don't mind political. Smug and excessive moralization drives me nuts. (As does Billie Joe's enormous freak head.) Which it too bad, really. They know how to write a catchy tune.

Last edited:
Comparisons with The Who are a bit premature. Give them 25 years and we'll talk again.
I was referring to the sound. I hear a who influence all over their sound.

As for where they where vs where they are...what do you want...a band that makes the same record over and over. I'm way to old to involve myself in another "they sold out" argument. Punk, if you consider GD to be punk, has ALWAYS been political and preachy...its part of the great anachronism that punk is, a bunch of dirty, snot-nosed, high on who knows what kids giving what usually turns out to be a pretty smart screw you to "the man." For me its a heck of a lot better than singing about sex, drugs and rock n' roll...or cars and chicks...or weed...or some over wrought psuedo-horror story.

Punk, if you consider GD to be punk, has ALWAYS been political and preachy...

Not when it was still confined to the East Coast. If you look at the early New York scene you'd be hard pressed to find any political messages in the music. Once it hit California and groups like the Dead Kennedys emerged, it got overly political and a lot less fun.

Green Day is just carrying on a long tradition of Bay Area leftist preaching. Which is a shame, because they used to write great, original songs.

I can't think of any band that I would say sold out.

Even AFI, with their recent emo heavy albums, didn't sell out, they evolved.

Selling out is what the people in the Backstreet Boys did, when they signed on to a "band" that did nothing other than sing and dance.

And Rob, Dead Kennedy's are hilarious when they are not preachy. Buzzbomb is one of my favorites.

Maybe the purists would be happy if Green Day kept recording album after album that sounded just like Kerplunk, and then they wouldn't be accused of selling out. I liked their early stuff, but then, I was a teenager and in my early 20's. If those albums were to be released now, I don't think I'd pay attention to them. So I'm happy that their music has evolved beyond that. I also think is a shame that their music is dismissed by some just because they find their political views too "leftist".

Maybe the purists would be happy if Green Day kept recording album after album that sounded just like Kerplunk, and then they wouldn't be accused of selling out. I liked their early stuff, but then, I was a teenager and in my early 20's. If those albums were to be released now, I don't think I'd pay attention to them. So I'm happy that their music has evolved beyond that. I also think is a shame that their music is dismissed by some just because they find their political views too "leftist".

I would be very happy if every album they did was similar to Kerplunk! as that was a great album.

Not when it was still confined to the East Coast. If you look at the early New York scene you'd be hard pressed to find any political messages in the music. Once it hit California and groups like the Dead Kennedys emerged, it got overly political and a lot less fun.

Green Day is just carrying on a long tradition of Bay Area leftist preaching. Which is a shame, because they used to write great, original songs.
So your saying bands like th Velvet Underground and MC5 weren't political? Or were you starting punk with the Ramones?

Top Bottom