What's new

Great inexpensive razors

I have been wet-shaving for some time using a DE. In that time I have bought and own several (including ATT, Timeless, Mergress, etc). I also own a 1968 Superspeed that I paid about $20 for. I have found (over time) that I reach for this inexpensive gem more than the others. Anyone else own an inexpensive razor (modern or vintage) that you find performs as well or better than your pricier razors?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have been wet-shaving for some time using a DE. In that time I have bought and own several (including ATT, Timeless, Mergress, etc). I also own a 1968 Superspeed that I paid about $20 for. I have found (over time) that I reach for this inexpensive gem more than the others. Anyone else own an inexpensive razor (modern or vintage) that you find performs as well or better than your pricier razors?
The Yaqi Beast and Yaqi top aggressive slant are two of the three best razors I have ever used, each for less than $10

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Open comb 3 piece - Gillette New
Closed comb 3 piece - Gillette Tech
Closed comb 1 piece- Super Speed, in either the 50's or Flare Tip style.
They are as efficient a razor as you are likely to find anywhere at any price point.
Don't believe the nonsense about them being "too mild".
Of course, you don't get bragging rights with a razor that didn't cost an arm and a leg.
The vast majority of my shaves are done with a Super Speed or its fancy handled brother, the President.
There is something to be said for the convenience of not fumbling with a 3 piece in the morning, and the Super Speed fills that void.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I vote for the RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72. At $70 its a better shaver than my Timeless and Charcoal Goods which were far more expensive. It can be bought without a handle and just the head for $38 if you happen to have a handle that you already like.

My favorite razor is the EJ DE89, have several models, but the original with the lined handle gets the most use. It was about $25 when I got it years ago. The vintage Gillettes, Red Tip, Slim work well for me. The Rockwell 6C is also very good, but at $50 may be too expensive for this category. In my experience you don’t need to spend hundreds to get a razor that gives a very satisfying shave.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My favorite razor is the EJ DE89, have several models, but the original with the lined handle gets the most use. It was about $25 when I got it years ago. The vintage Gillettes, Red Tip, Slim work well for me. The Rockwell 6C is also very good, but at $50 may be too expensive for this category. In my experience you don’t need to spend hundreds to get a razor that gives a very satisfying shave.
You're spot on.
There's nothing wrong with the niche razors being made today, there's dozens of new contenders, which wasn't the case 10 years ago.
But the models being produced today in Stainless, titanium, Chrome, Ceramacoat and copper and selling for hundreds of dollars are essentially versions of the Gillettes made nearly 100 years ago.
These expensive versions are aimed at people like those who congregate here and elsewhere and who are willing to drop a bundle to get the latest and greatest, rather than the guy who is ready to give up the canned goo and carts and get a good, comfortable and affordable shave.
I understand the attraction, and have some expensive collectors pieces myself, but they don't shave any better than the vintage models.

Top Bottom