What's new

Great inexpensive razors

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Bearing in mind I'm talking current cost of vintage razors, not the inflation adjusted cost of them at the time they came out.
Some of the New and New Improved Gift sets were selling for up to 75 dollars. In 1930, 75 dollars is equal to about 1200 dollars in todays money.
Conversely, the 1940's Super Speed was selling for 1 dollar - that's about 15 bucks in todays inflation corrected money.

You all know I preach the evangel of cheap shaving. Nothing in my den more than $20; mostly vintage, and all great shavers. My rotation: Gillette Old, Schick E2, Gillette prewar Fat-handle Tech, Gillette postwar Ball-handle Tech, Schick G, Schick J, Gillette Slim, Schick Krona, Gillette SuperSpeed, Schick L, Lord L5, Lord L6, Yuma, Assured TTO, Lord Racer. A tour de force from the old classics to the modern cheapshavers. And all superb performers.

I have been wet-shaving for some time using a DE. In that time I have bought and own several (including ATT, Timeless, Mergress, etc). I also own a 1968 Superspeed that I paid about $20 for. I have found (over time) that I reach for this inexpensive gem more than the others. Anyone else own an inexpensive razor (modern or vintage) that you find performs as well or better than your pricier razors?
My 1952 Super Speed would suite me fine if I was only allowed to have one a or.

I have been wet-shaving for some time using a DE. In that time I have bought and own several (including ATT, Timeless, Mergress, etc). I also own a 1968 Superspeed that I paid about $20 for. I have found (over time) that I reach for this inexpensive gem more than the others. Anyone else own an inexpensive razor (modern or vintage) that you find performs as well or better than your pricier razors?

I have a WW2 era Star bakelite that shaves great, a few dollar flea market but.

I thought about this question, if you don't bother with your head, but take a new one from the store, then be sure to Fatip with a closed or open comb, depending on what you need. Or bargain on eBay for a vintage Gillette if you like. Merkur and Feather Popular are relatively cheap razors. True price / quality is on top. Vintage Gillettes have excellent quality. Fatip has a certain charm.

A razor, no matter how much it costs, needs to be selected according to taste, not just aggressiveness. I love my Empire style Gillette Old Type. In my homeland, there is a lot of architecture in the Empire style and classicism. I myself live in such an old house. And the razor complements this surrounding world.

I paid about $1 for a British Gillette Rocket Flaretip. I always get great shaves. I also paid $1 for a Gillette superspeed, and $1 for a tech. All were purchased at a perpetual garage sale, a couple of years ago.

But, I don't think these are in the spirit of the question which I take to be: which inexpensive razor could one reasonably purchase today. With patience, one could find a superspeed for under $20. One could certainly find a tech on a week known auction site. (Why do we treat eBay like "the Scottish play"?)

Asking modern razors, I have the EJ 89 which probably qualifies as an inexpensive razor. I also have a Fatip Open Comb Slant which is a bit more expensive.

With modern razors Fatip, Merkur and Feather Popular. From vintage Gillettes to choose from Old Type to Tech.

In my understanding, an inexpensive razor is a machine up to $ 50 and of good quality.
You reminded me I got a brand new feather popular I'm yet to use lol 😂

Yea looking forward to it just purely for the long handle but I hear it's rather mild

I got a two fatips open comb and a slant open comb

I do prefer the standard open comb fatip over the slant however both top razors

Top Bottom