What's new

Great source for SE blades

Hey all,
I have been out the old fashioned shaving game for several years now. Between SE and DE i really loved SE the best, Gem in particular.

Used to guys would get high quality SE blades in packs if 100 or so from an online scientific supply store but I don't know what that store is or if they still carry those blades. Is anyone familiar with the store/ blades I am referring to?

I don't even know if I have any razors as I sold most if not all a few years back.

YES!!! That's it! Thanks! I am going to search through my stuff and if I have a SE razor I just might buy some blades.

I assume you want the Single Edge, PTFE-Coated, Stainless Steel Blades ?
I believe that is correct. Though I just rummaged around my shaving gear and I no longer own a single edge razor so I will have to pick one up at some point.

I think Ted Pella has a minimum order of 200 blades, which for me, as a multi-platform shaver, would last longer than I will. Connaught is the better deal by a whisker just because you don't have to order more than you'll need. They will remove the VAT for international buyers.

My first ever wet shaving experience was getting a blade out of the garage to try in my Grandfather’s 1912 GEM Jr. Yes, blood flowed, and I went back to disposables until the Mach 3 came out, and just got into traditional razors in 2022. The TED PELLA COATED blades are 180 degrees different from the other GEM SS blades. The SS ripped me to pieces. I finally ordered the coated blades and it completely transformed the Clog-PR.Smooth, close, wonderful shave and I was even comfortable buffing ATG! I still like a little closer, so I’m looking forward to re-using that blade in the MMOC, GEM Jr and 1924 Shovelhead. If you have these old razors and haven’t ordered the coated SE blades, I would ask you to consider doing so. In my experience, the blade difference ranges from scary, aggressive, scrapes, weepers and nicks to a wonderful shave. As always, YMMV but this was my experience.

Which razor will you be using them with? If it is a GEM MMOC or MMCC, then here is an idea. Try using an "injector blade" in them. I do that exclusively now. The blades are much sharper and last way longer. Great shaves. This is only recommended with those two razors since they clamp the blade down, where as the other GEM's depend on springs to hold the blade in place.

Top Bottom