What's new

Great Movie Characters

In modern film:

Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean (one of the greatest character actor performances ever imho)
and more recently, Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark in Iron Man

I'll think of others, these were just fresh in the ol' noggin.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Homer Smith (Sidney Poitier) in "Lillies of the Field"
Rocky (Eric Stoldt) in "Mask."
Almost any role that Humphrey Bogart played.

Tom Hanks in Castaway - Even if I just catch the movie on TV after it has started, I get hooked. I cannot imagine someone else in that role. Too bad he lost the best actor Oscar that year.

Kevin Spacey in American Beauty:

Carolyn Burnham: Uh, whose car is that out front?
Lester Burnham: Mine. 1970 Pontiac Firebird. The car I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule!

proxy.php

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Homer Smith (Sidney Poitier) in "Lillies of the Field"
Rocky (Eric Stoldt) in "Mask."

+1 on Bogie,
Hoffman as Ratso Rizzo also
Jimmy Cagney in Yankee Doodle Dandy

+ 1. Bogey was just one of those actors that really brought texture to acting. Even if the movie seems terrible, it is always worthwhile if there is Bogart playing.
I could say exactly the same thing for many other actors, like Edward G. Robinson and James Coburn.

RIP Karl Malden

Where to start? I will stick more with characters rather than the actors themselves since some of the characters made the movie.

Red Will Danaher(Victor McLaglen) in The Quiet Man. One of my all time favourite characters.

Doc Holliday(Val Kilmer) I know, more a lead act in that one but he was great in Tombstone.

Captain Renault(Claude Rains) in Casablanca.

Professor Henry Jones(Sean Connery) in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Oddball(Donald Sutherland) in Kelly's Hero's (Good call on that one from an earlier poster)

Many others I can't think of right now.

Regards, Todd

Stalag 17 - J.J. Sefton (played by William Holden)

The Thomas Crown Affair (recent) - Pierce Brosnan - doesn't get much smoother than that.

+ 1 On Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in Tombstone, IMO he owned that movie and everyone else was a supporting actor.

AGREED

Vito and Michael Corleone - The Godfather NO1 movie of the world

Correction, the #1 movie EVER :001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile:001_smile

Price in Pirates of the Carbn.? "Agreeeeeeed!" He was awesome. +1,2,3 for Kilmer in Tombstone, Riddick in Pitch Black, and Marv from Sin City.

Top Bottom