What's new

Great Canadian Travelling Box #2 (aka CTB2)

I tossed in some various blades, the atkinson pre-shave oil, the shulton Lime Old spice cream, and the Conk Almond. :) I had doubles so enjoy!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Sorry guys for the delay in posting my first shave/unboxing of the CTB2. I have decided to do something different. I thought I would do an unboxing video of the contents. Here is the link. This is my first video. I would like to hear some feedback, both positive and negative. I will be posting pictures of my shaves from the last few days.

Post 1 updated

Hi everyone,

Here is my promised update, I have 2 shaves in with the new box. One is an old spice theme, the other is mama bears theme which I have never tried! Its hard for me to change more than one variable in during my shaving routine. However, I did end up breaking that rule.

First up we have Shulton Old Spice Fresh Lime. Wow the lime scent is fanastic, I really liked it. It was slick and I did not have any issues with my Mergress. The consistency reminds of me the Body Shop maca root shaving cream. I had no trouble lathering, although my lathering technique has improved greatly since my last posts in this thread. I highly recommend trying out the Old Spice shaving creams!

full

The shaving photo below shows one of my routine shaves with one exception - Mamabear aftershave. This is fanastic stuff. I am a big fan of Nivea's sensitive ASB. Looks like I found a strong competitor! In record time I found this aftershave completely absorbed by my skin. I have been hunting for a decent aftershave that is unscented. Looks like I have found one that is perfect so it doesn't clash with my fragrance of the day. I would recommend this product as well.

full

Attachments

• $img-20120323-00227_thumb.jpg
    $img-20120323-00227_thumb.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 207
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks,

Here is my next shave update:

I decided to use Real Shaving Co. along with my Merkur 34C. I was not impressed at all with the lather. I ended up doing just two passes. I was very curious to experience the Australian Brut. It definitely has a unique fragrance when compared to the North American version. I also tried a Crown razor blade. I didn't find as sharp but rather smooth. I will try it again.

Just another note, I have contacted the next member regarding details for shipment.

full

The timing of Tokyo wasn't ideal with me being out of town and in too much of a rush since getting back, but I have managed to get in a few more shaves. In order to give the creams a fair shake, I've been using my Slim/Feather combo with each.

The Cella is my wife's favourite, based on smell alone. I had a bit of trouble getting the quality of lather out of it that I would have liked. Even with a few attempts, the best cushion I could get was 'competent'.

Next up was the P160. My wife liked the scent, but not quite as much as the Cella. I found it easier to get a thick, rich lather out of the P160 and it resulted in a nice, mild shave.

Last night, I got a crack at the Momma Bear Lime and Menthol (iirc). I'm usually not a fan of glycerine soaps, but it really worked well for me. The scent was softer than expected and it was crisp without being overpowering. It lathered up easily, but unlike a lot of glycerine soaps, the lather didn't disappear when I was making my first pass. Overall, I'm quite impressed.

Now that I'm running out of time with the box, I think I'll give the single edge razors a shot with my usual soap and prep. Actually, what I should do is pull everything out of the box and come up with a game plan. I'll update again soon.

Nice to see you had the same experience with the Italian soaps that I have had. Despite having a whole lot of support here at B&B, I also found that Cella just does not perform that well. Some cushion, but not much, and it detrimentally lacks slickness. Though, I agree with your wife about the scent:thumbup1:

Similarly, I totally agree with your P160 experience. After I finally figured out how to lather with it (P160 was the first Italian Soap that I got to use), it performed well and does also have a nice scent. Shame they don't make it anymore.

Since I am the last one on the list, what exactly should I be doing with the box? PIF, draw, sale, auction, get the list extended so I'm no longer on the end of it?

I am kinda lazy, so I'd prefer not to part out each item individually. I don't know how much attention the sales thread for four Derby blades would get anyway.

Since I am the last one on the list, what exactly should I be doing with the box? PIF, draw, sale, auction, get the list extended so I'm no longer on the end of it?

I am kinda lazy, so I'd prefer not to part out each item individually. I don't know how much attention the sales thread for four Derby blades would get anyway.

I believe that the original idea was that the boxes head back to Terry, then he PIFs off some of the contents, sells the rest and gives the proceeds to B&B. Since then, Terry has been moved around a bit because of work, he may not be able to get on to B&B as much as in the past. Perhaps send him a PM to see what he thinks.

Here is my final picture:

I shaved earlier today using palmolive shave stick. This was my first experience using a shave stick. I really like this stuff! My first pass was smooth, the third (final) pass was not as slick. Perhaps this was my technique - wrong? Anyway, I did enjoy this shave stick.

I have removed the Gillette blades and replaced them with a variety of unique Europe only brands.

I wish to thank everyone for this amazing experience.

I private messaged the next recipient (either on monday or tuesday) but I have not heard from him. I believe the next recipient may have his contact information. I am going to assume if we don't hear from him that I would ship to next recipient in the list.

PS. Just realized the blade was not in the shot. It was an ASTRA blade for the record.

Hey everyone. I haven't been on for a while. I've been in touch with Sentinel and have asked him to take the box and offer up for sale on BST either in part or whole. The proceeds can then be donated to B&B.

As for the other box. I look forward to seeing the contents. At that point I'll see if there's anything I want to try as well. Thank you. I hope all the participants have enjoyed the boxes!

I'm a little behind on getting Tokyo split up and ready for sale. Before I finish that up, I don't suppose anybody is wanting to buy the entire box? If so, shipping is on me.

Things haven't quite worked out with the selling the box as a whole yet, but for a mere $50 or more to B&B, this could all be yours with shipping on me:

proxy.php

This isn't first come first served, so feel free to wave around money for the next few days. After that, I'll break it into a few smaller kits in this thread and failing that they'll go up in the BST forum.

I'll take the box for $50. If that is what you are offering.

Some great stuff there - not to mention plenty of reviews to let you know what you are getting!

Thank you, Mister K. Tokyo is not getting split up. I'll take the highest offer by tomorrow at 5pm PDT.

There's Cella and P160 in the box! All they money goes to B&B! Shipping is free!

Also, there are some DE blades that aren't included in the picture.

Received Kyoto today in good order. Will post images later. In the meantime, I had the opportunity to use some products.

First up, a handmade ayurvedic shampoo bar that came in a brown paper bag. It lathered nicely but left my hair sticky. Worked better as a body bar and I enjoyed the exfoliating effect of the embedded coffee grounds. Scent was medicinal though, not my thing. The shave went better with a new Shark blade from the provided sampler and a decent three-pass shave with Godrej shaving cream. It wasn't the closest shave but quite enjoyable, even more being in such high spirits after having just received the Travelling Box. The Godrej had a nice conditioning effect wherein I didn't feel the need for an aftershave. Nevertheless, I splashed on some Clubman which was somewhat akin to inhaling cotton candy through lemon and alcohol. I don't know what I think of it yet.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:Hey Hey Hey Hey. I am surprised nobody else dove in to bid on Tokyo, I am quite happy to have won the box. TheSentinal and I have PMed each other already, now I just have to wait for the box to make its long trek across the country, again.

Thanks to all who have added to the box, your choices are what inspired me to make an offer, this is a nice selection of shaving items. And thanks again to TheSentinal (for shipping the box and handling the end) and Terry (for setting it all up):thumbup:

snip

The Godrej had a nice conditioning effect wherein I didn't feel the need for an aftershave. Nevertheless, I splashed on some Clubman which was somewhat akin to inhaling cotton candy through lemon and alcohol. I don't know what I think of it yet.
:lol:This description did a number on my senses!

Top Bottom