What's new

greek coffee

i only drink one cup (pint really) of coffee at a time. lately i have been preparing "greek coffee". water in pan, add some sugar, grind up coffee to a fine powder, add to pan, bring to a boil while stirring, strain through a metal filter add cream and drink.

i really like this method. tastes great and is fast. anyone else ever try this?

i only drink one cup (pint really) of coffee at a time. lately i have been preparing "greek coffee". water in pan, add some sugar, grind up coffee to a fine powder, add to pan, bring to a boil while stirring, strain through a metal filter add cream and drink.

i really like this method. tastes great and is fast. anyone else ever try this?

Being Greek I was practically raised on the stuff! Love it! One tip, kindly ignore if you're already doing this, but you get even better results if you let it boil up 3 to 5 times by taking the pot off of the stove stirring and then placing it back on to let it reboil and rise. ENJOY!

Seems not far from Turkish coffee...mmmmmm

Without starting a firestorm, let's just say the two cultures have "borrowed" heavily from one another.

Being Greek I was practically raised on the stuff! Love it! One tip, kindly ignore if you're already doing this, but you get even better results if you let it boil up 3 to 5 times by taking the pot off of the stove stirring and then placing it back on to let it reboil and rise. ENJOY!

HUGE +1

Everyone morning, I make a double-Greek with milk for the wife and myself. Never strained it, but the commercial brands (Loumidis, Bravo, Spinos, Venizelos) are probably ground more finely. You quickly learn how far you can "push your luck" before you're drinking the mud at the bottom.

Also saw a news report recently saying that there are health benefits to drinking this type of coffee. Apparently, the boiling method extracts beneficial nutrients/oils but is not as acidic as regular coffee.

Italian has a rich, full-bodied mouth feel, deep flavor with bright highlights, and can have an acidic taste with some coffees. Arabic is thick, more concentrated, with deeper flavor but few bright notes, and low-to-no acidity. Perhaps that's why it's often flavored.

I think the full mouth feel of stove-top is caused by steam and pressure, which blends the oils into the water. Arabic coffee puts all that goodness into the foam on top.

I don't know what litmus paper would say. Just talking about how they taste.

Top Bottom