What's new

Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim Trip

Good morning! Been away from this subforum for a bit, but wanted to post some pictures and thoughts of my rim-to-rim-to-rim backpacking trip. My wife and I flew into Phoenix and were picked up by friends who live in Arizona and were joining us on the trip. We headed north and spent the night in Tusayan.

Day 1: South Kaibab Trail to Bright Angel Campground (7.2 miles): Amazing views at the top of the canyon, but what really blew my mind was when you were about halfway down and could really see the scale and perspective. This trail starts easy but gets harder, as there are big step-downs the last downhill mile. Great campsite (flush toilets and running water!) and we even walked over to Phantom Ranch and got beers to celebrate my wife's birthday.

Day 2: Bright Angel CG to Cottonwood Campground (~7 miles): An easy, mostly flat last day to let us recover and rest for the push to the North Rim.

Day 3: Cottonwood CG to North Rim, back to Cottonwood (14 miles): Our friends decided to not attempt to reach the North Rim, as they didn't feel they had the fitness to get there. My wife and I got an early start (6:15) and walked for about an hour through the desert with just the red light of our headlamps. That was a special experience. The North Kaibab Trail was an easy grade and only got steep near the top. We made it there in just over 4 hours. Had lunch outside the ranger station and then headed back. Took 4.5 hours to get back, as we were cautious going down the icy spots.

Day 4: Cottonwood CG to Havasupai (formerly Indian) Gardens CG: (12 miles): Great hike to the campground with some cool views. A great place for the four of us to spend our final night in the canyon.

Day 5: Havasupai Gardens to South Rim (4.5 miles): A relatively easy trek up the Bright Angel Trail, and an awesome sense of accomplishment when finished!

I'd definitely like to return and do more hiking in the Grand Canyon, and explore some of the non-corridor trails. A bucket list trip if you are a backpacker. Happy to answer any questions.

First view of the Grand Canyon from the South Kaibab Trailhead.
IMG_20221220_084826775_HDR.jpg

View from Cottonwood CG in the morning.
IMG_20221221_084446439_HDR.jpg

Heading up to the North Rim.
IMG_20221222_072258298.jpg

My favorite picture from the trip - looking back from near the North Rim. In the lower middle you can see the trail.
IMG_20221222_090046809_HDR.jpg

I was there way back in the 1990s! The North Rim offers a very different perspective, also very beautiful and impressive. The North Rim has a higher elevation and is often closed in Winter season, though.

Beautiful. We will be visiting there in the Spring. No hiking for me, unfortunately, but I wish I could.

Some years ago, it was possible to take a donkey ride into the canyon from the South side to the Phantom Ranch. There was a weight limitation of 220 pounds, IIRC. I understand the number of people each day was pretty limited.

I was there way back in the 1990s! The North Rim offers a very different perspective, also very beautiful and impressive. The North Rim has a higher elevation and is often closed in Winter season, though.

Some years ago, it was possible to take a donkey ride into the canyon from the South side to the Phantom Ranch. There was a weight limitation of 220 pounds, IIRC. I understand the number of people each day was pretty limited.

We saw people riding down on mules; had to step aside for them. Not sure if they were camping at Phantom Ranch or just riding down and back.

Congrats on an epic accomplishment! Attempted a 3 day R2R2R 12/2020, but after 14 miles all the way to Cottonwood on Day 1, I was a mess! Day 2 turned into a “rest day” of 10 miles instead of 21, finishing at Phantom Ranch for a meal. Day 3 was the 9+ miles out on Bright Angel. The immensity of the Canyon! Hope to get back!

@MrSpeedy indeed! Nice that you and MsSpeedy found time for a casual stroll. Some might have mentioned the elevation gain/loss numbers, but hey, those were easy grades. And just a little bit of ice...

I hope you have had the chance to enjoy the hiking around Moab. Might be a little flat for you though.

Cheers! (I'll drown my envy in a beer after the sun gets over the yardarm.)

@MrSpeedy indeed! Nice that you and MsSpeedy found time for a casual stroll. Some might have mentioned the elevation gain/loss numbers, but hey, those were easy grades. And just a little bit of ice...

I hope you have had the chance to enjoy the hiking around Moab. Might be a little flat for you though.

Cheers! (I'll drown my envy in a beer after the sun gets over the yardarm.)

It's kind of funny you say that - we agreed after that it was much easier than we expected, mostly due to the (fairly) shallow grade. Haven't been to Moab yet, but it's on our list! And nothing wrong with some flat miles. :)

Top Bottom