What's new

Great results with a Blue Tip

I’ve only been DE wet shaving a very short time and have been alternating between slim adjustables and fatboys, but my last 2 shaves have been with a newly acquired Blue Tip.

On the adjustables I use setting 1 almost exclusively. A few weeks ago, I got a little carried away with using too much pressure and caused some ingrowns, then I let some time pass for healing etc and when I shaved again I used setting 3 on my first pass (WTG) then back to 1 for my second pass (WTG). So now I know that combo works for some heavier growth for me; cool. Buuut, on my next shave I used too much pressure again and did this whole process over; less cool.

All that to explain I’ve never gone past a 3 on the adjustables.

I own some other non-adjustables which I haven’t used yet, because I’m scared to go too aggressive yet. Kinda want to ease into the hot tub if that makes sense.

So I got a Blue Tip.

The legends are true, my results with the Blue Tip have been no irritation. No ingrowns so far, but I’m getting a sensation of tugging on the hairs that I don’t feel with the adjustables. (Same Personna blades)

There’s no discomfort to the tugging so this isn’t a complaint, more of an observation.

But even so, I feel the Blue Tip is a win but I’m not sure if the shave is getting better because my technique is improving, or maybe the lighter feel of the Blue Tip in the hand is keeping my hand a little lighter, pressure-wise.

I can say I also feel safer with the Blue Tip for some reason. Sort of like I’m less likely to get into trouble but that might be in my head.

Maybe I should try a more efficient blade in tandem to reduce the tugging?

I see I’m not really making a clear question here or anything, just interested in other’s thoughts. Thanks in advance for any contributions!!

Maybe try a Kai with the blue tip, they are wider than standard, but relatively mild. Sometimes it helps to be able to feel the blade when learning a razor and you won't be tempted to push. Once you get the correct angle in muscle memory, your shaves with regular blades will improve. How about Personna Lab or Med Prep blades for your adjustable, they are narrower. BIC is an cheaper alternative, but they may not work well in some razors. This also allows you to tone down a shave on a bad day instead of dialling back.

I did my head with a blue tip after a couple years with a DE89. It puts the safety in safety razor. Shaved pretty well and I don't think I could have nicked myself with it if I tried. Felt like I could drag that thing all over my scalp like an atv doing donuts in a corn field with no issues at all

A Blue Tip was my first razor many, many years ago. I remember it being a good razor, but the blades back then weren't anything to write home about.
But I'll bet with a good blade, such as a Nacet, or Silver Blue, and light pressure, you would experience a close, comfortable shave.

The Blue Tip is a classic and it may well be your ‘destination’ razor! I suggest you stick with it while you explore blade options.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The balance of the Blue Tip is what I like, maybe because I used a Tech with an aluminum handle for years as my only razor.

I imagine they made fewer of them back in the heyday of Super Speeds but that's just a guess. :001_unsur

I'd never tried one, or a Red Tip, until I joined B&B. Enjoy yours @Breen!

Maybe try a Kai with the blue tip, they are wider than standard, but relatively mild. Sometimes it helps to be able to feel the blade when learning a razor and you won't be tempted to push. Once you get the correct angle in muscle memory, your shaves with regular blades will improve. How about Personna Lab or Med Prep blades for your adjustable, they are narrower. BIC is an cheaper alternative, but they may not work well in some razors. This also allows you to tone down a shave on a bad day instead of dialling back.
Kai is on the list for me to try, and the angle/muscle memory is definitely playing a role! I think the blue tip will definitely be the razor I use for testing new blades. Thanks!
I pair the Blue Tip with either a Feather or Kai. I don’t use these blades in anything else other than a Grand Shave King.

The pairing of a very mild razor + very sharp blade is a winner for me.
I've heard this, and the feather is also on my list with the Kai blades! I'm looking forward to testing them in the blue tip, thanks!
I get great shaves with a GSB or a Feather! Look over in Clubs and Brotherhoods and join "The Brotherhood of Blue Tips"

Tom
Thanks for the tip! I'll check in over with the Brotherhood of Blue Tips! Also, adding Gillette Silver Blues to my list!
I used my birth year Blue Tip (B1) with a Treet Black Beauty this morning. Great results using Proraso cream.
Is that the Proraso White that Matt's always talking about in the Razor Emporium videos on Youtube? ...been meaning to try it.
I did my head with a blue tip after a couple years with a DE89. It puts the safety in safety razor. Shaved pretty well and I don't think I could have nicked myself with it if I tried. Felt like I could drag that thing all over my scalp like an atv doing donuts in a corn field with no issues at all
This is hilarious, and I definitely get your point. I have lost most of my hair; what's left is kept at a 1 on my clippers. I may take it down to the skin someday, but I'm not there yet. Though if that day ever comes, I imagine I'll grab the blue tip for the job. Enjoy the donuts!
A Blue Tip was my first razor many, many years ago. I remember it being a good razor, but the blades back then weren't anything to write home about.
But I'll bet with a good blade, such as a Nacet, or Silver Blue, and light pressure, you would experience a close, comfortable shave.
I get a DFS with the Personna and Blue Tip, but I'm comparing to some fairly horrible shaves in my history. I feel the more experimenting I conduct, the higher my bar will be, so to speak. I'll add Nacet's to my must try list, thanks!!
The Blue Tip is a classic and it may well be your ‘destination’ razor! I suggest you stick with it while you explore blade options.
I agree, I see this staying in rotation indefinitely! I'm planning to use the Blue Tip as the test razor for new blades, thanks for the tip!
The balance of the Blue Tip is what I like, maybe because I used a Tech with an aluminum handle for years as my only razor.

I imagine they made fewer of them back in the heyday of Super Speeds but that's just a guess. :001_unsur

I'd never tried one, or a Red Tip, until I joined B&B. Enjoy yours @Breen!
I have a few different types of techs & super speeds but I've never tried them. 🙃 I'm still just learning the DE but I'll try one of them too once I have the confidence to not believe I'm going to regret it. B&B has got me though!

I think there is some misconception when razors are identified as mild or aggressive ... the efficiency of the actual shave is something you will not actually notice.
In my experience the aggressiveness demonstrates itself in the ability to mow through a weeks worth of stubble in one pass, where as the mild razors will often need 2-3 passes. If your shaving every 2-3 days there is no need for the macho-aggressive razors .. unless of course you enjoy the feel of the blade and the irritation that can cause.

The milder razors are great. I have had a Blue Tip for quite a while .. I may give it a run out next time.

Top Bottom