What's new

Great Blade Face Off - Astra Superior Platinum vs Polsilver Super Iridium

GREAT BLADE FACE OFF-
Astra Superior Platinum vs Polsilver Super Iridium

Both blades placed in Edwin Jagger DE safety razors with the only difference being the handle length. (Kelvin & DE 89)

Both get one half of my face. The shave will consist of a three-pass shave, performed every other day, and each challenger will switch sides on the next round. Let's have a fair fight, go to your corners, and come out swing'in!

Round one-
Astra was smooth on all three passes. Polsilver tugged a bit on the first two passes, but did settle in by the third pass. The post-shave smoothness appears to be near equal with maybe a slight edge going to Polsilver. The smooth glide of Astra could not however, be overlooked.
Winner-Astra

Round two-
The second round found both blades coming out strong. Neither appeared tired. From the first pass to the third, each gave equal smoothness & glide over the Edwin Jagger sandalwood scented soap. Post-shave judge, (the wife) declared the winner of round two to be once again-Astra

Round three-
With a great lather courtesy of Saponificio Varesino, it was an easy round to judge. Astra, all though hanging strong, was easily beaten by Polsilver in round three. The Astra side had an ever-so-slight pull that was not noticed in the previous rounds. Polsilver was so smooth, it as if there was not even a blade in the razor. Post-shave smoothness went to Polsilver hands down.
Winner-Polsilver

Round four-
What appeared to be a slow fade by Astra was anything but in the 4th round! After switching sides, and a great lathering by I Coloniali Mango shaving soap, Astra delivered a near knockout blow to crowd favorite Polsilver. An unexpected round to say the least, Astra finished smooth as in round one.
Winner-Astra

Round five-
Round five sponsor, Fine L'Orange Noir shave soap, provided plenty of cushion, but the 5th and final round did not disappoint, with both blades drawing blood, literally. Astra in two spots and Polsilver in one. In this epic final round, Polsilver edged out Astra to make things interesting in this battle of the blades.
Winner-Polsilver

Final notes-
In the end, it was Astra Superior Platinum who was declared the winner over crowd favorite, Polsilver Super Iridium. Not only did Astra win more rounds, but also gave extremely smooth shaves on the first few rounds. Both blades proved worthy of your hard earned $$ in my opinion, with the difference in smoothness between the two very difficult to judge at times. With that being said, if I had to go into the desert with just one blade today, it would have to be Astra. To further test each blades endurance, each one will now go on to perform at least two full face shaves, hopefully without drawing more blood.

Great job and very entertaining! Thanks! :thumbup1:

I just started using the Edwin Jagger Kelvin that I bought months ago. This is actually the first time that I've written about using it. It is my third razor, my first being the PAA DOC Satin, which I've been using for months, and the second safety razor being the Dorco PL602, which I just tried briefly and put aside. The EJ Kelvin is a BEAUTIFUL razor! As for performance, the EJ DE89 head is getting me closer shaves with a lot less applied pressure---light pressure is necessary with the EJ head or else I'm in trouble---but I am disappointed in how much friction there is with the EJ head compared to the PAA DOC Satin. I guess that I never appreciated how the PAA DOC's open comb design really cut down on friction. I understood the idea, but I never had any personal experience to fairly judge for myself. Now I do, and it was noticeable from the start. I don't even know if the level of friction is normal because of my lack of experience. Anyway, the performance is making me use better technique with light pressure. The performance has other issues, but I just started using the EJ Kelvin, so I know that I need to keep using it and give it a fair shake and dial it in. I look forward to trying it with other blades in the process.

EXCELLENT POST!! Well written and entertaining. Your experience is consistent with my personal preference for Astras, by a small margin!

EXCELLENT POST!! Well written and entertaining. Your experience is consistent with my personal preference for Astras, by a small margin!
Glad you enjoyed it. I am/was a big Polsilver fan, but this may have changed things for me. The next bout will be the battle of the Gilletes, where Silver Blue will face off with 7 o'clock Supe Platinum. The winner will go on for a title bout against Asta. It should be entertaining.

I'm planning on ATTEMPTING to use one Astra SP in a Gillette Fatboy for the entire month of February. Realistically that translates to approximately 20 shaves for the month given my work schedule. We'll see!

Fun thread, thanks for sharing. Look forward to another matchup.

I personally prefer polsilvers over Astras. I find them to be sharper and frankly just as smooth, particularly after the first shave. They also last longer for me.

Great post! I've used more Polsilvers just because I find them to be a tad sharper than Astras. I haven't compared longevity though. Both are good blades.

