What's new

Greatest Guitar Players Ever

Oh, and I'd really be remiss if I didn't mention Eddie Hazel:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXq4GlHgROQ[/YOUTUBE]

and Joseph Spence:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDR83ZHKN0Q[/YOUTUBE]

What a loaded question. Instead of answering it straight, I'll mention two guitarists whose playing I've constantly grown to appreciate more over the years.

Dickie Betts
Pete Townshend

At this rate, they might make #1 and #2 if I live as long as Methusela.

I would have to say Zakk Wylde is my top I love his stage presence and play style but with him his and one of my personal insperations is the late(and ever so great) Randy Roades.

Oh my!

Here's a few that belong on the list and who haven't already been mentioned:

Frank Zappa -- His scatological lyrics often disguised his virtuosic guitar playing.

Allan Holdsworth -- EVH's hero. THE guitar player's guitar player.

John McLaughlin -- An ablosute, frightening MONSTER on acoustic or electric.

Jerry Garcia -- Yeah, he could clam, but only Jerry sounds like Jerry.

Duane Allman -- Could play slide like no one before or since.

:a5:

Last edited:
Richard Thompson:

Not saying he's the best ever, but fabulous whether acoustic or electric and he keeps getting better.

What a loaded question. Instead of answering it straight, I'll mention two guitarists whose playing I've constantly grown to appreciate more over the years.

Dickie Betts
Pete Townshend

At this rate, they might make #1 and #2 if I live as long as Methusela.

I was just going to add Dickey Betts, as well as Doyle Bramhall II and Robert Cray.

Unmentioned are:

Les Paul

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Joe Satriani

Warren Haynes

Robert Johnson

Carlos Santana

and just below them

Brian May

Adrian Belew/Robert Fripp (Fripp is better, but I would take Belew in my band first)

David Gilmore

John Frusciante

Tony Iommi

Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Stevie Ray Vaughn
BB King
And my hometown fav: Chuck Berry

My list would probably look pretty close to this. I can't believe that it took 15 posts for Stevie Ray Vaughn or BB King to be mentioned. Chet Atkins would probably also make my list. Jerry Reed, Vince Gill and Eddie Van Halen don't suck either

Already mentioned, worth repeating:

Jimi Hendrix
Frank Zappa
Duane Allman
Robert Johnson​

Not yet mentioned, worthy of a nod:

T-Bone Walker
Johnny Winters
Keith Richards
Johnny Thunders
Buddy Guy​

Warren Haynes

David Gilmour

Yes, I should have mentioned these two as well. Warren Haynes is currently the hardest working man in music, and David Gilmour can say more with less than anyone, and he always plays with such a beautiful sense of melody.

This is truth. I remember hearing Jimmy Dean tell Ralph Emery one time that you could lock Roy Clark in a room for a week with nothing more than some sewing or kite string and matchsticks and that by the end of the week he not only would have made an instrument of some sort but "could play the hell out of it". The guy has magic hands with a guitar. I would love to hear him do some classical work like that wonderful Gavotte by Bach that you see Segovia do on YouTube. Heck, he may have some of that type of stuff floating around somewhere.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom