What's new

Graduation and the Gift of Traditional Wet Shaving

My neighbor’s son graduates from high school tomorrow. He is an aspiring farmer, raising beef and grain under his grandfather’s tutelage, and will pursue a degree in agribusiness at a local college. Under the influence of Grandpa, he has an affinity for red tractors and a clean shaven face, so I thought:

1654814020256.jpeg

Not pictured are some smaller items: Personna Reds (as well as others), red dice, an alum block, a Styptic pencil, a blade bank, and others. In case you thought I forgot, I also included a stick of Arko (good thing it’s red not green).

His tremendous work ethic will carry him far in life and I am truly inspired and extremely proud to be a friend and mentor to this incredible young man!

When I graduated from high school, cartridge head razors had not yet been invented. I received a Schick Type L injector razor as a promotional gift. I tried using the razor, but I had such bad acne that it tore up my face. The shaving soaps available then were not nearly as good as the ones now available. The only way I could shave was with a Norelco rotary electric. Over the years, my Type L was lost. I continued to use the Norelco for most of my shaving career, but also used cartridge razors. Once I retired, I ditched the electric shavers and started wet shaving. I now use cartridge razor for shaving the back of my neck.

I now have a large collection of DE razors, SE razors and straight razors and am getting better shaves than I ever got while I was still working. Along the way, I was able to pick up a NOS Schick Type L injector razor and vintage blades like the ones I got when I graduated. The vintage blades were not sharp enough for my old man beard, but I do like the modern Chinese made Schick blades. I wish I had gotten into traditional wet shaving as soon as I outgrew teenage acne.

My neighbor’s son graduates from high school tomorrow. He is an aspiring farmer, raising beef and grain under his grandfather’s tutelage, and will pursue a degree in agribusiness at a local college. Under the influence of Grandpa, he has an affinity for red tractors and a clean shaven face, so I thought:

View attachment 1469674

Not pictured are some smaller items: Personna Reds (as well as others), red dice, an alum block, a Styptic pencil, a blade bank, and others. In case you thought I forgot, I also included a stick of Arko (good thing it’s red not green).

His tremendous work ethic will carry him far in life and I am truly inspired and extremely proud to be a friend and mentor to this incredible young man!

Great present for a fine young man!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

View attachment 1469674

If I was just graduating, this would be the best graduation gift that I ever could get! This is what I call the motherload of equipment! This right here, has everything he needs to get him started off right. Lots of Stirling Orange Chill I see, I don't recognize all those bottle types though, just the splash and the balm, maybe one of those is a witch hazel IDK.

You also got him a selection of Proraso products, you can't start a wet shaving hobby off, without some of that, good deal. Nice red handled brush and razor, and you even got him a model tractor! And don't think for one second, that a Captain's Choice enthusiast like me, didn't notice that Obsidian bowl sitting right there, NICE!!! 😍

And good on ya for getting him all the other small things one needs. Like I said, best graduation gift ever!

Wonderful!!
Love the tractor!
Why not Proraso Red rather than green?
I certainly thought about it, that and some Stirling ”Red Delicious”.

Ultimately he seems to prefer sweeter vice earthy fragrances. I think Proraso Green‘s eucalyptus and menthol is a classic clean refreshing scent, perfect for a young man (or an old one 🤣). When he’s ready for sandalwood, I’ve got him covered!!

If I was just graduating, this would be the best graduation gift that I ever could get! This is what I call the motherload of equipment! This right here, has everything he needs to get him started off right. Lots of Stirling Orange Chill I see, I don't recognize all those bottle types though, just the splash and the balm, maybe one of those is a witch hazel IDK.

You also got him a selection of Proraso products, you can't start a wet shaving hobby off, without some of that, good deal. Nice red handled brush and razor, and you even got him a model tractor! And don't think for one second, that a Captain's Choice enthusiast like me, didn't notice that Obsidian bowl sitting right there, NICE!!! 😍

And good on ya for getting him all the other small things one needs. Like I said, best graduation gift ever!
The razor is a Rockwell 6S and the brush is an Alpha Outlaw 26mm synthetic. Good eye on that witch hazel, the other is pre-shave oil.

It's a great gift! Education is a hard thing and getting a such gift is so pleasant. Fortunately, during my studying, I had a lot of support from my family and such sources as this one, where I often got information for my abstracts. I hope he enjoyed it!

Top Bottom