What's new

Great first shave with Feather blade

A couple years ago West Coast Shaving dropped in a sample Feather blade with my order. I was still new to DE shaving and was hesitant to try it; afraid it would “bite,” etc.

With my most recent order from WCS, they included a pack of Treet Platinum blades. Last week, I put one in my RR Game Changer SB and shaved after lathering up with Palmolive Sensitive cream (2 day beard). I didn’t like the shave; it skipped spots and my skin felt weird after a 2 pass shave (***, across the grain) plus touch-ups. Shaves 2&3 DID get better with this blade but I binned it before shave 4.

Today, I decided to try the Feather in the GC .68sb, 2 day beard using Palmolive Sensitive with a little OG Tabac stuck to the bottom of the shave bowl… I was very impressed with the Feather. It didn’t bite and took down my whiskers like no other blade on a first pass… I’m still figuring out my favorite blades. Most recently, I find the Voshkods very comfortable and I also like Astra SP and Nacet blades. I’ve used Kais which often get compared to the Feather but they aren’t as smooth, I don’t think… And, I’m not sure my opinion shouldn’t be taken with a grain of salt because I just had 3 poor to mediocre to shaves with the Treet Platinum so one could argue that any blade would have been an improvement… I will say the Feather gave me a very easy and comfortable DFS shave with no tugging, at all. I now understand the praise this blade gets from its fans.

Feathers can be a bit of a specialty tool for some of us, throw the right use case at them and they are magic! Glad you finally gave it a go and it went well. Funny enough, Kais are my universal blade. They work on my face so I can use them in any razor.

I am not a fan of Feather blades because I have a very coarse beard and very sensitive skin. That is not a good combination. For me, I can get two nice shaves with Feather blades before the edge deteriorates to the point I can no longer use them. Others have had a similar experience. However, if your beard is not quite so hard on edges or you skin can tolerate a somewhat rough blade then Feathers can be wonderful blades.

Some people use Feather blades "one and done". If you are willing to discard a somewhat expensive blade after a shave or two, they will provide a great shave. There is nothing sharper out of the wrapper.

Feathers can be a bit of a specialty tool for some of us, throw the right use case at them and they are magic! Glad you finally gave it a go and it went well. Funny enough, Kais are my universal blade. They work on my face so I can use them in any razor.
I haven't used my Kai blades in a while and I will definitely bring them back into the rotation. My boss gave me my first DE razor almost 4 years ago, a Gillette Slim, and a pack of Rockwell Blades. It wasn't until I put a Kai in that razor that I felt like I was getting a decent shave at setting 3. Overall I was disappointed in that razor; too many weepers trying to achieve a DFS.

My first experience with a Feather was not good, but as I got more experience with DE shaving, Feathers than were much better to use. Feather blades are great but pricey!
Yes, they're pricey and have a reputation of only being usable for 2 maybe 3 shaves (adding to the expense)... But I was impressed with its performance today but not surprised since many say it's a great blade for a mild razor such as an AS D2 or what I used, a Game Changer .68SB.

I am not a fan of Feather blades because I have a very coarse beard and very sensitive skin. That is not a good combination. For me, I can get two nice shaves with Feather blades before the edge deteriorates to the point I can no longer use them. Others have had a similar experience. However, if your beard is not quite so hard on edges or you skin can tolerate a somewhat rough blade then Feathers can be wonderful blades.

Some people use Feather blades "one and done". If you are willing to discard a somewhat expensive blade after a shave or two, they will provide a great shave. There is nothing sharper out of the wrapper.
I'd say I have a light beard and sensitive skin... I won't really know if they're good for me in the long run until a buy a tuck or 2 and use them consistently.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Some of you all might have wire bristle whiskers. I must be fortunate to have some facial hair that is more agreeable to Feather blades as I can get 6 or more shaves out of one. I also gravitate towards mild and efficient razors so they are well suited to my routine.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Feathers are one of the longer lasting blades for me, on my distinctly average beard/skin. I can get 30+ shaves with them, most of the time, in my mild to moderate razors.

I can kill one sooner, if I do a bad shave, and get the angle slightly adrift while the edge is still at its keenest. That can "pluck" at the blade edge and cause chipping, but assuming my technique is on form through the first 6 or 7 shaves, I should be in for a good long run of great shaves.

Feathers are one of the longer lasting blades for me, on my distinctly average beard/skin. I can get 30+ shaves with them, most of the time, in my mild to moderate razors.

I can kill one sooner, if I do a bad shave, and get the angle slightly adrift while the edge is still at its keenest. That can "pluck" at the blade edge and cause chipping, but assuming my technique is on form through the first 6 or 7 shaves, I should be in for a good long run of great shaves.
I'm curious to see how long the blade works for me. I typically bin my blades after 4 or 5 shaves.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'd say I have a light beard and sensitive skin... I won't really know if they're good for me in the long run until a buy a tuck or 2 and use them consistently.
I think Feather blades are great, but they are expensive and have poor longevity, so I rarely buy them. They are very unforgiving of poor technique and we are treated to unfortunate pictures from beginning shavers who tried them a little to soon in their journey, but some do just fine from the get go.

If I had a light beard they would not be near the top of my list. There are quite a few blades that are plenty sharp enough, have good longevity and cost less. But blades are pretty cheap so use anything you like.

Feathers are great blades. They are sharp and require a very light touch and correct angle. Only down side for me, they only last a few shaves.

Feathers can be magic with the right razor—a mild one like a Tech, a Tatara Masamune or an FOCS for me. I get about 4 magic shaves and then 6 or so good but muggle shaves out of one. But my beard is pretty light (north European descent).

I have the same skin and bread issues as you. What blade works for you.

Typically, I get a week’s worth of shaves out of my Feather blades.

Up to that point they give me comfortable and close shaves, but as a long time straight shaver I possibly take the pre-shave routine a bit more serious than the typical safety razor user and make sure that my facial hair is softened enough for the shave.

Feathers do not last quite as long as my alternate Astra Stainless and Astra Platinum blades, but within the seven shaves time span there is no blade that works better for me.

I have been at this for long enough that I take what some people say with a grain of salt.
People said that the Merkur Futur was not suitable for a beginners, call the Mühle R41 is “The Beast” (which makes me cringe), and claim that Feather blades are too aggressive and difficult to use, none of which I found to be true.

While it may help to search for where the broad consensus regarding a product lies and disregard the outlier opinions, the ultimate prove of the pudding lies in the eating and the ultimate proof of a product meant for shaving lies in the shave.
And by following that rule I can truly say that Feather blades work exceptionally well for me.

B.

Top Bottom