What's new

Greatest Shave/Lather of My Life (so far)

I had the greatest shave of my life today. It was flawless. I used my Merkur 23C, a fresh Shark Super Chrome Blade, and the richest lather I've ever experienced, as produced from my newly obtained puck of Safari soap. (Thanks, Ian!)

The Safari didn't have the hard, dry coating/outer layer I expected based upon others' comments. I soaked it in some warm water to soften it, only to find it soft after about 15-30 seconds. In fact, it seemed pretty soft for a tallow-based triple-milled soap (at least compared to C&E's Sienna, my only other point of reference). I loaded my brush and proceeded to create the greatest lather I've ever used. I wish my lather was always this way! I really mean always.

I prepped by taking a hot shower. I used very little pressure. Three passes - WTG, XTG, and ATG. BBS perfection. I've had plenty of BBS shaves since beginning my DE journey about 9 months ago, but today's results were on an entirely new plane!

My question is, what other soaps will produce a fantastically superior lather, as the Safari did? I've been using Col. Conk and C&E Sienna with much success, but as much as I like both, there is absolutely no comparison. I know the Safari soap is discontinued and would love recommendations for an alternative soap for future use.

Sounds like it may be time for me to dabble in the tallows. Is it really all from beef (or other animals) though? I could get over the idea, but it would be nice if it wasn't so. :huh:

If it's the tallow that produced that great lather, then yes, I'm a fan. C&E Sienna also has tallow, doesn't it? I get a good lather, but nothing like the Safari.

Last edited:
Is it really all from beef (or other animals) though?
Yup ... tallow is rendered beef or mutton fat. Suet (the hard fat found around the loins and kidneys) is melted in water, then allowed to cool. The tallow floats to the surface and hardens into a white solid, while other impurities stay with the water below and are discarded.

Soap can also be made with lard, or myriad other vegetable fats/oils.

Tallow isn't everything. There are plenty of veggie soaps that'll give you equivalent lathers. But if you want to stick with tallow, try Art of Shaving, Valobra Shaving Stick, and Cella.

Yup ... tallow is rendered beef or mutton fat. Suet (the hard fat found around the loins and kidneys) is melted in water, then allowed to cool. The tallow floats to the surface and hardens into a white solid, while other impurities stay with the water below and are discarded.
Soap can also be made with lard, or myriad other vegetable fats/oils.

That sounds simple and clean enough. I'll have to add a tallow to the mix as my next purchase. Thanks for the explanation.

If it's the tallow that produced that great lather, then yes, I'm a fan. C&E Sienna also has tallow, doesn't it? I get a good lather, but nothing like the Safari.

I love the scent of Sienna, but the performance isn't quite as I'd like. I get better results from Col. Conk.

Also, C&E Sienna is NOT tallow-based, as I originally thought. That explains the difference. I'll likely try other tallow-based soaps, such as Cella or Valobra.

Does anyone know who made the Safari soap for Ralph Lauren?

I love the scent of Sienna, but the performance isn't quite as I'd like. I get better results from Col. Conk.

Also, C&E Sienna is NOT tallow-based, as I originally thought. That explains the difference. I'll likely try other tallow-based soaps, such as Cella or Valobra.

Does anyone know who made the Safari soap for Ralph Lauren?

I will definitely recommend Valobra to anyone, but only their shave stick has tallow. The almond and the menthol versions DO NOT.

Beerman

I've tried a sample of AOS Sandalwood cream and really liked it. The consensus on B&B seems to be that the soap is even better. Does the cream lack tallow?
Tallow isn't a magic ingredient. Most shaving creams (AOS included) don't contain it. In terms of soaps, tallow gets it's vaunted reputation because a lot of the reformulations of previously-tallow soaps have been bungled, producing inferior soaps.

Tallow isn't a magic ingredient. Most shaving creams (AOS included) don't contain it. In terms of soaps, tallow gets it's vaunted reputation because a lot of the reformulations of previously-tallow soaps have been bungled, producing inferior soaps.

Big +1.

My last shave was sooooo close, I couldn't try RL Safari again until this morning. I can't wait to see if my lather is just as rich.

Top Bottom