What's new

Great inexpensive razors

I have a fili. a Boker and a wacker sr. I also have a Feather and several eBay or Etsy bought Gems. They all provide about the same shave which can at times approach a BBS. With straight razors I need to be more careful.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I get one of my best shaves from a very cheap Gillette Sterling I got off of eBay from Thailand which came in the cardboard and bubble wrapped package.

It has the very thin and very cheap aluminum tech shaped plates with the light, hollow plastic handle. I prefer lighter razors because of their dexterity and ease of movement.

And this is as light and cheap as it gets. :)
1627539785406.jpeg

I asked a friend of mine (an economist) this very question many years ago. He explained it like this: “It’s only a nickel to them.”
And that’s at the bottom end of the luxury scale. I’ve heard of someone spending $70,000 on a custom engraved shotgun. To some people who can afford (Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffett or Bill Gates for example) it it’s just a drop in the bucket of their net worth just like spending $40-50 at Olive Garden for date night with the SO would be for most people in the middle class

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I asked a friend of mine (an economist) this very question many years ago. He explained it like this: “It’s only a nickel to them.”
And that’s at the bottom end of the luxury scale. I’ve heard of someone spending $70,000 on a custom engraved shotgun. To some people who can afford (Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffett or Bill Gates for example) it it’s just a drop in the bucket of their net worth just like spending $40-50 at Olive Garden for date night with the SO would be for most people in the middle class
Very well put.

I think it's reminiscent of the story of the man talking to God where he asks "God, is it true that a million years is like a second to you?" God replies "yes".
The man then says "God, is it true that a million dollars is like a nickel to you?" God replies "yes".
The man then asks God "God, can you give me a nickel?"
God replies "Yes. In a second"

I get one of my best shaves from a very cheap Gillette Sterling I got off of eBay from Thailand which came in the cardboard and bubble wrapped package.

It has the very thin and very cheap aluminum tech shaped plates with the light, hollow plastic handle. I prefer lighter razors because of their dexterity and ease of movement.

And this is as light and cheap as it gets. :)View attachment 1303620
The top cap on that razor is ZAMAK. When did you buy that Sterling? The ones 7-10 years ago had ZAMAK cap with brass bottom plate. The newer ones from the last few years have aluminium bottom plate with ZAMAK cap.
I do agree that it is a durable and cheap razor that is definitely value for money. Unfortunately with the transition from brass to aluminium bottom plate came problems. I received one from India last year and the softer aluminium bottom plate was deformed. Basically unusable.

OkieStubble

The top cap on that razor is ZAMAK. When did you buy that Sterling? The ones 7-10 years ago had ZAMAK cap with brass bottom plate. The newer ones from the last few years have aluminium bottom plate with ZAMAK cap.
I do agree that it is a durable and cheap razor that is definitely value for money. Unfortunately with the transition from brass to aluminium bottom plate came problems. I received one from India last year and the softer aluminium bottom plate was deformed. Basically unusable.

I purchased it 7-10 years ago. Upon further inspection, you are indeed correct. My Sterling plates are a very thin and light, but rigid brass bottom plate, with a thin and light Zamak top plate with “Gillette” etched into the top plate.

I like the longer plastic handle which is easier to grip and hold onto then a regular Tech, and the Tech head is so much thinner, allowing a really close shave.

I just used it last night with a Gillette Platinum Blue; and it was every bit as close as a shave with my best Shavette’s. In fact, it’s so light and thin, I have to be careful and pay just as much attention to the shave as I do with the Shavette or it can peel you like an Apple peeler.

I know my face well, and know where to apply pressure with this light razor and where not too. :)

I purchased it 7-10 years ago. Upon further inspection, you are indeed correct. My Sterling plates are a very thin and light, but rigid brass bottom plate, with a thin and light Zamak top plate with “Gillette” etched into the top plate.

I like the longer plastic handle which is easier to grip and hold onto then a regular Tech, and the Tech head is so much thinner, allowing a really close shave.

I just used it last night with a Gillette Platinum Blue; and it was every bit as close as a shave with my best Shavette’s. In fact, it’s so light and thin, I have to be careful and pay just as much attention to the shave as I do with the Shavette or it can peel you like an Apple peeler.

