What's new

Greatest Guitar Players Ever

I am speaking strictly as a spectator here, as personally, I do not play guitar. I do however, respect and appreciate what this musical instrument brings to the table as far as setting the tone, mood, and emotion to the song at play. And behind this piece of wood with strings, is a true artist bringing it to life. Jimmy Hendricks burned his. Pete Townshend smashed his to smithereens. But what a punctuated statement to an already unbelievable performance delivered by these masters. An extension of his or her true self as they pour their heart & soul into it. Bravo. Not to diminsh what every instrument adds to the crafting of the song but lets concentrate on the guitarist. I have attended many concerts & after I leave, sure enough as I reflect back on the nights performance, the guitar solos seem to really stick out in my mind as without fail the guitarist has really captivated & moved me to the core of my being as I beared witness to their musical stylings.

I remember Mike McCready of Pearl Jam laying down a solo in "Black" that literally gave me goose bumps. This man was in the pocket and took the stadium in to a whole new stratosphere. It was very palpable amongst the crowd. He literally had connected to the entire stadium in unison. What a moment to say the least. This is what the best are capable of doing.

I know we at B&B are fortunate to be blessed with members who are talented guitarists in their own right, so it will be interesting to hear from these artist's perspective, even the living room Guitar Hero efficinodos will fall under this category :lol:, but I think it will also be interesting to hear from all our members being that music touches us all universally on so many levels, so on to the question at hand ...

Who in your opinion is the greatest guitarist in your eyes to have ever graced the stage?

Tiny Tim wont count so I will get him out of the way now :lol:

Ok go ...

Last edited:
I would LOVE to see Kottke live! I had a co-worker that saw him and said it took a while to believe that he was really playing the guitar and not a pre-recorded track of two or three guitars. One of the reasons I play 12-string is Kottke's music.
As far as on-stage stories, I'd like to mention Angus Young. Maybe not the best guitar player on his own, but what a performer. I saw AC/DC in Phoenix, maybe around 98. About half way through the show the rest of the guys went off stage and Angus worked the crowd with some great solos and general "showmanship". As he went to one side of the stage, some punk threw a full glass (60 something ouncer?) of soda right in his face. Something popped on the guitar. The whole crowd was silent, it was eerie! The security guys started dragging the dude away and Angus waved them over. He pointed in the creeps face, gave him a few words, pinched the jerk's nose between his fingers, then went over to a crew guy with a new guitar and started playing as if nothing ever happened!!! Amazing!
On the bass side of things, I had the great chance to see John Entwistle and The Who in Vegas in 99. To this day he is the only person to walk on stage that has left me absolutely speechless. After that night, I know why he was The Ox.

As far as on-stage stories, I'd like to mention Angus Young. Maybe not the best guitar player on his own, but what a performer. I saw AC/DC in Phoenix, maybe around 98. About half way through the show the rest of the guys went off stage and Angus worked the crowd with some great solos and general "showmanship". As he went to one side of the stage, some punk threw a full glass (60 something ouncer?) of soda right in his face. Something popped on the guitar. The whole crowd was silent, it was eerie! The security guys started dragging the dude away and Angus waved them over. He pointed in the creeps face, gave him a few words, pinched the jerk's nose between his fingers, then went over to a crew guy with a new guitar and started playing as if nothing ever happened!!! Amazing!

Would this be it? I like how he takes a bow to the crowd after :lol:
Angus does play the best 3 chords ever

They sold out both 50,000 seat stadiums in 10 minutes here in Vancouver & Edmonton this summer

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjBOg50EDqw[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Would this be it? They sold out both 50,000 seat stadiums in 10 minutes here in Vancouver & Edmonton this summer

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjBOg50EDqw[/YOUTUBE]

That has to be the one!:thumbup:Could you hear me?:lol:

I have seen Kottke twice. He is the only artist I will keep paying money to see as many times as I have the opportunity. Him messing around on his guitar in between songs is better playing than I have seen any rock-guitar player do when trying (and, so you know, I play, listen to, and love rock guitar).

Montreal's Lenny Breau was known as a musician's musician. He brought new playing techniques to jazz world. Sadly, he died too young.

Check him out on the 'tube.

Lots of good suggestions here...

I liked the late Terry Kath. The band Chicago takes a lot of heat, but the early stuff was great, a lot of it thanks to Terry's chops.

Don

The following eleven men and one woman define "guitar hero" to me. That is, they possess a talent and a signature sound that I as a guitarist can attempt to replicate, but will always fall short. Without them, I would have never picked up a guitar.

Scotty Moore.
The Reverend Horton Heat.
Django Reinhardt.
Leadbelly.
Big Bill Broonzy.
Carl Perkins.
Les Paul.
Alvin Lee.
Robert Johnson.
Ivy Rorschach.
Josh White.
Hasil Adkins.

Last edited:
I'll take John Fahey over Leo Kottke. Kottke's just a little too slick for my taste, and Fahey's, um, rubato timing moves me to no end (saw him live a few times before he died):

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZNPqciOWk[/YOUTUBE]

But my favorite guitarists are Derek Bailey:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XE2N4mxeRw[/YOUTUBE]

and Keith Rowe:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnUVpiFHhmM[/YOUTUBE]

Top Bottom