What's new

Greatest soaps with wood / leather / barbershop scents?

Hello,

I am in the market for a couple new soaps and looking for recommendations. Looking for things like leather, wood, grass, and traditional barbershop.

What I like: Tabac and various vintage Yardley soaps, CADE ASB for the juniper scent, Acqua di Parma cream.

For perfumes: Knize 10, Caron Yatagan, Korres Saffron Amber Cardamom, Jo Malone 154, Bulgari Black, Gucci Pour Homme, Amouage Gold Man and Jubilation... I can't remember others right now.

Don't like: Proraso, Eucalyptus, Green fern, lime, mint, menthol.

Been thinking I want to try soaps like these below because I hear great things, but I can't sample scents in person:
  • MWF
  • Valobra - for it's performance but which scent - Cologne?
  • MdC - for it's lauded performance
  • Czech & Speake 88
  • Penhaligon's - which scent?
  • D.R. Harris - which scent is most wood / leather?
  • Floris - I've had 89 scent but not the soap - not my favorite scent but supposedly a great soap
  • GFT Rose - had the violet, I thik it ended up as bath soap... Rose cream was a bit heavy for me
  • LPL - not sure which scent, again, but see good feedback

Very open to other suggestions in the leather / woody / barbershop realm.

Cheers
Ivo

For your "woody" smell, check out WSP Rustic Mahogany. It fits the bill of a woody leather scent perfectly and is one of the best values IMO in shaving soap currently. As far as barbershop scent I have two that I personally have and recommend, Mikes Natural Barbershop and Cold River Soaps Classic Barbershop. Both are fantastic soaps that I use regularly.

For wood I haven't found anything better than L'Occitane Cade. Cade is a rather rare note in fragrances but it's an amazing scent that is similar to cedar and vetiver and the soap is top notch.

For wood I haven't found anything better than L'Occitane Cade. Cade is a rather rare note in fragrances but it's an amazing scent that is similar to cedar and vetiver and the soap is top notch.
+1: Indeed, Cade is on my top 3 list of soaps!:001_cool:

Thank you, keep them coming :)

I do have CADE soap from 5 years ago or so - like you, i love the scent. For me, its performance, while good, is not in the league of Tabac's. Wonder if there was a formula change?

For the wood/leathery, I have THE soap recommendation: Queen Charlotte Esquire! Awesome scent, awesome performance. In my top 5 of soaps.

Thank you, keep them coming :)

I do have CADE soap from 5 years ago or so - like you, i love the scent. For me, its performance, while good, is not in the league of Tabac's. Wonder if there was a formula change?

Yes, the new formula is much better.

Can't say enough about Stirling Barbershop. Classic scent, and great performance. Plus...their samples are generous and very inexpensive. You should try it! :)

To answer some of your questions....

Dr Harris- Marlborough is a great leather/woody scent
Penhaligon's- Sartorial is an excellent scent that has woody basenotes underneath a classic barbershop/fougere scent

Top Bottom