I know my face well, and know where to apply pressure with this light razor and where not too. :)
Are you sure you have a Sterling? The Sterlings don't have "Gillette" on the top plate. Both the ones from 15 years ago and the recent ones. Could it be yours is a Chinese Gillette Super Blue? or a discontinued Russian Gillette Rubie? Both have the "Gillette" on the cap.

OkieStubble

Are you sure you have a Sterling? The Sterlings don't have "Gillette" on the top plate. Both the ones from 15 years ago and the recent ones. Could it be yours is a Chinese Gillette Super Blue? or a discontinued Russian Gillette Rubie? Both have the "Gillette" on the cap.

Could be? I don’t have the cardboard bubble wrap after a decade to prove it isn’t. Did the Super Blue or Rubies have a brass bottom plate and zamak top? Here are a few pics of it.

A0D45735-8D82-4A71-B538-51629DE457D3.jpeg

BD1E828B-2A82-499B-AAB4-AC0467074F06.jpeg

Attachments

• D1539D36-33C4-4F98-A490-62AFE3C90253.jpeg
    D1539D36-33C4-4F98-A490-62AFE3C90253.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 65E92AC1-6D07-4E45-9225-3D98FD3405EE.jpeg
    65E92AC1-6D07-4E45-9225-3D98FD3405EE.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 15
Could be? I don’t have the cardboard bubble wrap after a decade to prove it isn’t. Did the Super Blue or Rubies have a brass bottom plate and zamak top? Here are a few pics of it.

View attachment 1303777

View attachment 1303778

The Sterlings are 7 O'clock brand. That's why they don't stamp the Gillette logo on the cap. Yours has very shiny nickel. Sterlings have somewhat dull nickel plating and the metal part on the handle is uncoated aluminium (both the old and the current versions).
Yes. the Super Blues and the Rubies had brass bottom plate and ZAMAK top cap. But the current Super Blues switched to aluminium bottom plate.
Most importantly the Sterlings don't have the geometry of the other two razors. They have a bigger blade exposure.
So, if you say yours is a Sterling, it is quite possible it wasn't made in India, but was imported from Russia or China and sold in India. P&G are known to do such things.

OkieStubble

The Sterlings are 7 O'clock brand. That's why they don't stamp the Gillette logo on the cap. Yours has very shiny nickel. Sterlings have somewhat dull nickel plating and the metal part on the handle is uncoated aluminium (both the old and the current versions).
Yes. the Super Blues and the Rubies had brass bottom plate and ZAMAK top cap. But the current Super Blues switched to aluminium bottom plate.
Most importantly the Sterlings don't have the geometry of the other two razors. They have a bigger blade exposure.
So, if you say yours is a Sterling, it is quite possible it wasn't made in India, but was imported from Russia or China and sold in India. P&G are known to do such things.

I just said Sterling because I didn’t know it’s name to describe it and the pic I googled was Sterling. They all three look so similar. It could very well be and is probably and most likely, one of the others as you described so accurately.

I can vaguely remember, the package being light blue with foreign lettering and markings, But I can’t recall if those markings were Chinese or Russian?

I do remember there being a picture of some kind of comrades face on the package, but can’t recall if that face was Mao’s or Brezhnev’s?

The razor gives an awesome shave.

I just said Sterling because I didn’t know it’s name to describe it and the pic I googled was Sterling. They all three look so similar. It could very well be and is probably and most likely, one of the others as you described so accurately.

I can vaguely remember, the package being light blue with foreign lettering and markings, But I can’t recall if those markings were Chinese or Russian?

I do remember there being a picture of some kind of comrades face on the package, but can’t recall if that face was Mao’s or Brezhnev’s?

The razor gives an awesome shave.
Well, if there was a face on the packaging, then it is King C. Gillette's face and you have the Super Blue. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=gillette+super+blue+razor

I purchased a Chinese Gillette Super Blue, to compare with my 1951 brass Gillette Tech (bakelite handle, super lightweight).
I totally agree with OkieStubble...the Super Blue is an absolutely fantastic razor and shaves 99% like the original Gillette Tech.
It shaves nearly identical to the original it is copied from. It is the best of all the foreign "Tech clones" in my collection. I purchased mine on AliExpress (about $4, if you can believe it) and IMHO the Super Blue may be the best "new in the package" bargain in modern day DE shaving. You must like very light razors, or this is not for you. I also agree with OkieStubble, that these lightweight razors are very maneuverable, easier to control and can get into tight spaces with no issues. Even though it is mild, I can get a perfect BBS shave in 3 passes plus a cleanup buffing. I have tried 8 different blades and they all work in it. (Wizamet, Lord SP, Personna Med Prep, Nacet, Willy's, Tatra, Silver Star and Shark Super Stainless).
I recently purchased a Laser Ultra and a 7 Oclock Sterling (around $8 each) to round out my budget Tech collection, and for comparison to my 1951 Gillette Tech.

