What's new

Great shave with Gillette guard, advice needed

Hello,

Recently I’ve been using a Gillette guard since I’m able to bring it in a checked bag, and got great shaves both wtg and atg. I’ve been shaving for several years now using a maggard slant using a feather blade, the guard might be better I feel like. The maggard blade is good for wtg, but I can’t do atg without nicking myself.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a better razor? Probably something less aggressive than my current one given how good the Gillette guard is. Thanks

Have you tried any milder blades than a feather In your razor?
do you do any cross the grain passes before the against the grain pass?
gillette superspeeds would be a good start.

For me the combination of a ‘mild/moderate’ razor plus a sharp, comfortable blade is the answer.

I suggest you either consider something other than a slant, perhaps a Tech or a Slim, then work your way through a blade sampler or two. Unfortunately, there is no substitute for ‘trial and error.’

I bought some Guards to try, they look like they’ll work well, especially based on your input.

So the question is this: If the Guard works so well, why are you looking for something else?

Have you tried any milder blades than a feather In your razor?
do you do any cross the grain passes before the against the grain pass?
gillette superspeeds would be a good start.

I’ve been doing cross grain with both. I think a milder razor could get a similar result. I sampled tons of blades about 4 years ago when I got the slant and the best were astra feather and Gillette yellow.

Last edited:
I bought some Guards to try, they look like they’ll work well, especially based on your input.

So the question is this: If the Guard works so well, why are you looking for something else?

I’m looking for a regular de or se razor. The guard works well, but is a little too light and the handle isn’t great. Availability of the guard also isn’t too good in the us, and prices aren’t great compared to the suggested retail of $0.33.

I’m looking for a regular de or se razor. The guard works well, but is a little too light and the handle isn’t great. Availability of the guard also isn’t too good in the us, and prices aren’t great compared to the suggested retail of $0.33.

I wanted to try the Guard before responding, so I did.

Before trying the Guard I would’ve recommended a Tech with a Gillette Silver Blue, which has been my gold standard to date. It’s the mildest and most effective of anything I’ve tried.

With that said, a Tech/GSB feels like a medieval torture device compared to the Guard. I had the nicest shave I’ve ever had with the Guard this morning. It was smooth, effective, comfortable, and likely impossible to cut oneself with. At one point I got so cocky with it I actually TRIED to cut my lip (most sensitive area) and couldn’t. Try that with a DE.

Yes the Guard feels incredibly cheap and lightweight, but man, is it one hell of a shaver. And there’s a US store on eBay that sells 100 with free shipping for $22 if you like.

That is all.

Top Bottom