What's new

great looking luggage

That looks great but I might be inclined to buy cheap luggage and use the leftovers to buy a 195 to put in the luggage.

If you want really good quality leather for travel, i would suggest Tumi Dakota Leather, or Coach. I would think anything more than that would be for individuallity, or name.

J

I agree that it looks like nice stuff. I wouldn't use those cases so much as luggage for travel, but instead as a briefcase. For that purpose, I could come closer to justifying the price. Definitely a piece I'd be proud to own and carry.

I would never pay that much for luggage that would ever handled by the airlines. As a carry-on, maybe, but never a checked bag, and their suitcases are too big to be carried on. I love leather, but not in luggage I'm going to travel with. Too heavy, requires maintenance, doesn't handle moisture well.

Now, for trips in the car with the lady to fancy B&B's and whatnot, that's a different story and those bags look pretty damned nice. I don't think the price is too out of line if the leather is top notch and the bags are hand made. They'd last a lifetime if reasonably cared for. I once saw a very simple leather portfolio in Ralph Loren on Michigan Ave for $1200. The lady explained it was the quality of the leather. My wife said for that price it'd better be one of Ralph's former pets.

In my opinion luggage is not a good venue for trying to be too stylish. It's not visible to that many relevant people, and the need for reliable function is so great that it's not worth risking. Luggage companies that get concerned with style ditch quality so fast in the process it's not very easy to get both.

FWIW my favorite stuff is here: www.redoxx.com. I travel light, and carry-on, so most of the time it's just an Air Boss and at most a Metro briefcase, both in saffron. Not exactly elegant, but bomb-proof, very well thought out, and theif-resistantly visible.

Good quality luggage will last a lifetime. Buy what you want and pay what you can afford. I tend to stick to understated luggage without designer logos or designs.

Good quality luggage will last a lifetime. Buy what you want and pay what you can afford. I tend to stick to understated luggage without designer logos or designs.

Excellent advice Andrew. I love leather goods and would buy bunches of it if I could afford it. Likely a top quality, hand made toiletries case would be high on the list along with a small carry on bag. The rest would be airport personnel proof.

Regards, Todd

I have no problem spending good money on high quality leather goods.

If treated properly, a well made leather briefcase will last a lifetime and look better with age.

However, I'd never spend that kind of money on anything that will end up in the hold of an airplane.

I agree with Austin's approach - designer luggage invites theft.

I'm a fan of the higher end Samsonite bags - not fancy, but very durable and well made. Always wait for a sale.

A bit more expensive, but they have a lifetime guarantee, are the Briggs and Riley bags - I have one of their computer bags and its bulletproof.

FWIW my favorite stuff is here: www.redoxx.com. I travel light, and carry-on, so most of the time it's just an Air Boss and at most a Metro briefcase, both in saffron. Not exactly elegant, but bomb-proof, very well thought out, and theif-resistantly visible.

I completely agree on this point. The Air Boss is not cheap, but all of the Red Oxx products carry the same warranty.

"This product is guaranteed forever, be sure to include it in your will."

I used to travel a lot with my job. I invested in some good quality leather luggage. I've got to echo what others have said, looks better with age and last a lifetime. Of course if someone steals it...
Look for a good rich, thick beef hide with good zippers (or straps). Skip the sheep skin and the designer names.
If you want to keep the cost down, Samsonite has some good bags made out of some kind of ballistic fiber that is supposed to hold up well.

ugly looking

If you want some really classy luggage try out swaine adeney. Classy and will stand out

http://www.swaineadeney.co.uk/

I don't get these kinds of posts; he doesn't think they are ugly. He already said he likes them- why would you try to convince him otherwise. You can suggest other brands without being rude.

Personally, I think it looks pretty cool as well. It is not urban at all, but that is the point.

S

SpencerB

Those are VERY nice bags. Who doesn't like the look of leather? However I would not fork out the kind of cash required to purchase that kind of luggage. Another brand like Samsonite, TravelPro, etc. would be fine. It's still quality luggage but not nearly as expensive. As a side note-I would NEVER let an airline handle luggage that looked like that!

Top Bottom