What's new

Great first Red Tip experience

I recently acquired a 1957 Red Tip and 1952 Black Tip off of ebay for $20 total. I normally use a 1959 Fat Boy (set on 8) but wanted to try each of these as alternatives. When they arrived, they were both really gunked up, with the TTO mechanism being really gritty. After a variety of cleaning activities, the Red Tip was perfect and ready to go. I'm afraid the Black Tip is probably going to need major surgery (bubbling plating indicating corrosion underneath, corrosion spotting on the handle, etc).

So today was my first shave with the Red Tip. A great, BBS shave! I used the same technique I use with the Fat Boy because the size of the head is pretty much the same. I'm really impressed by the Red Tip. It'll definitely be in rotation with the FB.

I just used my newly acquired Red Tip yesterday for the first time. I concur, the Red Tip is an outstanding razor!

Now you just need the Blue Tip and the regular Super Speed ... one must have the set!

AA

I had a late-40s SS but sold it because I didn't like the way it shaved. Couldn't get a close shave with it. That's also why I've stayed away from a Blue Tip, because I've heard they're pretty mild in the aggressiveness department.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I had a late-40s SS but sold it because I didn't like the way it shaved. Couldn't get a close shave with it. That's also why I've stayed away from a Blue Tip, because I've heard they're pretty mild in the aggressiveness department.

While technically true, I found - after getting a Blue Tip (I thought I didn't want) in a package deal - that I could get close shaves with it, too. Though I may have been using some pressure ... caught myself doing that with a Merkur 34c.

Tucks of rough-shaving blades - won't mention names - also get used with success (in my case) in mild razors. Smooth blades get used in aggressive razors such as the OLD and Single Rings.

anyways. Congrats on the RT! (And having all three certainly looks cool!)

AA

Very nice. What "cleaning activities" did you use? I am looking to expand my puny collection and would like to know the process of cleaning up one of these old girls to get them back in shape.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice razors, well done on using the Red Tip. I have 2 but I put off using them as I kept reading about how aggressive shavers they were. I finally used one for two weeks and must say with a good blade they are a fantastic shaver. First week I used an Indian Wilkinson Sword which is my go to blade and the shaves were very meh. second week I used a Feather and had really good shaves but I did have a little razor burn. I don't have a black tip yet but I am looking.

Very nice. What "cleaning activities" did you use? I am looking to expand my puny collection and would like to know the process of cleaning up one of these old girls to get them back in shape.

I first soaked the heads for a day in Barbicide, then used some non-bleach Scrubbing Bubbles with a small nylon brush. This didn't help getting much of the gunk off, and I still needed to deal with the gritty TTO mechanism, so I completely immersed them in a mixture of hot (not boiling) water and Dawn dishwashing liquid and let them soak for 24 hours.

While the razors were soaking, I manipulated the TTO knobs whenever I thought it to get the liquid into that mechanism. This succeeded in completely smoothened the mechanism on the Red Tip, but only helped a little with the Black Tip.

After a 24 hour soak, I sprayed them with Scrubbing Bubbles again and used warm water and the nylon brush to work on the gunk. I was able to get all the gunk off of the heads in this way. I then gave them a bit of a polish with Simichrome, which is how I finally realized that the Black Tip has plating that is bubbling up, likely meaning corrosion on the metal under the plating. I then hit them with one more shot of Scrubbing Bubbles to get any residual Simichrome off, and that was that.

One thing I meant to do, and will do tonight, is to put a drop of light machine oil on the TTO knobs to make sure everything is lubed. There's mixed thoughts on whether or not this is needed, but any 60+ year old mechanism that's metal on metal ought to have a little help in my book.

The only thing left to do is decide whether or not it's worth having the Black Tip restored. I pretty much have $10 in it, but I'm not sure that it makes financial sense to throw another approx. $60 into it.

I first soaked the heads for a day in Barbicide, then used some non-bleach Scrubbing Bubbles with a small nylon brush. This didn't help getting much of the gunk off, and I still needed to deal with the gritty TTO mechanism, so I completely immersed them in a mixture of hot (not boiling) water and Dawn dishwashing liquid and let them soak for 24 hours.

While the razors were soaking, I manipulated the TTO knobs whenever I thought it to get the liquid into that mechanism. This succeeded in completely smoothened the mechanism on the Red Tip, but only helped a little with the Black Tip.

After a 24 hour soak, I sprayed them with Scrubbing Bubbles again and used warm water and the nylon brush to work on the gunk. I was able to get all the gunk off of the heads in this way. I then gave them a bit of a polish with Simichrome, which is how I finally realized that the Black Tip has plating that is bubbling up, likely meaning corrosion on the metal under the plating. I then hit them with one more shot of Scrubbing Bubbles to get any residual Simichrome off, and that was that.

One thing I meant to do, and will do tonight, is to put a drop of light machine oil on the TTO knobs to make sure everything is lubed. There's mixed thoughts on whether or not this is needed, but any 60+ year old mechanism that's metal on metal ought to have a little help in my book.

The only thing left to do is decide whether or not it's worth having the Black Tip restored. I pretty much have $10 in it, but I'm not sure that it makes financial sense to throw another approx. $60 into it.

Thank you very much for the instructions!

I've been using a Red Tip this week as well. They are great shavers. I like the Black Tips as well when i need a mild ride for a while. I also agree with the oil. I use gun oil on my TTOs.

I took a SR break and used the '59 Red Tip over the four day Thanksgiving weekend with a Feather blade. I enjoyed every minute. Congratulations on your acquisition. :a14:

Top Bottom