What's new

Great Covers

Brian Jones was on slide guitar in Little Red Rooster, he was, I think, to far gone on drugs, unfortunately to play any part in Love in Vain and died a couple of months after it was recorded.
Irreplaceable!
You are correct that that is not Brian Jones on Love in Vain. I was conflating No Expectations on Beggar's Banquet, which Jones did play on with, the later Love in Vain from Let it Bleed. I am not sure where Jones was was Love in Vain was recorded. LIB was released in December 1969, I read. Jones was fired in June 1969 and was dead a month later. Jagger has been quoted as saying the guitar on No Expectations, which he seems to refer to as a steel guitar rather than a slide, was the last major contribution to any Stones release by Jones. Jones was on two cuts of LIB in very secondary roles.

It seems to be Keith playing slide on the LIV version on LIB. Ry Cooder played mandolin. Ron Wood played slide on the Stripped version. Taylor on Get Your Ya Yas Out," I read.

Thanks for the correction!

You are correct that that is not Brian Jones on Love in Vain. I was conflating No Expectations on Beggar's Banquet, which Jones did play on with, the later Love in Vain from Let it Bleed. I am not sure where Jones was was Love in Vain was recorded. LIB was released in December 1969, I read. Jones was fired in June 1969 and was dead a month later. Jagger has been quoted as saying the guitar on No Expectations, which he seems to refer to as a steel guitar rather than a slide, was the last major contribution to any Stones release by Jones. Jones was on two cuts of LIB in very secondary roles.

It seems to be Keith playing slide on the LIV version on LIB. Ry Cooder played mandolin. Ron Wood played slide on the Stripped version. Taylor on Get Your Ya Yas Out," I read.

Thanks for the correction!

Thanks, and I hope that these might be of interest, a couple of quotes from Keith Richards Autobiography ‘Life’

Page 271:
’Its strange, given the fact that we’d had to pull the plug on Brian in the studio three years earlier, when he was lying in a coma beside his buzzing amp, to be reminded that he was still playing on tracks early in 1969, the year of his death. Autoharp on “You Got the Silver,” percussion on “Midnight Rambler.” Where did that come from? A last flare from the shipwreck.
By May we were playing in his replacement, Mick Taylor, at Olympic Studios — playing him in on “Honky Tonk Women,” on which his overdub is there for posterity.’

Page 272:
I was in awe sometimes listening to Mick Taylor, especially on that slide — try it on “Love in Vain.”

Last edited:
What would you say you’re favourite version of The Alamo is?
I meant to ask you this at the time, but then forgot, sorry.
I’ve an ability to forget things almost instantly now.
Right now, I'd have to go with Johnny Cash. Mainly because Johnny Cash and Eddy Arnold were my mom's favorite singers. She'd stack a bunch of LP's on the phonograph for housework and we'd all be put to work listening to it at full blast in the house. We lost my mom this past May at the age of 90 (her sister and brother all passed within two weeks of each other) and it's hard to get those songs out of my head.

Thanks, and I hope that these might be of interest, a couple of quotes from Keith Richards Autobiography ‘Life’

Page 271:
’Its strange, given the fact that we’d had to pull the plug on Brian in the studio three years earlier, when he was lying in a coma beside his buzzing amp, to be reminded that he was still playing on tracks early in 1969, the year of his death. Autoharp on “You Got the Silver,” percussion on “Midnight Rambler.” Where did that come from? A last flare from the shipwreck.
By May we were playing in his replacement, Mick Taylor, at Olympic Studios — playing him in on “Honky Tonk Women,” on which his overdub is there for posterity.’

Page 272:
I was in awe sometimes listening to Mick Taylor, especially on that slide — try it on “Love in Vain.”

Fun stuff. Great autobiography. I had forgotten what Richards had to say about Jones' participation in Let It Bleed and things around the same time.

