What's new

Great first shave with a new razor

I received my brand new Merkur Progress in the mail today. Loaded it up with a new Astra SP, lathered up some tabac with my Semogue 830 right on the face. 4 passes, and the best bbs I've ever had. Zero irritation, and I do mean zero, the alum proved it. Then I followed with VIBR and Nivea originals for a fantastic mini spa day.

proxy.php

I got this razorfor $68 cad. I think that is quite reasonable for a razor of this quality.

The handle although not knurled gave me no trouble whatsoever as I keep my hands soap free while shaving.

This is my first modern adjustable razor, and I have to say I really like it. It feels really solid in my hand, and "sings" way more than my ejde89 which "was" my daily driver.

Very happy with this purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Good choice! The Merkur Progress is a fav of mine too. Its weight, balance, and efficient performance are outstanding. I have fairly tough whiskers and use the Progress at a setting of 3.5 on all three passes.

As it was new to me I started at 1 for the first pass, 2 for second and third and 3 for the final. Super comfortable but 3 felt great I'll start there next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That razor haunts me, as a Futur is in my rotation and I am more than pleased with it. Folks say the Progressive is a better tool than the Futur, so I need to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Merkur Progress is my daily shaver. I set mine to 2.

When I tried it at 2.5, I would get a slight burning sensation a few hours after the shave. Set back to 2, that sensation went away.

BTW - The style of the handle is to not only provide good grip, but also to provide easy cleaning.

Last edited:
Congrats!

Is it just me or is the best shave from a quality perspective always the first shave with a new razor be it straight, de or se?

Perhaps my respect for an unknown quantity leads to caution and attention to detail in technique never replicated thereafter.

Congrats!

Is it just me or is the best shave from a quality perspective always the first shave with a new razor be it straight, de or se?

Perhaps my respect for an unknown quantity leads to caution and attention to detail in technique never replicated thereafter.
You could be on to something there. I'm always super careful first shave regarding angle, pressure etc.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm expecting a Piccolo to show up at my house today. I'm hoping not to have a bloody disaster! I think I'll take a cue from @danlaw and give it it's due respect on the first go-round.

Piccolo is an amazing razor (for modern-day razors); tread lightly ... it is no Tech ... respectful no-pressure first shaves are a great idea, no matter what. I rarely feel razor burn when it's occurring ... :07: only after. Afta? :a16:

AA

Piccolo is an amazing razor (for modern-day razors); tread lightly ... it is no Tech ... respectful no-pressure first shaves are a great idea, no matter what. I rarely feel razor burn when it's occurring ... :07: only after. Afta? :a16:

AA

My first shave with the Piccolo will be my first-ever open-comb shave. I plan on it taking a while. The razor and I will probably circle each other warily before I even load it up.

I have new tucks on hand of Polsilvers, Nacets, and Gillette Platinums, none of which I've ever used. I could play it safe with something like an Astra SP, Crystal, Israeli Red Personna, or 7 o'Clock yellow. I have some Feathers but I don't think I'll go that route. They've been rough on me in the past.

Top Bottom