What's new

Graydog is killing me

The spalted maple you have been finding has finally got to me.
I had a slab of maple I threw knives at for a while till it split open. Well if it hadn't spalted :)
Its been sitting in the shop for a while and today was the day to turn a brush handle from it.
I typically turn to a crisp transition at the knot hole but being wood I left it a little heavier.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Probable knot for it,

proxy.php

Thats a pretty fancy knife throwing target. That brush looks beautiful. What type of finish coat are you using?

There is no finish on it yet. The knot is just placed in.
I'm thinking either spray on lacquer, polyurethane (better for hot water) or epoxy.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
It does look really good. That spalted maple turns into fantastic looking brush handles.

Sorry I meant going to use. That looks like a good choice for the knot. The colors go really well together. I really like the shape you went with, it let's the beauty of the wood show and looks like it would be very comfortable to use.

Thank you everyone.

Sorry I meant going to use. That looks like a good choice for the knot. The colors go really well together. I really like the shape you went with, it let's the beauty of the wood show and looks like it would be very comfortable to use.

It really is beautiful wood. Only a clear finish will do.
I really like this shape as well, slight variations sometimes but the shape is very comfortable in the hand.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
No, I don't have the equipment to stabilize it.
I don't think vintage wood handles were stabilized either.
I use CA to finish and it stabilizes somewhat
at the same time. The first 4 or 5 layers soak in
and I have found that really helps.
Very nice looking handle . I really like the way Blackline in Maple looks.

I use CA to finish and it stabilizes somewhat
at the same time. The first 4 or 5 layers soak in
and I have found that really helps.
Very nice looking handle . I really like the way Blackline in Maple looks.

I was thinking about soaking it in wipe on poly for a while. Its a very durable finish and the soaking will help with penetration.
After you posted this I remember there is a member who live not far from me who can stabilize wood.
I have 7 more blocks 2x2 x3 that I will ask to have stabilized from him.
I cant wait!

Top Bottom