What's new

Grand Shave King

Here are photos of the Grand Shave King. I will be using this razor for tomorrow's shave.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Roderick. You are on a roll!! And a new avatar! Heard the PAA DOC model loosely based (shamelessly copied) on this razor is pretty mild. The original design seemed to have merit. Look forward to your reviews.. Also watching your Eclipse and Probak threads for possible reviews....
TT

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
That's the Grand Shave King!

Now I understand.

Roderick, I always got a kick out of your last avatar.

What blade?
Astra SP
Roderick. You are on a roll!! And a new avatar! Heard the PAA DOC model loosely based (shamelessly copied) on this razor is pretty mild. The original design seemed to have merit. Look forward to your reviews.. Also watching your Eclipse and Probak threads for possible reviews....
TT
Here is today's SOTD.
Arko Stick
Omega 10083 pro
Retinol Men ASB
Pinaud Clubman VIBR
A great shave. I started with the head tightened all the way and it was very mild. I loosened it two settings and it was aggressive and rough. I turned it back on notch and found the sweetspot. A very smooth close shave. I think this has become my favorite OC razor.
proxy.php

Last edited:
That's a nice razor I wonder if that's what Phoenix artisison modeled his double comb razor off of
From Phoenix,

"The Phoenix Dbl OC is based on the classic Self Lubricating Grand Razor, a masterpiece in both design and concept! It is one of my favorite razors of all time, and again, I don't think it was ever fully evolved or explored after it disappeared into wet shaving history...until now!"

Today was my Long Handle Black Beauty.

Tomorrow I will back off to #6 again as the across the grain passes were a little rough.

A Grand Sunday Shave
proxy.php

I used my Grand Shave King Self Lubricating Razor today loaded with a new Voshkod Blade. I lathered the CC Bay Rum with a Vie-Long 4312 Horse Hair Brush. It was the first time for the soap as well as the razor. The soap makes very thick lather and is very slick. To say that the Grand Shve King razor is mild would be an understatement. There are a number of things that one has to do for this razor to be effective.
  1. You have to get used to soap being left behind. If you are used to the razor head removing soap with each stroke of the razor, you will be trying to remove soap and not concentrating on removing your beard.
  2. There is a proper angle for this razor to be effective. That does not mean it is aggressive, only that it will remove beard. When you find that angle, there is great audible feedback.
  3. Usually I just swish the razor in a sink of water after each pass. With this razor I needed to run the razor under the tap to remove the soap. The CC soap was very thick, and that might of had something to do with the need to run the razor under the tap.
Conclusion: The Grand Shave King Self Lubricating Razor is a very good razor. It is an odd razor and takes some getting used to. The lightness of the aluminum handle forces you to pay attention to pressure, as there is a tendancy to use excess pressure to compensate for the fact that there is soap left behind and the lightness of the handle.
This razor will remain in my den and be used occasionally.

Top Bottom