What's new

Green Cult Steel Razor

I just got it by mail and shaved already before lunch, not in the evening as usual.

View attachment 1400600

Surprise, surprise. It's not only good, it's amazing.

I had some preconceptions:
I thought...
1.) ... this is a mild razor for women. Greencult, eco, yeah, you know the drill.
2.) ... the comparison made with the Blackbird and R41. I didn't believe that.
3.) ... quite some machining marks visible in the photos. <- the only correct preconception, but they are as bad as feared

Well, I cut my upper lip, it was bleeding, and my chin had a shallow cut, that didn't bleed.
How wrong I was. So much about mild. This is a MEDIUM-AGGRESSIVE to AGGRESSIVE razor, it is made for enthusiasts, not a super safe model for beginners.

Efficiency: It is, which surprised me, more efficient than a Blackbird SB, also more aggressive, but not nearly as aggressive as a Mühle R41. It comes very close to its efficiency, but is way easier to handle. I like it even better than my Husaria. It is a very good head design.
It is quite a beast, but gives a very close shave. While it is smooth, but also not unlikely to bite due to the large gap and positive exposure of the blade. But as I said, I totally underestimated the razor.

Some observations: Cap and geometry remind me very much of YATES and BLUTT. The handle is heavy and the shape of upper end, where you can place your thumb if you wish, reminds me very much of some ZOMCHI razors from China that use the same shape. The rings provide good to very good grip. Knurling would still be more to my liking, but I was again very positively surprised. Also, as an aside, I just ran out of razor stands. But it fit exactly by height into my acrylic test tube rack. The handle is very long, 90-95mm or more, didn't check with a ruler. Much longer than the Super Knurl from RazoRock for sure, or the Rockwell handle.

It shaves STEEP, I can ride the scalloped safety bar, which is my preferred method of shaving. The safety bar reminds me a lot of the SB BLACKBIRD.

It got delivered with a pack of Czech Tiger Platinum blades, a mild blade, and yeah, I think this one can make use of it. A BIC or Feather might have caused a blood bath, I am glad I took my usual choice, the very cushioned but nevertheless very sharp Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum.

The handle colors are achieved through DLC coating. The head finish isn't the electropolish of RazoRock or DSCosmetic, but I like the as machined look better than matte or beadblast. The price is a bargain. It's even below Wetshaving Club, Razorock or DSCosmetic offers.

Apparently there is already work on a shorter handle, I would not mind a long handle with knurls either, and while they offer a plastic blade guard (just like those for Mühle razors, they are not that useful, I bought some and ever wonder since for what I need them), I would rather wish for a fitting bullet stand for the razor. For people new to wetshaving this razor might also be a bit too aggressive, maybe a milder plate, like for the Alpha Outlaw, could solve that.

The head geometry is superb. I guess my Nodachi acquisition gets delayed once more, have to try the at least visually similar Yates and Blutt heads... :thumbup1:

View attachment 1400604

Great review!! Thanks!

I just got it by mail and shaved already before lunch, not in the evening as usual.

View attachment 1400600

I thought...
1.) ... this is a mild razor for women. Greencult, eco, yeah, you know the drill.
3.) ... quite some machining marks visible in the photos. <- the only correct preconception, but they are as bad as feared

Well, I cut my upper lip, it was bleeding, and my chin had a shallow cut, that didn't bleed.
How wrong I was. So much about mild. This is a MEDIUM-AGGRESSIVE to AGGRESSIVE razor, it is made for enthusiasts, not a super safe model for beginners.

Efficiency: It is, which surprised me, more efficient than a Blackbird SB, also more aggressive, but not nearly as aggressive as a Mühle R41. It comes very close to its efficiency, but is way easier to handle. I like it even better than my Husaria. It is a very good head design.
It is quite a beast, but gives a very close shave. While it is smooth, but also not unlikely to bite due to the large gap and positive exposure of the blade. But as I said, I totally underestimated the razor.

