What's new

GRAND OPENING of the Rolls Razor Social Group

I have a Rolls, never used it. A friend gave it to me because she knew I liked razors. May have to dust it off and give it a go if I can get enough tips from this thread. After all, I have used a SE, a DE, an OC, a strait and a (shudder) cart. Might as well round it out!

I'm in. I have a dozen or so of these. All in various states, needing to be cleaned, refurbished, or repaired. I have one blade that was recently honed, but I have not used it yet. Need to get on that!

All-

I finally got my two PIF razors ready to go out and now I've got parts to trade (or for free? Especially if you want to create a PIF razor or two! You pay the shipping?) What I don't have is whole hones or handles. I think I just used my last butterfly spring too. There's at least one really old (bolted together?) case, an aluminum one or too, hone and strop lids, maybe a strop or two. I could probably come up with a pic if anyone's interested.

Cheers,
Jerry

A really nice four pass shave with my just-touched-up-on-CrOx Rolls this morning. An easy CCS with no pulling at all.
Razor: Rolls Razor
Blade: Rolls Razor
Brush: MadeRite 100% Bristle
Lather: Stirling Orange & Cumin
Aftershave: Stirling Soap Black Ice Witch Hazel And Aloe Splash
Addcare: Stirling Soap Menthe PSO, Osma Alum Bar

I have a Rolls Razor, but have not used it as of yet. Not sure about getting the blade set up right.

I have a pdf of the instructions I downloaded from here .... just have to get in the right frame of mind.

OK folks,

It's 2015 and time for a new challenge. OK, not much of a challenge, but here it is: would you commit to using your Rolls once a week for the year? Once a month? For an entire week or month? How about it? Let's get some use out of these bad boys!

And while I'm thinking about it, how about we get the name squared away and ask the mods to change it? I saw "Brotherhood of Rolls Shavers (BARS)" mentioned, and "High Rollers." Any other suggestions. I like the first better myself, but I'm sure there are alternatives. A friend of mine mentioned that guys had these (and used them) when he was stationed in Germany in the 1950s and that they were called something like slappers or clappers. Anyone heard somthing like that before?

Jerry

OK folks,

It's 2015 and time for a new challenge. OK, not much of a challenge, but here it is: would you commit to using your Rolls once a week for the year? Once a month? For an entire week or month? How about it? Let's get some use out of these bad boys!

I will happily use a Rolls for a week's shaving...coming off the lapping film the blade just gets nicer and nicer for the first four days anyway!

I was watching Sapphire & Steel the other night ... Assignment 5 and somewhere around 28 minutes, one of the leading males returns from the bathroom clacking some ancient piece of shaving machinery exclaiming, "what the hell's this?".

He's got a lifetime ban from this BAR :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-TVA_3NMCA

Now, I must put this Rolls Razor thing into context - I have over 230 razors, 2 of which are Rolls Razors. Razors. I have 25 soaps and 2 of them are (vintage) Rolls Razor soaps. While I can't quite commit to such a frequency with my razor, I most certainly can commit to lathering up with vintage Rolls Razor soap on a regular basis. In fact, did so today and what a shave that was!

Surely Brotherhood Of Rolls Shavers is BORS though?
Our detractors probably refer to us as the Clanky Stroppers...

Last edited:
I stand corrected... The OP for BARS was using "Brotherhood of Affectionate Rolls Shavers," and not what I said. I like pj's idea much more! Shall I ask for it?

J

I actually like the English quaintness of the OP Rolls Razor Social Group - there's something quite 30's about it...

Ok - blade F-5 with aluminium handle queued up for tonight's shave:
proxy.php

The fact that the blade lacks the two figure date code means that it is a replacement blade rather than one which came with an original set.
My other two shave ready blades are H 46-5 (1946) and A 50-7 (1950).
But what do the letters and single digit signify?

And has anybody figured out the serial numbers on the corner of the case?
My 1946 Imperial has "B946089"

I do not yet have the earlier telescopic handle, but have a choice of weights for the two-piece handle, the heavier steel or lighter aluminium.

The Rolls blades don't fit the heavy bulldog handle and frame of the Darwin because the spine is too thick.

Any suggestions for a mod to give the Rolls a bulldog handle etc?

Set the bevel on this blade using a coarse synthetic without tape, then Dragons Tongue, Vintage Yellow Lake and Purple Slate with oil.

Then formed a secondary bevel honing in the case with 1u lapping film followed by 0.3u film.
Finally lots of stropping in the case on a reconditioned strop pasted with ferric oxide.

I'm going to use Williams for prep since slickness is what's required here.

Great shaving awaits!

Last edited:
...and indeed it was a great shave!
The edge comes off that 0.3u lapping film a little harsh and possibly too sharp(?) but it's going to settle in over subsequent shaves :)

Top Bottom