What's new

Greece-No Politics!

Seeing "a grown man cry" because he can't get his money out of the bank--This is heartbreaking!

Attachments

• $greek pensioner.jpg
    $greek pensioner.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 147
If a debt is too big to maintain and there is no hope of paying, the only solution is really bankruptcy and starting from zero. I'm not a big Donald Trump fan but he said something that always stuck with me... "I don't understand why borrowers get nervous, it's the lenders that should be scared!" lol

Either in or out of the Euro, tough times for Greece, no doubt. And the IMF are no saints.

But the Greeks themselves have (had?) raised tax evasion to a Worlds-Series level. No one thought that they should pay their taxes, so no one did. Like O. W. Holmes said, taxes are what we pay for civilization.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Guys, so easy to get into politics and end up calling people from one viewpoint or another "troglodytes" or some such thing ... we DON'T want to be doing that.

Keep it clean.

Thanks for the wishes gentlemen!

Best wishes in tough times!

It'd be so easy for us to "become helpful" and give you suggestions as to what Greece ought to do to fix it's problems ... but I'm getting the sense that there might have been one or two foreigners already who have made one or two gentle suggestions in that regard, and us trying to be "helpful" might come across the wrong way.

Just hopefully it doesn't come to "the full catastrophe"

Last edited by a moderator:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've had a lot of good days in Greece, and I was over there when this whole situation really started getting bad. I shudder to think about how it is to be there, now that it's so much worse.

Best wishes in tough times!

It'd be so easy for us to "become helpful" and give you suggestions as to what Greece ought to do to fix it's problems ... but I'm getting the sense that there might have been one or two foreigners already who have made one or two gentle suggestions in that regard, and us trying to be "helpful" might come across the wrong way.

Just hopefully it doesn't come to "the full catastrophe"
Thanks Doc.
As for the suggestions, it's hard to take them the wrong way, because with this situation only time will tell.
Btw, where from did you unearth this clip?

Greece has been on my bucket list awhile now,but Crete and Cyprus will be on the same trip,and even Malta if I can squeeze it in...Getting back to "bailouts",I was fully against the U.S. taxpayers dollars used for our bailoutS,we should have let the chips fall,it may have cleaned our system up quite a bit.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm not saying Greece is faultless but I would argue that you would have to be not familiar with the IMF or at least a little evil yourself to not recognize that the IMF is a very evil organization.
They make loan sharks seem like good guys

Greece has been on my bucket list awhile now,but Crete and Cyprus will be on the same trip,and even Malta if I can squeeze it in...Getting back to "bailouts",I was fully against the U.S. taxpayers dollars used for our bailoutS,we should have let the chips fall,it may have cleaned our system up quite a bit.

I spent some significant time in Crete and it is one of if my favorite places I've ever been to, and I hate to think how the wonderful people may be struggling because of this financial crisis.

It's been just a shade under a decade since I last visited there, but even then the locals told me how joining the EU had hurt their tourism numbers, because Crete used to be a cheap destination place for Europeans. They were struggling to remain a destination location because the Euro caused them to raise prices on everything.

I hope everything works out for them, and I hope to go back there some day. There is great history on that island, with beautiful beaches, great food and drink, and wonderful people. If I can locate them, I'll try to post some pictures of Chania, one of the major port cities where I spent a lot of time.

Either in or out of the Euro, tough times for Greece, no doubt. And the IMF are no saints.

But the Greeks themselves have (had?) raised tax evasion to a Worlds-Series level. No one thought that they should pay their taxes, so no one did. Like O. W. Holmes said, taxes are what we pay for civilization.

That's the thing. No one pays taxes and they all want the government to give them a fat pension. Where did they think all the money was going to come from?

Top Bottom