What's new

Great Guitar Players that no one talks about

I second John Squire and Bernard Butler.
They both wear the Jimmy Page influence on their sleeve, but they sound...very, very "English."
Johnny Mar also had a great sound; that chimming, jangle helped define The Smiths.

The idea that Butler had a strong Page influence has never occurred to me, but it certainly makes perfect sense in terms of why I like him, given what a Zep fanboy I am.

Apologies if he's come up already and I missed it, but I suppose Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead deserves some credit.

I don't know if Ritchie Blackmore has been mentioned. In my opinion he was light years ahead of his contemporaries, Page, Clapton, Beck etc.

I don't know if Ritchie Blackmore has been mentioned. In my opinion he was light years ahead of his contemporaries, Page, Clapton, Beck etc.

Richie was way ahead of his time !! He started the whole classical /metal idea way back before the guys in the 80's.

David Valdes - I can't watch this without wanting to put down my guitar forever. Probably my favourite virtuoso guitarist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cocwoUq4pcs&feature=related

Keith Merrow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Rn09k6DqU

Levi / Werstler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2l1Fc2B5B8

Jeff Loomis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvfg0iLnzsw

Andy McKee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

I'm pretty sure Andy McKee and Jeff Loomis will have been mentioned before, sorry for any repeats!

It is hard to get examples of him playing out front so that you can really hear just him, but I would say that Pat Smear belong on this list. Very original. Significantly responsible for the sound of some very important and infulential groups. (Hard to say how influential the germs really were I suppose.)

Steve Morsef romr the Dregs and later Kansas. Also , there are a ton of jazz guitarists that do not get recognition they deserve , Jimmy Bruno , Paul Bollenback , Pat Marttino , and classical guitarists , like Elliot Fisk. I love rock and metal just as much as anyone else , but as far as use of scales , tecnique , harmony , the jazz and classical guys are head and shoulders above any rock player.

You got it. They are musicians musicians. Ever hear of Ralph Towner. Different league entirely.

• Andy Summers from The Police (Sting gets all the attention!)
  • Malcolm Young from AC/DC (his brother Angus gets all the attention!)
  • Prince can shred with the best of them
  • Plus that guy from Vampire Weekend is pretty amazing
Andy is definitely underrated. His work with Fripp is unreal.

Frank Zappa.

I know he's an icon, but his name almost never comes up. Of the 100 greatest guitar solos I witnessed in person, Frank probably played 80 of them, and I saw David Gilmour play over 25 times.
You know, your right. Known but not seen as how outstanding he actually was. Not just on guitar. He wrote everything.

Good thread guys. Got me thinking back many years.

There is one guy who should probably be mentioned as not recognized much but did his job extremely well. He put it where it belonged and didn't where it didn't belong. His sound was always incredible.
I submit to you Martin Barre.

Cant remember if these guys were listed or not..

Steve Howe (YES)
Martin Barre (Jethro Tull)
Alex Lifeson (RUSH)

These guys should definitely be up there on greatest of all time.. but no one ever lists them. I remember watching VH1 Greatest Rock band of all time list "YES" and "RUSH" something ridiculous like 80 or 90 out 100.. These guys are totally underrated.

Cant remember if these guys were listed or not..

Steve Howe (YES)
Martin Barre (Jethro Tull)
Alex Lifeson (RUSH)

These guys should definitely be up there on greatest of all time.. but no one ever lists them. I remember watching VH1 Greatest Rock band of all time list "YES" and "RUSH" something ridiculous like 80 or 90 out 100.. These guys are totally underrated.

Totally agree. Nice.

Carter Gravatt lead guitarist for Carbon Leaf saw him last week and he is absolutely amazing as is the band he is in.:thumbup1:

How about the "father" of the power chord: Link Wray.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but I'll share my memory about the first time I saw Link Wray:

Rewind to about 1977 or 1978.

There was a TV special featuring rock guitarists. I can't remember them all, but they were they usual suspects of the era.
Dicky Betts was the only only one that I can remember.
They were all fine players, but after a while, it all became
a haze of finger wiggly noodly soloing that left me feeling underwhelmed.

The closer was Link Wray.
He came strutting out to the front of the stage and all he played for the whole "song" was a big, dumb open E chord.
It was horribly distorted, maybe even a little out of tune and he played that one chord like his life depended on it.

One of the best musical lessons I ever had and it has stayed with me all this time.

Dunno if he's been mentioned yet, since it's too hard to read the whole thread on my phone. But my vote is for Nuno Bettencourt, formerly of Extreme.

Top Bottom