What's new

Greek Artisan Soap - Κερκίνη shaving soap review

Hello and welcome to this topic,

My name is Ioakim (or Atomakis for you!) and I am from Greece. I got in my hands a soap from a Greek artisan soap maker and I HAD to shave with it.

The shaving soap is named Κερκίνη from a lake in northern Greece. It has this name because the main ingredient that distinguishes this soap from all the other Greek soaps is the use of Buffalo milk. The water Buffalos live in Κερκίνη lake, the only place in Greece.

The scents are simple and classic. Frosty lemon (with menthol), Anise - cedrus (cedar), Vanilla, Bergamot - Mint and even an unscented version. Also, recentrly they released a new formula with lanolin in two versions, lemon and cinnamon.

The Bergamot - Mint scent is the choice of the day. It comes in a 80gr (2.8oz) or a 200gr (7oz) tub, as all the other soaps. The packaging is really nice, clear plastic tub with metal lid. And the price is reasonably low for an artisan soap.

The ingredients list is clean and simple. Only essential oils are used. Bergamot and mint opens with mint. A wave of freshness hits your face when you open the lid and then you are welcomed from the warm zesty scent of the bergamot. With a couple of swirls with my Omega 48 I was able to create a bowl full of thick and creamy lather.

The application of the warm lather to my face was effortless. Some credits goes also to my workhorse of my shaving den, the proffesional grade omega 48 boar brush. The tools of the crime was my Edwin Jagger DE89 Lined Handle with an Astra Superior Platinum on its second use. The with the grain pass was like a hot knife through butter, the second pass "across the grain" were also really good. I was left with a close BBS shave without any irritation. A cold water rinse and some Brut original had the honours to close this terrific shave!

BUT, this soap excels in the post shave feel. I felt like I put on my face a top shelf moisturizing cream. Maybe the use of the Buffalo milk, or the simple ingredient list? I don't know for sure, but as a young guy with a fairly sensitive skin prone to redness from strong fragrances, I was really happy for this post shave feel. Definetelly this soap deserves a place in my shaving rotation!

P.S. I don't own this shaving soap company, neither was I paid to write this review. These are my personal opinions and as you all know Your Mileage May Vary!

Attachments

• IMG_20180516_121934.jpg
    IMG_20180516_121934.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20180516_121920.jpg
    IMG_20180516_121920.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20180516_122043.jpg
    IMG_20180516_122043.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20180516_122405.jpg
    IMG_20180516_122405.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 114
Last edited by a moderator:
Which other soaps have you tried?

How does this compare to the above soaps?

Also, you remind me of my first steps in this hobby. I started with an EJ paired with the Astra and an Omega 48 Pro back in 2012. Bought them from George@Wellshaved. Good products to get you started.

Which other soaps have you tried?

How does this compare to the above soaps?

Also, you remind me of my first steps in this hobby. I started with an EJ paired with the Astra and an Omega 48 Pro back in 2012. Bought them from George@Wellshaved. Good products to get you started.

I am new to this hobby, but I believe I have tried plenty of soaps in last few months that I wetshave. I have tried Taylor of old Bond street, Truefitt and hill, RazoRock, Phoenix and Beau, Coate's cream, the whole Proraso line, Arko stick, Palmolive and Nivea creams. Also, I have more products in the waiting list to try.

Of course there are better soaps than this Κερκίνη shaving soap, but for a greek small batch artisan soap it's very close to famous foreign artisans. Not the slickest soap in my den, but it provides a really good comfortable shave. Way above the average performance for me.

The combination of the EJ and the Omega is top shelf shaving experience. I have purchased many other razors, vintage and new ones. My latest acquisition will be the rockwell 6s, a razor I wanted for so long to buy.

My name is Ioakim (or Atomakis for you!) and I am from Greece. I got in my hands a soap from a Greek artisan soap maker and I HAD to shave with it.

The shaving soap is named Κερκίνη from a lake in northern Greece. It has this name because the main ingredient that distinguishes this soap from all the other Greek soaps is the use of Buffalo milk. The water Buffalos live in Κερκίνη lake, the only place in Greece.

The scents are simple and classic. Frosty lemon (with menthol), Anise - cedrus (cedar), Vanilla, Bergamot - Mint and even an unscented version. Also, recentrly they released a new formula with lanolin in two versions, lemon and cinnamon.

The Bergamot - Mint scent is the choice of the day. It comes in a 80gr (2.8oz) or a 200gr (7oz) tub, as all the other soaps. The packaging is really nice, clear plastic tub with metal lid. And the price is reasonably low for an artisan soap.

The ingredients list is clean and simple. Only essential oils are used. Bergamot and mint opens with mint. A wave of freshness hits your face when you open the lid and then you are welcomed from the warm zesty scent of the bergamot. With a couple of swirls with my Omega 48 I was able to create a bowl full of thick and creamy lather.

The application of the warm lather to my face was effortless. Some credits goes also to my workhorse of my shaving den, the proffesional grade omega 48 boar brush. The tools of the crime was my Edwin Jagger DE89 Lined Handle with an Astra Superior Platinum on its second use. The with the grain pass was like a hot knife through butter, the second pass "across the grain" were also really good. I was left with a close BBS shave without any irritation. A cold water rinse and some Brut original had the honours to close this terrific shave!

BUT, this soap excels in the post shave feel. I felt like I put on my face a top shelf moisturizing cream. Maybe the use of the Buffalo milk, or the simple ingredient list? I don't know for sure, but as a young guy with a fairly sensitive skin prone to redness from strong fragrances, I was really happy for this post shave feel. Definetelly this soap deserves a place in my shaving rotation!

P.S. I don't own this shaving soap company, neither was I paid to write this review. These are my personal opinions and as you all know Your Mileage May Vary!

Thank you very much !!

Thank you very much !!

Hello I live in Greece, Athens where can if d the Kerkini shave soap? Thanks

Here in the States, there is an artisan named Wholly Kaw who uses water buffalo milk in his soap formulation. It is a superb soap. Maybe there is something magic about water buffalo milk.

Top Bottom