What's new

Grape seed oil pre-shave

After seeing the revived thread about extra virgin olive oil as a pre shave, I got to thinking but instead of using olive oil(currently not in stock in the pantry) I opted for grape seed oil. I like using it for cooking because it has a high smoke point but it turns out grape seed oil also has numerous benefits for the skin. http://www.foreverlookingood.com/benefits-of-grape-seed-oil

I used it for the first time tonight so I can't give first hand experience to the long term benefits but I can tell you that my skin feels good. I was able to get a very smooth and close shave. It is hard to tell if it because of the grape seed oil because my technique is improving and I am getting consistently better shaves. I plan to keep using grape seed oil in my routine for at least a few weeks and see if I notice any benefits.

After seeing the revived thread about extra virgin olive oil as a pre shave, I got to thinking but instead of using olive oil(currently not in stock in the pantry) I opted for grape seed oil. I like using it for cooking because it has a high smoke point but it turns out grape seed oil also has numerous benefits for the skin. http://www.foreverlookingood.com/benefits-of-grape-seed-oil

I used it for the first time tonight so I can't give first hand experience to the long term benefits but I can tell you that my skin feels good. I was able to get a very smooth and close shave. It is hard to tell if it because of the grape seed oil because my technique is improving and I am getting consistently better shaves. I plan to keep using grape seed oil in my routine for at least a few weeks and see if I notice any benefits.

From Wiki; Grape seed oil is a preferred cosmetic ingredient for control of skin moisturization. A light, thin oil, grape seed oil leaves a glossy film over the skin when used as a carrier oil for essential oils in aromatherapy. It contains more linoleic acid than many other carrier oils. Grape seed oil is also used as a lubricant for face shaving.

Olive Oil; Skin care In addition to the internal health benefits of olive oil, topical application is quite popular with fans of natural health remedies. Extra virgin olive oil is the preferred grade for moisturizing the skin, especially when used in the oil cleansing method (OCM). OCM is a method of cleansing and moisturizing the face with a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, castor oil (or another suitable carrier oil) and a select blend of essential oils.[citation needed] Olive oil is also used by some to reduce ear wax buildup.[45]
Olive oil can be used as an effective shaving oil to shave facial and other body hair.[citation needed]
In Calabria, the women regularly use the oil to take care of their hair and hands.[citation needed]
Studies on mice showed that application of olive oil immediately following exposure to UVB rays has a preventive effect on the formation of tumors and skin cancer.[46][47]
Jeanne Calment, who holds the record for the longest confirmed lifespan, reportedly attributed her longevity and relatively youthful appearance to olive oil, which she said she poured on all her food and rubbed into her skin.[48]

In a 4oz container I blend two parts Grape seed oil with one part Olive Oil and add three drops EO fragrance, Lavender in Summer, Bergamot Mint in Winter. I also use it as a skin moisturizer in the Winter Months. Even if it doesn't add to your shave both oils are good if you suffer from dry or itchy skin

Last edited:
Two EO's with helpful properties, info can be verified by any EO Vendor website or Wiki:

Lavender 40/20- Promotes growth of new skin cells, healing affect on burns and sunburns, acne, psoriasis, boils, fungal growths and scarring.

40/20 refers to the Linalyl acetate content and is a blend of various Lavenders to get a consistent scent from batch to batch, and is 1/2 the price of other Lavenders.

Bergamot Mint- Chemistry is similar to Lavender and is easier on the skin than other mint oils and is used for cooling and calming. The Aroma reduces stress and anxiety, used in moisturizing lotions.

From Wiki; Grape seed oil is a preferred cosmetic ingredient for control of skin moisturization. A light, thin oil, grape seed oil leaves a glossy film over the skin when used as a carrier oil for essential oils in aromatherapy. It contains more linoleic acid than many other carrier oils. Grape seed oil is also used as a lubricant for face shaving.

This Wiki entry seems to be describing cosmetic grade grape seed oil. I am using 100% pure grape seed oil that is food grade quality. mftoms59, do you have experience using cosmetic grade or food grade grape seed oil for you home made pre-shave?

Last edited:
This Wiki entry seems to be describing cosmetic grade grape seed oil. I am using 100% pure grape seed oil that is food grade quality. mftoms59, do you have experience using cosmetic grade or food grade grape seed oil for you home made pre-shave?

... which is a higher quality due to human consumption. Checked my bottle; suggested uses include using as a skin moisturizer, Didn't think about the different grades, good question :thumbup1:, hope this clarifies.

In a 4oz container I blend two parts Grape seed oil with one part Olive Oil and add three drops EO fragrance, Lavender in Summer, Bergamot Mint in Winter. I also use it as a skin moisturizer in the Winter Months. Even if it doesn't add to your shave both oils are good if you suffer from dry or itchy skin

Sounds like a good recipe. Can you explain how you use it as a moisturizer? Rub on and wash off, or let it soak in?

Sounds like a good recipe. Can you explain how you use it as a moisturizer? Rub on and wash off, or let it soak in?

My skin, especially my face, gets dry & flaky in the Winter. Before going to bed I apply ~3 drops on my damp palms and massage into my face & any other dry areas, If you feel filmy or greasy your applying too much.

