What's new

Great actors in bad movies

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe, Leonardo DeCapprio, Sharon Stone, Lance Henrickson, Gary Sinise, Pat Hingle in The Quick & The Dead. How can that many well known actors make such a bad movie?
Blame it on director Sam Raimi and all those zooms to the clock. Nonetheless, I rather enjoyed it.

A great actor with a LOUSY accountant who ruined his finances, forcing him to make bad movies.

Maybe the accountant is to blame--he is apparently suing his manager, too--but I do not think the accountant told him to buy a dinosaur skeleton for $150 million or whatever it was or to buy something like 30-50 cars or to get arrested for disturbing the peace and whatever other self-destructive things he has chosen to do! I think he is a great actor myself, but I think he has some personal issues. Lots of good actors seem to make bad movies, and it does seem like it is often in order to generate some quick money. But it does seem mighty myopic to me. There were probably times when I would have considered seeing a movie just because Cage was in it. Now his being it a movie is a red flag to me that the movie may be terrible!

He is a high school drop out. That might not have helped! He comes from a very successful family. Seems like they could have pointed him toward good accountants and lawyers, if that was the problem!

Maybe the accountant is to blame--he is apparently suing his manager, too--but I do not think the accountant told him to buy a dinosaur skeleton for $150 million or whatever it was or to buy something like 30-50 cars or to get arrested for disturbing the peace and whatever other self-destructive things he has chosen to do! I think he is a great actor myself, but I think he has some personal issues. Lots of good actors seem to make bad movies, and it does seem like it is often in order to generate some quick money. But it does seem mighty myopic to me. There were probably times when I would have considered seeing a movie just because Cage was in it. Now his being it a movie is a red flag to me that the movie may be terrible!

He is a high school drop out. That might not have helped! He comes from a very successful family. Seems like they could have pointed him toward good accountants and lawyers, if that was the problem!
Some good actors make a ton of bad movies and are able to continue to get good parts. Look at Michael Caine!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1610756753374.png

"The Conqueror" wasn't just a bad movie ... it wasn't just so bad it killed careers ... it was so bad it actually killed half the actors and actresses who were in it!!

Just watched the movie Deadfall which is truly terrible and features not only the great Nic Cage chewing the scenery, but James Coburn showing he too can be in a stinker. Also features Peter Fonda sleepwalking and the tall man himself Angus Scrimm

Some good actors make a ton of bad movies and are able to continue to get good parts. Look at Michael Caine!
Good example. Also no great scandals associated with him. Working class background, yet he has managed his money well, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, necrothread....I remember reading about when someone asked Michael Caine about that bad Jaws movie he was in. He said something along the lines of..."Yes, I hear it's bad and I've never actually seen it, but I have seen the beautiful house that it bought my mother."

To add to the thread how about James Earl Jones in City Limits. I seriously felt bad for him.

Patrick Stewart in Wild Geese 2. His house had been damaged in a storm and he didn't have the money to have it repaired. His agent brought up this movie that wanted him for a bit part, but recommended against it. The film people just happened to offer him the exact amount needed to repair his house.

Top Bottom