This source, The Story Behind Every Song on the Rolling Stones' 'Let It Bleed' - https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-let-it-bleed-songs/ , which I think is consistent with other things I have read, says Jones is credited with congas on Midnight Rambler--see album liner, I think, which says, consistent with Keith, percussion--https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=6x6%2bkncE&id=38992B5661B69218B4FFDC1F30C235E2A9325C71&thid=OIP.6x6-kncE9PDDjR99wNWdRgHaHI&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fa.1stdibscdn.com%2farchivesE%2fupload%2fa_3543%2fa_10891231466622206943%2fStones_Let_It_Bleed_Bk003_z.jpg&exph=1115&expw=1157&q=album+cover+let+it+bleed+album+insert&simid=608052938495624660&ck=DBCE9F30877CC8E79E1784FD36A94594&selectedIndex=35&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0--but no congas are audible on that cut. His is also credited with autoharp on You got the silver. I am not sure whether I could recognize an autoharp, but the live video versions, which do not seem to have anyone playing autoharp, do not sound any different from the album to me!

Richards gets the sole album credit for guitars on Love in Vain, but based on the video evidence, it sure looks like Taylor playing slide in concert. "Honky Tonk Women" was a single-only released July 1969, and Taylor certainly appears on it, they say, as Richards does, as on overdub on previously recorded material. "Country Honk" is on LIB, and Taylor receives credit for slide guitar, Richards for acoustic.

I think Jagger was saying that Jones' last major contribution was on "No Expectations," not that he did not play on anything after that. I read that the last session Jones attended was March 1969, which was apparently early LIB.

I really liked both Brian Jones and Mick Taylor. I am not sure why they had to get rid of Brian completely to bring in Mick. To me they had entirely different roles. Brian was a mess by that time, but folks do recover. I suppose they could have brought him back in if he had lived. I mean what was the thinking exactly? We have essentially lost our rhythm (which we need to tour), sometimes slider, guitar player, multi-instrumentalist, and colorist, as Jagger once put it. What we need to do is to bring in one of the best lead players to ever pick up a Gibson. Keith will like that!

Fun stuff. Great autobiography. I had forgotten what Richards had to say about Jones' participation in Let It Bleed and things around the same time.

This source, The Story Behind Every Song on the Rolling Stones' 'Let It Bleed' - https://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-let-it-bleed-songs/ , which I think is consistent with other things I have read, says Jones is credited with congas on Midnight Rambler--see album liner, I think, which says, consistent with Keith, percussion--https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=6x6%2bkncE&id=38992B5661B69218B4FFDC1F30C235E2A9325C71&thid=OIP.6x6-kncE9PDDjR99wNWdRgHaHI&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fa.1stdibscdn.com%2farchivesE%2fupload%2fa_3543%2fa_10891231466622206943%2fStones_Let_It_Bleed_Bk003_z.jpg&exph=1115&expw=1157&q=album+cover+let+it+bleed+album+insert&simid=608052938495624660&ck=DBCE9F30877CC8E79E1784FD36A94594&selectedIndex=35&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0--but no congas are audible on that cut. His is also credited with autoharp on You got the silver. I am not sure whether I could recognize an autoharp, but the live video versions, which do not seem to have anyone playing autoharp, do not sound any different from the album to me!

Richards gets the sole album credit for guitars on Love in Vain, but based on the video evidence, it sure looks like Taylor playing slide in concert. "Honky Tonk Women" was a single-only released July 1969, and Taylor certainly appears on it, they say, as Richards does, as on overdub on previously recorded material. "Country Honk" is on LIB, and Taylor receives credit for slide guitar, Richards for acoustic.

I think Jagger was saying that Jones' last major contribution was on "No Expectations," not that he did not play on anything after that. I read that the last session Jones attended was March 1969, which was apparently early LIB.

I really liked both Brian Jones and Mick Taylor. I am not sure why they had to get rid of Brian completely to bring in Mick. To me they had entirely different roles. Brian was a mess by that time, but folks do recover. I suppose they could have brought him back in if he had lived. I mean what was the thinking exactly? We have essentially lost our rhythm (which we need to tour), sometimes slider, guitar player, multi-instrumentalist, and colorist, as Jagger once put it. What we need to do is to bring in one of the best lead players to ever pick up a Gibson. Keith will like that!

I‘ve been a stones fan since 1963 and I was 19 when Brian Jones died. I liked Mick Taylor as well, but I think the best days were when Brian was with them.
Beggars Banquet was my favourite album, and I played Not Fade Away and Paint it Black so many times, I’m surprised I never wore them out. My Mum hated the Stones.

Top Bottom