What's new

Great first shave with Feather blade

People said that the Merkur Futur was not suitable for a beginners, call the Mühle R41 is “The Beast” (which makes me cringe), and claim that Feather blades are too aggressive and difficult to use, none of which I found to be true.

Me neither, with regard to "the beast" or Feather blades.

I shaved two days ago with a new Featger blade in a 34C and again yesterday with an R41. No problems with the Feathers or either razor giving me a real close but smooth shave.

Feather's are a funny blade, sometimes the shave is smooth, when other times it is rough.

For me, this is only on the first shave. But the next day, I don't want to put a Feather blade back in my razor. After having a rough shave, I tend to set the blade aside for a while, before I pick it back up again.

From the 2nd shave on, it shaves perfectly fine.

People said that the Merkur Futur was not suitable for a beginners, call the Mühle R41 is “The Beast” (which makes me cringe), and claim that Feather blades are too aggressive and difficult to use, none of which I found to be true.

Me neither, with regard to "the beast" or Feather blades.

I shaved two days ago with a new Feather blade in a 34C and again yesterday with an R41. No problems with the Feathers or either razor giving me a real close but smooth shave.

Feather's are a funny blade, sometimes the shave is smooth, when other times it is rough.

For me, this is only on the first shave. But, if is a rough shave, the next day, I don't want to put a Feather blade back in my razor. After having a rough shave, I tend to set the blade aside for a while, before I pick it back up again.

From the 2nd shave on, it shaves perfectly fine.

If I had a light beard they would not be near the top of my list. There are quite a few blades that are plenty sharp enough, have good longevity and cost less. But blades are pretty cheap so use anything you like.

I have the same thoughts. I also have a light beard. Although I have Feather blades, they have never been a favorite of mine.

Sometimes the first shave with them is rough, where it isn't with other blades.

But, going further, if you can shave with any blade, why choose a 40-cent blade as a favorite, when you can also get a perfectly good shave from a 10-cent blade. That's paying 4X the price, for no particular reason.

I completely understand those who need this super sharp blade to cut through their wire-like facial hair. This just does not apply to the majority of shavers.

I understand that Derby and Voskhod don't work for some other shavers. But Amazon has BIC Cgrome Platinum's for $11 and Russian Perma-Sharp's for under $10. They are both sharp blades and at least as smother as the Feather's, if not smoother.

In the mid-teens, GSB and Personna Lab Blue are excellent alternatives.

Amazon also has the under appreciated Gillette Rubies for $19.98 (per hundred). These are PPI blades that are very sharp and smooth as the 7 O'clock Blacks, for much less money than the Blacks. About half the price of Feather's.

Top Bottom