What's new

Green Cult Steel Razor

Oh, and what is your favorite handle? My favorite handle has not even been made yet, would love the Timeless Ti Crown handle in steel! :)

Among those I have the Alpha Viper handle is my favorite. Too bad that their Bandit seems to have been cancelled rather than delayed, I am afraid there isn't much coming from Alpha anymore.

The cheap Maggard MR1 handle is my absolute favorite. It's not some fancy looking and shiny or made out of titanium for instance and it does have some cosmetic imperfections here and there, but I love it to bits.

Why you ask? Well, here's my long answer:

The weight of the handle is 54.5 although on the website is said to be 50 for whatever reason and for me it's not too light or too heavy.

The length is 82mm and for me anything in the 80-90mm I call the ''perfect'' length.

I don't know the specs of the diameter, but I also find it to be perfect - not too thin and not too thick.

The grip is also very good and I have absolutely no complains.

Here's how the handle looks like:

Screenshot 2022-05-23 at 20-12-14 Maggard Razors DE Safety Razor MR1 Stainless Steel Handle Only.png

Yaqi made a similar handle, but the middle part looks like plastic and it comes in different colors as well:

images.jpg

A while I go I thought that the Razorock handles are going to be a much better option, since they look a bit better, but when my Barber Pole and Radio Knob arrived, I didn't like them at all. While the length is similar to the MR1 and all of them have very nice grip, the weight of the Razorock handles is almost double and they also feel a bit thicker to my liking. It's not that the Razorock handles are terrible by any means, but they feel clunky and odd on my hand, even though I don't have small hands and fingers. I also don't get the whole - ''I have big hands and I can only use large handles'' thing, since those handles are supposed to be hold with 2-4 fingers and not with the whole hand. Am I holding my handles wrong or what?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The cheap Maggard MR1 handle is my absolute favorite.
(...)
Am I holding my handles wrong or what?
Well, a bit like the Razorock HD, but that one weighs 2.6 oz / 74 g.
The only handle I can think of right of the bat that weights around 55 g is the Yaqi 88 mm.

The Timeless handles might kill you in SS. I find your preference for light handles weird, why, these handles are not overly heavy. I have lots of long and heavy handles and for the hell cannot stand aluminum handles. There is the option to go titanium if it must be light.

The Timeless Ti Crown handle only weighs 42.7 g, you will probably like it! :)

Well, a bit like the Razorock HD, but that one weighs 2.6 oz / 74 g.
The only handle I can think of right of the bat that weights around 55 g is the Yaqi 88 mm.

The Timeless handles might kill you in SS. I find your preference for light handles weird, why, these handles are not overly heavy. I have lots of long and heavy handles and for the hell cannot stand aluminum handles. There is the option to go titanium if it must be light.

The Timeless Ti Crown handle only weighs 42.7 g, you will probably like it! :)

It really depends on your definition of what you concider light. For instance, 99% of the vintage handles and razors in general are way lighter than the MR1 and the weight of some razors like the Ti Blackland is only 54 grams and many people don't find it too light.

The Timeless Ti Crown handle looks really weird to me and while I might like it, the price - $60 is more than I would pay and take a gamble whatever I would like it or not and at that price point that razor must indeed be better than any other handle in my collection.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I would love to get my hands on a bigger diameter hollow titanium handle by @Rosseforp !
I'm sticking with my hollow 14mm diameter aluminum handles with aluminum, stainless, or bronze nosepieces and tailpieces for now. I have an all aluminum 14mm x 78mm long LHF handle that weighs in at 9.6 grams, and my last handle with stainless tips was 24 grams by request. Cal's @Cal handles weigh 15 grams.

~doug~

On a side note, I love the look of the Timeless Crown handles and find the $60 price quite reasonable. I would have to drill mine out to lighten it up though.

SotD

Today the new base plates (prototypes) of the Greencult safety razor were allowed to show what they can do.

For better understanding:
O = The original head
L = Higher gap than the original (aggressive)
M = About like the original (medium-mild/aggressive)
S= Lower gap than the original. (Mild)

Base plate changes: no more through holes. As a result, the base plate is smooth. Gap and exposure have been adjusted.
The foam channels are now continuous, no more bridge.

Since it is a prototype, only the L, M and S were lasered. The end product will of course be labeled more beautifully and of course it will be optically enhanced.