Great thread! I was surprised to see Astra give Polsilver such a good fight. Well done.
As was I! In the end, I could not really find a defining benefit of Polsilver over Astra. As a huge Polsilver fan, this left me a little perplexed since I was pretty darn certain they were going to come out far superior, especially when it came to longevity.

I'm planning on ATTEMPTING to use one Astra SP in a Gillette Fatboy for the entire month of February. Realistically that translates to approximately 20 shaves for the month given my work schedule. We'll see!
Share the results! I would love to know if my test was just an anomaly!

Hey Lane ( @Highspeedlane ) - hows it going with your Polsilver Iridium this month? Both the Polsilver Iridium and Stainless blades hold up well over here.

GREAT BLADE FACE OFF-
Astra Superior Platinum vs Polsilver Super Iridium

Both blades placed in Edwin Jagger DE safety razors with the only difference being the handle length. (Kelvin & DE 89)

Both get one half of my face. The shave will consist of a three-pass shave, performed every other day, and each challenger will switch sides on the next round. Let's have a fair fight, go to your corners, and come out swing'in!

Round one-
Astra was smooth on all three passes. Polsilver tugged a bit on the first two passes, but did settle in by the third pass. The post-shave smoothness appears to be near equal with maybe a slight edge going to Polsilver. The smooth glide of Astra could not however, be overlooked.
Winner-Astra

Round two-
The second round found both blades coming out strong. Neither appeared tired. From the first pass to the third, each gave equal smoothness & glide over the Edwin Jagger sandalwood scented soap. Post-shave judge, (the wife) declared the winner of round two to be once again-Astra

Round three-
With a great lather courtesy of Saponificio Varesino, it was an easy round to judge. Astra, all though hanging strong, was easily beaten by Polsilver in round three. The Astra side had an ever-so-slight pull that was not noticed in the previous rounds. Polsilver was so smooth, it as if there was not even a blade in the razor. Post-shave smoothness went to Polsilver hands down.
Winner-Polsilver

Round four-
What appeared to be a slow fade by Astra was anything but in the 4th round! After switching sides, and a great lathering by I Coloniali Mango shaving soap, Astra delivered a near knockout blow to crowd favorite Polsilver. An unexpected round to say the least, Astra finished smooth as in round one.
Winner-Astra

Round five-
Round five sponsor, Fine L'Orange Noir shave soap, provided plenty of cushion, but the 5th and final round did not disappoint, with both blades drawing blood, literally. Astra in two spots and Polsilver in one. In this epic final round, Polsilver edged out Astra to make things interesting in this battle of the blades.
Winner-Polsilver

Final notes-
In the end, it was Astra Superior Platinum who was declared the winner over crowd favorite, Polsilver Super Iridium. Not only did Astra win more rounds, but also gave extremely smooth shaves on the first few rounds. Both blades proved worthy of your hard earned $$ in my opinion, with the difference in smoothness between the two very difficult to judge at times. With that being said, if I had to go into the desert with just one blade today, it would have to be Astra. To further test each blades endurance, each one will now go on to perform at least two full face shaves, hopefully without drawing more blood.

It definitely is one of those YMMV type of thing. I know for me personally, Polsilver blows Astra SP's out of the water every time.

I’m strong on the Astra side. I gave away nearly 200 Polsilver blades because I just couldn’t get them to smooth out on fairly sensitive skin. Astras are an old standby for me.
I know some love Polsilver blades and I understand that thoroughly. They just didn’t work for me.

I’m strong on the Astra side. I gave away nearly 200 Polsilver blades because I just couldn’t get them to smooth out on fairly sensitive skin. Astras are an old standby for me.
I know some love Polsilver blades and I understand that thoroughly. They just didn’t work for me.

Astra SP maybe better for people with sensitive skin. Since my skin is not sensitive (for the most part), Polsilver is incredibly smooth. Astra SP on the first shave is incredibly smooth but somehow on the second shave on (without fail), the blades get dull fast.

I haven't used the astra SP or SS in years but the Polsilver is my daily blade due to its buttery smooth sharpness.

The astra just wasn't sharp enough for my stubble...hardly a DFS could be achieved.

The Polsilver not only gets me BBS, but with the glass-like finish that I prefer.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I haven't used the astra SP or SS in years but the Polsilver is my daily blade due to its buttery smooth sharpness.

The astra just wasn't sharp enough for my stubble...hardly a DFS could be achieved.

The Polsilver not only gets me BBS, but with the glass-like finish that I prefer.
Are you using new stock blades? I need to get some.

I've never been a Polsilver fan, so this doesn't surprise me. Astra SP is a good blade, but you can go better like Nacet and GSB, maybe Yellows too.

Top Bottom