Some observations: Cap and geometry remind me very much of YATES and BLUTT. The handle is heavy and the shape of upper end, where you can place your thumb if you wish, reminds me very much of some ZOMCHI razors from China that use the same shape. The rings provide good to very good grip. Knurling would still be more to my liking, but I was again very positively surprised. Also, as an aside, I just ran out of razor stands. But it fit exactly by height into my acrylic test tube rack. The handle is very long, 90-95mm or more, didn't check with a ruler. Much longer than the Super Knurl from RazoRock for sure, or the Rockwell handle.

It shaves STEEP, I can ride the scalloped safety bar, which is my preferred method of shaving. The safety bar reminds me a lot of the SB BLACKBIRD.

It got delivered with a pack of Czech Tiger Platinum blades, a mild blade, and yeah, I think this one can make use of it. A BIC or Feather might have caused a blood bath, I am glad I took my usual choice, the very cushioned but nevertheless very sharp Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum.

The handle colors are achieved through DLC coating. The head finish isn't the electropolish of RazoRock or DSCosmetic, but I like the as machined look better than matte or beadblast. The price is a bargain. It's even below Wetshaving Club, Razorock or DSCosmetic offers.

Apparently there is already work on a shorter handle, I would not mind a long handle with knurls either, and while they offer a plastic blade guard (just like those for Mühle razors, they are not that useful, I bought some and ever wonder since for what I need them), I would rather wish for a fitting bullet stand for the razor. For people new to wetshaving this razor might also be a bit too aggressive, maybe a milder plate, like for the Alpha Outlaw, could solve that.

The head geometry is superb. I guess my Nodachi acquisition gets delayed once more, have to try the at least visually similar Yates and Blutt heads... :thumbup1:

View attachment 1400604
This is a perfect review, it is now in my bookmarks so I can reference it later. Thank you.

View attachment 1400600

I thought...

View attachment 1400604
Where are you from, as you ordered on wednesday and recieved it on friday?

Well, mine should be arriving, hopefully, in a few days. Great review, will try Astra blade or other brand with a few shaves on it first.

Is there any update on the shorter fatter handle? I checked the shop this weekend and didn't see it. While I was there, I did notice that the specs are published:

- Blade Gap: 0,95 mm
- Blade Exposure: 0,25 mm

That is a huge blade exposure! :eek6:

Reactions: Kix
Is there any update on the shorter fatter handle? I checked the shop this weekend and didn't see it. While I was there, I did notice that the specs are published:

I'm hoping they missed a zero on that blade exposure.

Reactions: Kix

Not yet. I received a PM via Etsy and was told a shorter handle and OC razor is coming but give them time. Probably take another month or two.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Razor: Green Cult
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue Stainless (1)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Haslinger Shafmilch
Aftershave: Pre de Provence balm
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 9/10

Went Austrian by selecting Haslinger Shafmilch with this first use of the Green Cult razor. For a mild shaver, the Green Cult’s big gap and unpolished machining marks are frightening. But, you have to “climb every mountain” as a wet shaver. An interesting aspect of the GC is the way tap water shoots out the sides when rinsed. Patience yielded tender skin and a delightfully close shave. Going nick-free gave me early confidence to master the GC. Perhaps I can include Green Cult among “a few of my favorite things.”

F3EA7D87-DC1F-4C70-8E78-AE59E802918F.jpeg

E79D7A15-EBE2-4BC4-BC97-E1D4FCD0B43C.jpeg

These razors are produced by the husband of Frau Wallner, the owner of fairschenkt.at, so she can calculate the price at a very low level.

What I don't understand is why almost all razor brands sell the whole razor instead of having an option for just the head. I have at least 3 stainless steel handles that came with a couple of razors, which I don't use, since I don't like them and because my Maggards MR1 handle is my favorite. Just by looking at that handle I can already tell that i'm not even going to try it out and it's going to collect dust until the end of time.

Comparisons to the R41 keep me at bay for the moment, but I definitely feel RAD itching. Especially if they were supply a knurled and shorter handle. The price point is amazing. Fatip does the same for their all brass razors.

I will stick with Fatip and KCG but will definitely have a close watch on developments.

Top Bottom