Exact dates of the gaps and the exposure will be communicated.

Plate L and plate S with a feather were used today.

As always, the shaving soap was allowed to soften on the face for 3-4 minutes. Right half of face was shaved with S-plate.
Left half of face was shaved with L-plate.

The S plate is noticeably milder. It glided wonderfully through the whiskers.

Although milder, it was already clear after the first run that the S plate is very thorough. It's a noticeable difference to the original record and of course the L record.

Against the grain, the S plate proved to be excellent. No tugging, no rattling, nothing. I would say that the S-platter really shows what it can do against the grain. Perfect, soft and very comfortable on the skin. I had no problems with my upper lip.

-

The L plate feels much more direct with the line.

Here, too, the first round was very good, almost BBS, at least on the cheeks and neck.

Against the grain, especially on the upper lip, the L-plate bitched a little. She picked something. Here it was important to change the angle (almost 90 degrees) and keep the shaving cream more liquid.

But with a water shave it got better. (Clean up)

But I was shaved tip-top here too. After, as I said, a water shave and a little cleaning, I was completely BBS.

All in all, I would prefer the S plate, since it worked a bit softer, at least for me. But I have to say that my whiskers are quite thin and not too hard.

After a cold face wash, the after-shave was allowed on the skin. I could burn neither left nor right. Actually, I would have expected a burn on the left side, but as I said, nothing.

With the 3 new records, Greencult actually has the right product for everyone (coming soon).

Very clear purchase recommendation.

If you already have the Greencult, you can soon get a more suitable plate separately, depending on your needs. I don't know when that will be yet.

If you don't have a Greencult yet, you should wait until all 3 records are available. View attachment 1460548View attachment 1460550
When will these be available? I don't see them on either site.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
SotD

Today the new base plates (prototypes) of the Greencult safety razor were allowed to show what they can do.

For better understanding:
O = The original head
L = Higher gap than the original (aggressive)
M = About like the original (medium-mild/aggressive)
S= Lower gap than the original. (Mild)

Base plate changes: no more through holes. As a result, the base plate is smooth. Gap and exposure have been adjusted.
The foam channels are now continuous, no more bridge.

Since it is a prototype, only the L, M and S were lasered. The end product will of course be labeled more beautifully and of course it will be optically enhanced.

Exact dates of the gaps and the exposure will be communicated.

Plate L and plate S with a feather were used today.

As always, the shaving soap was allowed to soften on the face for 3-4 minutes. Right half of face was shaved with S-plate.
Left half of face was shaved with L-plate.

The S plate is noticeably milder. It glided wonderfully through the whiskers.

Although milder, it was already clear after the first run that the S plate is very thorough. It's a noticeable difference to the original record and of course the L record.

Against the grain, the S plate proved to be excellent. No tugging, no rattling, nothing. I would say that the S-platter really shows what it can do against the grain. Perfect, soft and very comfortable on the skin. I had no problems with my upper lip.

-

The L plate feels much more direct with the line.

Here, too, the first round was very good, almost BBS, at least on the cheeks and neck.

Against the grain, especially on the upper lip, the L-plate bitched a little. She picked something. Here it was important to change the angle (almost 90 degrees) and keep the shaving cream more liquid.

But with a water shave it got better. (Clean up)

But I was shaved tip-top here too. After, as I said, a water shave and a little cleaning, I was completely BBS.

All in all, I would prefer the S plate, since it worked a bit softer, at least for me. But I have to say that my whiskers are quite thin and not too hard.

After a cold face wash, the after-shave was allowed on the skin. I could burn neither left nor right. Actually, I would have expected a burn on the left side, but as I said, nothing.

With the 3 new records, Greencult actually has the right product for everyone (coming soon).

Very clear purchase recommendation.

If you already have the Greencult, you can soon get a more suitable plate separately, depending on your needs. I don't know when that will be yet.

If you don't have a Greencult yet, you should wait until all 3 records are available. View attachment 1460548View attachment 1460550
Well, shucks, now I am excited.

I will have to wait for the reviews to come in to see if the L plate is efficient enough for me.

Someone should organize a passaround!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
They made a few test kits, the new heads are not in production yet, but the first shaves had been very promising.
Once you have a better sense of how the three heads shave, I would love to know if you can comfortably shave multiple days in a row with the aggressive head!

Top Bottom