What's new

Grain ?

i have spend the majority of time today pondering my shave tonight as it will be my first time attempting a wet shave. My reading and trying to learn how I have attempted to figure out my grain on my face and neck. All of it both sides of my face and my neck area seems to be more rough as I run my hand from bottom to top. Much of my reading suggests that I may not have the grain figured out because I'm not really sure if that's even possible. Hopefully I won't shave and then wonder to myself as I'm patching up slices of skin and razor burn why didn't I spend more time figuring out I was moving in the wrong direction lol

i have spend the majority of time today pondering my shave tonight as it will be my first time attempting a wet shave. My reading and trying to learn how I have attempted to figure out my grain on my face and neck. All of it both sides of my face and my neck area seems to be more rough as I run my hand from bottom to top. Much of my reading suggests that I may not have the grain figured out because I'm not really sure if that's even possible. Hopefully I won't shave and then wonder to myself as I'm patching up slices of skin and razor burn why didn't I spend more time figuring out I was moving in the wrong direction lol

You are OVER thinking it way to much. It's your shave do it the way you want. There is no magic formula. No right or wrong way. Only your way.

Sent from my phone using some app

After you get a few under your belt, your hair will start speaking to you and you'll get the feel for that is growing where.

You probably already know. You've been shaving a while. The stroke directions you used with a cartridge/disposable are a good place to start. As seriously as we all contemplate this activity, there's a line that shows up regularly.

It's just shaving.

Try one pass. Be ok with good enough at first. You'll get to do this again tomorrow!

First, welcome to B&B.

If you feel your beard is the roughest from bottom to top, then top to bottom is with the grain. Consider yourself lucky if your beard has a uniform grain: it will make your shave much easier.

Don't fret or worry. Just keep a light touch with the razor and all will be ok. Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you.

Finally, look here for blade angle.

With those two tips, shaving will be a piece of cake.

Have you tried running a cotton ball over your stubble?

It will glide over when going with the grain, but grab when going against it.

In my case, the test was a real eyeopener.

So, how did it go, Doc? I am sure everything was fine. One suggestion that I have is to not over think shaving. Just lather up, relax, and enjoy. You'll get some nicks and weepers along the way, but after 3-4 weeks of steady improvement, you will be getting steady, reliable, repeatable results.

Lol it wasn't in the cards to start last night. I got my hands on a fabulous 14 month old boy and we were rocking in my recliner watching the tube and at 2 am my wife woke me up to come to bed. So my normal wake up and shower use my Harry's cartridge and come to work was well received this morning. Got to be a bit more conscious of time tonight and try it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I did it, I had a beard for a few years and finally made the plunge. You just need to do it and the technique you do it with will come with some practice, there isn't any perfect formula for it. Trust the other posts, they are right.

Lol it wasn't in the cards to start last night. I got my hands on a fabulous 14 month old boy and we were rocking in my recliner watching the tube and at 2 am my wife woke me up to come to bed. So my normal wake up and shower use my Harry's cartridge and come to work was well received this morning. Got to be a bit more conscious of time tonight and try it out

Any update?

Since that day I have come to really enjoy the aspect of making lather and then shaving. Am still trying to get the technique figured out in places and am realizing that maybe I was wrong about a couple of spots and the grain there but for the most part I am smoother than with a cartridge razor and my wife says softer skin to the touch.

Top Bottom