What's new

Great wool coat, but the lint is killing me

After buying that $250 wool car coat for $31 on Black Friday, I remembered why I hadn't bought a black wool coat before...the lint. I hate it. Even though the amount is negligible to average, it still kicks my OCD tendencies in and I'm constantly picking at it.

I have lint rollers at home and in my office (I'm known at work as the only guy with lint rollers in his office), but there's got to be an additional method or perhaps a preventive one. Any handy tips you folks can share? I've seen lint roller and fabric shaver suggestions, and that's about it.

Good thing I read this post before buying that wool car coat I've been eyeing. Just looks so classy and yet casual. Guess I'll stick with leather. :\

Good thing I read this post before buying that wool car coat I've been eyeing. Just looks so classy and yet casual. Guess I'll stick with leather. :\

Stick around before giving up...we both might learn a trick or two. :thumbup1:

There's got to be a way to handle these things. Otherwise, would they be so popular and timeless?

Have you guys tried using a clothes brush? They're supposed to be great for longevity of fabrics, so maybe they would help maintain a lint free appearance, too.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... bought a black wool coat ...the lint. I hate it. ...
More for the guys yet to purchase ...

... I'll note that a darkish grey coat hides the lint and dirt much better, without giving up any of that sharp look!

Try dry cleaning it, too. The dry cleaning can often get rid of the surface lint that comes off. I've done this with seaters that seemed to 'shed' and it worked.

s.

Have you guys tried using a clothes brush? They're supposed to be great for longevity of fabrics, so maybe they would help maintain a lint free appearance, too.

I've thought about this, thinking back to brushing military coats. Can you point me in the right direction, maybe an online vendor?

I've thought about this, thinking back to brushing military coats. Can you point me in the right direction, maybe an online vendor?[/QUOTE
Kentbrushes is a vendor on ebay that sells - you guessed it, Kent brushes! Got a very nice double-sided clothes brush from him. Highly recommended on AskAndy, as I recall. Works so well I don't have to use it often. But I have no personal experience with brushing off lint with it yet.

Nordstrom carries a great high end German made wooden clothes/lint brush. Also doubles as a shoe horn.

Wait a minute, I have one of those in my closet. The bristles on the brush side seem a bit too thin for the job, but I'll give it a try.

I've thought about this, thinking back to brushing military coats. Can you point me in the right direction, maybe an online vendor?[/QUOTE
Kentbrushes is a vendor on ebay that sells - you guessed it, Kent brushes! Got a very nice double-sided clothes brush from him. Highly recommended on AskAndy, as I recall. Works so well I don't have to use it often. But I have no personal experience with brushing off lint with it yet.

Of the Kent clothes brushes, which do you recommend for wool?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If I hang my wool overcoat in the closet, I get lint on the way to work.
If I take it out the night before, and hang it in the room where the Humidifier is, no lint.
Higher Humidity = reduced static charge, less static charge = less lint.

In a pinch, the cling free works pretty well too.

... I'll note that a darkish grey coat hides the lint and dirt much better, without giving up any of that sharp look!

Thanks for the tip.

Now a fashion question. I like the look of that J. Crew University coat, but I think its just a more casual "car coat" and I can get a higher quality one that looks similar from a different manufacturer. Am I correct in this assumption? Also, who makes a worthwhile wool coat that isn't going to break my bank? I'm looking for under $500 (could be on sale) and is going to last me more than a decade.

Maybe I need to start a new thread, but I'm hoping the answer is quick and fast.

Thanks for the tip.

Now a fashion question. I like the look of that J. Crew University coat, but I think its just a more casual "car coat" and I can get a higher quality one that looks similar from a different manufacturer. Am I correct in this assumption? Also, who makes a worthwhile wool coat that isn't going to break my bank? I'm looking for under $500 (could be on sale) and is going to last me more than a decade.

Maybe I need to start a new thread, but I'm hoping the answer is quick and fast.

You're going to get a lot of answers to that question, so I would recommend starting a new thread with the key questions summarized in the title.

Top Bottom