What's new

Great Covers

been going through the Nilsson discography this week while driving and this one is perfect for this group. He covers about a dozen Beatles songs in one.

I happened to come across Paul by chance as I was searching, and searching for covers, of the songs I like. I could listen to him all day. With his voice, even I could grow to like the Beatles...

Yoakam's covers of this song are among my very favorite covers of any song. Such a demonstration of how c-w, tejano/Tex-Mex, and rock and roll are not necessarily distinct forms of music.

I may like this Yoakam version even better than the studio Flaco version, although I do not understand why Yoakam would change Zevon's words.
"sinking down" not "feeling down." (The junkie protagonist is objectively hitting rock bottom, he is not just having a subjectively off day.) "Smith-Corona" not "Smith & Wesson." Although re the latter, I am not sure Zevon has not been recorded singing "Smith & Wesson." (Among other things, later in the song the protagonist is playing solitaire with a pearl-handled deck. Did he sell his pistol or not?!)

The GG Allin version is good, too, but I find it hard to get over it being GG Allin. :)

Top Bottom