What's new

Grazie B&B Cafe ( & Bialetti)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I gotta tell you. I've done the Moka pot many times and with a handful of different coffees, but it just doesn't quite make it for me. I've even tried freshly ground.

It's not a bad cup mind you, but it's like it wants to be espresso but never will be. It's like an actor that doesn't quite fit the part. I have a hard time thinking about what it isn't, rather than what it is.

I'm glad it's out there for those who like it, and I've not given up on it. However, for those times I want something other than espresso, I strongly prefer my French press both for quality and lack of hassle. Even if I didn't have the luxury of espresso at home, I'd still prefer my French press.

I gotta tell you. I've done the Moka pot many times and with a handful of different coffees, but it just doesn't quite make it for me. I've even tried freshly ground.

It's not a bad cup mind you, but it's like it wants to be espresso but never will be. It's like an actor that doesn't quite fit the part. I have a hard time thinking about what it isn't, rather than what it is.

I'm glad it's out there for those who like it, and I've not given up on it. However, for those times I want something other than espresso, I strongly prefer my French press both for quality and lack of hassle. Even if I didn't have the luxury of espresso at home, I'd still prefer my French press.
Moka isn’t trying to be espresso, it’s Moka. I do Moka, espresso and press at my home, and do two if not all three in the same day. I greatly enjoy each one for what they are and not what they aren’t. Sometimes I want something stronger than press, but not espresso, that’s moka.

it's like it wants to be espresso but never will be.
You're right, the Moka Pot isn't espresso. It's just not. It shouldn't be expected to be. The Moka uses 1-2 bars to brew it's coffee. The typical espresso machine uses 5-10 bars.
However, for 80 or 90 years for much of the world coffee/espresso has meant Moka Pot coffee.

I have wanted mukka pot for years, just haven't come across one in my thrift store wanderings. They froth the milk, then brew (one step)

proxy.php

Don't call it "Moka". What people hear is "Mocha". Remember the first espresso machines were steam powered. Today's "espresso" was a later development when high pressure mechanical pumps were utilized.

Just add water and stir.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Moka isn’t trying to be espresso, it’s Moka. I do Moka, espresso and press at my home, and do two if not all three in the same day. I greatly enjoy each one for what they are and not what they aren’t. Sometimes I want something stronger than press, but not espresso, that’s moka.

This is the proper answer. A moka coffee is a moka coffee, an espresso coffee is an espresso coffee. They are just different and, at the same time, they are both great.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You definitely must, Doc. I'm pretty sure you won't regret your choice.
First thoughts ?

Still loving it.

I have to replace the gasket though, as the one in mine is getting mangled and the unit is starting to leak at the join during brewing.

But ... this remains a very good way to make coffee. I really like being able to put it on the stove at a low temperature and let it sit while I go off and exercise or whatever, and when I come back crank the heat and it brews right away.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Oh good call, this inspires me to whip out my moka pot. I gotta remember that "a cup" isn't equal to "a mug". One of the first times I made a moka pot and poured myself a mugful... about an hour later I could hear my own pulse.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I got my new gasket in last night, and brewed my first cuppa joe with it this morning ... and maybe it was just me but ... it seemed to brew up significantly faster!

Top Bottom