I purchased a Chinese Gillette Super Blue, to compare with my 1951 brass Gillette Tech (bakelite handle, super lightweight).
I totally agree with OkieStubble...the Super Blue is an absolutely fantastic razor and shaves 99% like the original Gillette Tech.
It shaves nearly identical to the original it is copied from. It is the best of all the foreign "Tech clones" in my collection. I purchased mine on AliExpress (about $4, if you can believe it) and IMHO the Super Blue may be the best "new in the package" bargain in modern day DE shaving. You must like very light razors, or this is not for you. I also agree with OkieStubble, that these lightweight razors are very maneuverable, easier to control and can get into tight spaces with no issues. Even though it is mild, I can get a perfect BBS shave in 3 passes plus a cleanup buffing. I have tried 8 different blades and they all work in it. (Wizamet, Lord SP, Personna Med Prep, Nacet, Willy's, Tatra, Silver Star and Shark Super Stainless).
I recently purchased a Laser Ultra and a 7 Oclock Sterling (around $8 each) to round out my budget Tech collection, and for comparison to my 1951 Gillette Tech.
@Captainjonny, if you'd like @OkieStubble to see this post, just tag him, instead of highlighting his username in bold.

To do that you type "@" (like in email address) and start typing that persons username and it will appear.

Another way is to reply to his post directly, instead of making a new (independent) comment.

Sorry, if this sounds too obvious or patronizing. I just wanted to help.

1628327340451.png
1628327380506.png

1628327418254.png

Agree about Gillette Super Blue, a fantastic razor for those who like mild razors. For me it's very comfortable to shave with, on pair with R89 or maybe even better, but it's a little bit less effective.
Minus is that it requires some fiddling with the blade, to achieve that both sides shave equally.

OkieStubble

Agree about Gillette Super Blue, a fantastic razor for those who like mild razors. For me it's very comfortable to shave with, on pair with R89 or maybe even better, but it's a little bit less effective.
Minus is that it requires some fiddling with the blade, to achieve that both sides shave equally.

Does your top plate, have the the notches on the corners of the plate that helps align the blade?

I personally find, my Super Blue to be in my hands; like a Katana Sword in the hands of a Samurai Warrior. What I mean is, it actually has the total ability, in it's very thin and light head, to either be, the mildest shaver or the most aggressive shaver. Simply by the skill and technique of the one who wields it.

Because of it's extreme lightness in weight and it's surgically thin head, the slightest pressure, can and will turn it into a very aggressive razor and shave; and it will and can peel your skin back like an apple peeler if one is not careful or practiced with it.
Most guys, who want a more aggressive shave, depend on the weight of a heavier razor or and plus a wider blade gap. The heavier the weight or the wider the gap, produces an even more aggressive shave.

However, you can't change a razor's weight or it's blade gap, during mid-shave. I like aggressiveness on parts of my face and neck during the first pass and I like a milder touch and shave on certain places and on the second or third passes as my stubble is reduced or I'm just doing some, light, finishing buffing.

I like the fact, that the Super Blue has the ability to be a finite shaver that can be adjusted, simply by my technique of knowing where and how much pressure to apply or not. The design of the Super Blue, allows me to get a really mild shave where I want and also a really aggressive shave where I want.

A heavy razor, is going to be heavy thru the entire shave, as is, a wide, aggressive blade gap will be the same, thru the entire shave. It cannot be changed or adjusted during the shave.

Whereas, A light razor with a very thin head, is very mild, but still quite efficient with no pressure; and it also can be very aggressive and peel your skin right off, if that's what's desired, with just a bit of pressure.

I get, Shavette close, quality shaves, from a cheap, Super Blue DE. :)

Top Bottom