What's new

Graphic Tees

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
During the years my kids were in college, I loaded up on the spirit wear from their respective schools (t-shirts, hats, 1/4 zip sweaters) as well as tees from various other places along the way.

I would usually wear them around the house, to the beach, running to the store or just wearing them to sleep.

Now that my kids are both out of college, I’ve been picking up some graphic t-shirts with vintage automotive decals that I recall from my youth such as:

14F799BA-6672-46D8-B2C6-3434C270AA95.jpeg
2263B68E-6DE4-4D57-8C74-6FE35D2DABC9.png
FA7C1DEB-37F2-4407-941C-F6FF8955E809.jpeg

Like many kids from my generation who grew up in the early 70’s, I used to collect these decals and affix them to my school book covers, bicycle, stereo speaker cabinets or my bedroom door (which would inevitably **** off my parents 😀).

The decals on these tshirts provide some fun nostalgia for me.

Recently, I just purchased some tee shirts from Redbubble and Teepublic. The shirts from Redbubble were fine.

However, the decal on the “Hijacker” t-shirt from Teepublic began to peel off after the very first wash (washed as per instructions - warm water, inside out and placed in the dryer).

I thought: “ Oh well, what can you do?”

A few days later I received an email from Teepublic asking if I was happy with my purchase. I made mention of the issue with the decal on the one shirt. They asked for a pic which I snapped from my phone and sent it to them.

The next day I received a shipping confirmation for a new shirt with an email apologizing for the inconvenience and advising me to just keep the other shirt.

Now that’s excellent customer service.

6C5580E4-DD8A-470E-AF07-0399AAC2C092.jpeg

(not affiliated with either company.)

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Aside from the motorhead logos, I have a few tees with the Craftsman 1950's Oval and 1960's Crown Logos (before craftsman shipped fabrication to China).

93440afa1a81a7d1711e1d1a9a104396.jpeg

Craftsman-Logo-1960.jpg

Incidentally, I don't know if you knew, but Stanley / Black & Decker bought Craftsman from Sears and is manufacturing a lot of items in the US.
They are scheduled to open a big plant in Texas later this year to make US made wrenches and other hand tools. Supposed to be a new type of chroming process done on site.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Aside from the motorhead logos, I have a few tees with the Craftsman 1950's Oval and 1960's Crown Logos (before craftsman shipped fabrication to China).

View attachment 1295939
View attachment 1295940

Incidentally, I don't know if you knew, but Stanley / Black & Decker bought Craftsman from Sears and is manufacturing a lot of items in the US.
They are scheduled to open a big plant in Texas later this year to make US made wrenches and other hand tools. Supposed to be a new type of chroming process done on site.
Very interesting indeed.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve never been in to the graphic tees. I always found them to be cheap quality. As you say - logos peeling after a few washes. Or just cheap fabric. So I just stick with the minimal logos of name brand tees, like North Face, Yeti, Carhartt, Deluth Trading. One exception is the Authentic Collection of MLB tees. Of course they have large graphics all over them but they are very good quality too.

It seems to me like vintage clothing is very popular. Or has been for a while now. Guy I work with is always trying to track down vintage t-shirts. Such as vintage Golds Gym tank tops and work out tees. American Pickers had an episode where they picked a MASSIVE collection of vintage band shirts. Those were very cool. So I’d probably wear something old and cool. But new stuff…IDK. It would have to be a better quality of graphic tee than I’ve seen.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There is always the DIY option. Iron on transfers have come a LONG way. Buy a plain quality shirt to your liking and print up whatever you like.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Another fave was the AC Spark Plug “Ring of Fire” logo. I remember putting this one on the rear window of my dad’s Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser. I thought it looked awesome.

Oddly enough, the next day, when I looked at my dad’s car, that decal was gone. It remains an unsolved mystery to this very day. 😀
EEA6EB17-9204-4022-A351-ABDF027B69F6.jpeg

And while we’re on the subject of spark plugs…

73ED4362-734A-4B85-A6CC-CDDA3C3AFA4B.jpeg

I said… Fix it.

ECD878A8-E6A0-4F21-903D-7DCB762A5562.jpeg

Awesome to hear about the customer service there. I find myself wearing fewer and fewer t-shirts. But apparently people still like to gift them to me. I recently removed several from my drawer to find better homes.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I like the ones from Ranger Up. Lots of different themes but a good starting point may be the "nose art" t-shirts.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Replacement tee (on the left) arrived from TeePublic. As you can see, the design remained intact after washing whereas the design on the right started to peel off after one wash.

Thanks TeePublic. Nicely done.
E3EE60B4-F7AD-434C-BCAF-EB1F5AECACCF.jpeg

Some graphic tees are very durable. I have 25+ years worth of Harley Davidson tees from all over the world. The graphics hold up as long as the shirt does. I also have a pile of bike week t shirts. They are cheaper to buy than a HD shirt and often times not as well made. I wore an inexpensive 2014 bike week tee shirt from a swap meet vendor last week. This thread made me pay attention graphics. It has held up very well.

Walmart has some inexpensive retro graphic tees. They are nice shirts and hold up well.

I have a few. Gap, Walmart and BSA themed ones seem to dominate my collection. I wash them in cold inside out and dry on medium or line dry to preserve them a bit longer.

Just was gifted one from Uniqlo with an "Ultraman" theme.

Top Bottom