During my morning shower, I'm washed clean no residue on face or body, I'll also apply ~3 drops on my whiskers ~10 minutes before shaving. IMHO the oil helps make my skin more pliable and in combination with my Cold Water Shave prevents nicks, cuts and weepers in my shaving routine. In my experience the cold water tightens the skin, and helps raise the whiskers. Last Mishap ~ 3 months ago, pre- Cw shaving.

After the shave I apply some ASB and my scent for the day, no skin problems using this routine, hope this helps. :thumbup:

... which is a higher quality due to human consumption. Checked my bottle; suggested uses include using as a skin moisturizer, Didn't think about the different grades, good question :thumbup1:, hope this clarifies.

My skin, especially my face, gets dry & flaky in the Winter. Before going to bed I apply ~3 drops on my damp palms and massage into my face & any other dry areas, If you feel filmy or greasy your applying too much.

During my morning shower, I'm washed clean no residue on face or body, I'll also apply ~3 drops on my whiskers ~10 minutes before shaving. IMHO the oil helps make my skin more pliable and in combination with my Cold Water Shave prevents nicks, cuts and weepers in my shaving routine. In my experience the cold water tightens the skin, and helps raise the whiskers. Last Mishap ~ 3 months ago, pre- Cw shaving.

After the shave I apply some ASB and my scent for the day, no skin problems using this routine, hope this helps. :thumbup:

mftoms59, thank you for your insight into this subject. You clearly have much experience. I have also been cold water shaving and the addition of grape seed oil seems to work very well with it. Perhaps I will make a recipe similar to your home made pre-shave oil. My forehead area gets a little dry in the winter so I might start using it as a moisturizer before bed as well.

My home brew:

50% EVOO
50% Grapeseed oil
several drops of essential oil

Although I am using the preshave oil less and less, I have experienced improved moisturizing and better glide with the oil. I will use the oil with soaps only. I seem to get great glide with my creams.

mftoms59, thank you for your insight into this subject. You clearly have much experience. I have also been cold water shaving and the addition of grape seed oil seems to work very well with it. Perhaps I will make a recipe similar to your home made pre-shave oil. My forehead area gets a little dry in the winter so I might start using it as a moisturizer before bed as well.

.... to the B&B members, reading many different ideas, experiences and product reviews has helped to improve my own shaving experience.

I originally got the recipe for the pre- shave from the internet, which had called for Castor Oil & Olive Oil. I found the pre- shave was too thick and clogged the razor. Using Wikipedia I researched alternatives to Castor; tried Mineral Oil and while it improved the shave, it was a Petroleum Based oil.

I wanted to keep the Oils vegetable based and the two finalists were Jojoba & Grape seed, cost was a difference of a dollar or two, and went with the latter.

My forehead becomes dry during the winter, the overnight application of oil has helped, I also massage it into my scalp and quit using Gels or Mousse, switched to VITALIS and GROOM &CLEAN and my scalp isn't as dry.

I've gotten away from liquid soap as I have found it left a dry itchy red spot on my chest & dried out my face, I switched to a Tallow base Bar Soap and ~2 weeks later the dry spot and itchiness disappeared.

I grew up using Olive Oil exclusively (I'm Italian) which is known as "Liquid Gold" in my Family and has many uses.

If you'd like more info on Olive Oil, I would recommend checking out " The Healing powers Of Olive Oil" by Cal Orey, your Library may carry it.

BTW if you have Water Rings on your wooden furniture place a small drop or two of Olive Oil on a soft cloth and buff... Bye Bye spot, shines up the wood nicely:001_cool:.

Didn't mean to write a Novella, just wanted to toss a few ideas your way.

Glad To Be Of Help, don't be afraid to experiment with your soaps, creams or oils, that's part of the fun shaving.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: THE OBJECT OF YOUR SHAVE IS COMFORT 1ST :shaving:

Great ideas - the only caution you should be aware of with essential oils is that at 3% you are into therapeutic levels. For most of them that's not a big deal, lavender in particular is very safe and can actually be applied directly to the skin.

Wonderful thread!

Great ideas - the only caution you should be aware of with essential oils is that at 3% you are into therapeutic levels. For most of them that's not a big deal, lavender in particular is very safe and can actually be applied directly to the skin.

Wonderful thread!

in choosing the two scents; Lavender 40/20 and Bergamot Mint was their gentleness to the skin & their healing benefits.

BUT I didn't consider the Quality of the oil and by Trial :detective: & Error:excl: I settled on 3 drops per 4ozs of the Pre- Shave Oil Blend, My initial Test was 15 drops :w00t:.

This provided a mild tingle and redness, I cleaned my face and severely reduced it to 3 drops providing the scent and none of the previous reactions.

:thumbup1: Yeah trial and error is a good way to learn, although as you found out it can be painful. I take it the Bergamot Mint is a blend you found somewhere? It actually sounds like it would smell pretty good - I sense another experiment sneaking up on me! :lol:

Since reading a thread a few days in regards to using olive oil as a Pre shave, I tried it immediately my next shave. It was a wow factor. The last 4 days, my face has been glowing, and looks and feels great. My shaves are very smooth as well. I tried the AOS Pre shave oil, and to me, it doesn't compare to olive oil. I going to mix up my shaves with some avocado/lemon oil as well.

Top Bottom