What's new

GPS - 7 Inch Android Tablet With Offline Maps?

Gents, our recent holiday to Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks well proved the worth of a GPS unit mounted somewhere in the heads up area of the dash or windshield. This was accomplished with a Garmin 2555LMT unit. It really saved our bacon in Denver. On the way we thought we might stop in Denver and check out the downtown area or whatever may catch our attention. This was a huge mistake. I-70 West into Denver was a parking lot. To be honest, it was a parking lot on the other side of the intermediate strip going East as well! Usually we would have just taken the I-470 loop around Denver and hit the Fort Collins area and shot North on I-25 to Cheyenne. We eventually did so but had gotten really turned around in the Eastern Denver suburbia if not for the Garmin unit we wold have wasted a lot of petrol getting back on course.

So with that adventure out of the way I wanted some opinions about what sort of unit to use going forward. The 2555 is fine but there is another consideration. My first generation Kindle Fire tablet is getting shall we say, a bit long in the tooth. No cameras, maudlin storage, slow as molasses, no GPS receiver. It is just getting old and the battery is starting to lose steam as well. So a new 7 inch tablet will probably be purchased this year. I find the 7 inch models to be ideal for our uses. And I have seen one or two mounted in vehicles and they really do not take up the space you would think. With that in mind I also know nearly all the major brands come with a GPS receiver built into them now. And the extra screen size when used as a GPS receiver is a big help to my eyes. So you see where I am headed here.

First lets speak to things I don't want to do. Use a smartphone. First up I don't have one. Second, the typical four or five inch screen is no different than using the 2555 now. Third, when we do get smartphones, which will be relatively soon I am not going to burn data using the typical A-GPS feature found on most of them. What I would really like to do is find a full featured offline GPS map/system to load on the 7" tablet. The tablet will likely be one of Galaxy Tab models since they have a micro SD card slot that would allow me to store the mapping programme there and use it when on the road. A Google search turned up so many articles about this I was quickly overwhelmed. Most articles were not super clear about whether the apps they were using were truly offline capable with turn by turn features or whether those functions were only available with data assistance. They also tended to focus on free apps and to be honest, I am willing to pay for a real GPS programme with the features needed. This way I have a fully functional navigation system and tablet for out of car use. One less device to pack along. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Todd

Well, there are several good Android 7 inch tablets out there. I would recommend either a Google Nexus 7 (32gb) tablet or the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 inch tablet. The Nexus 7 is cheaper and comes with stock Android which means there are no custom skins that other device manufacturers use on top of stock Android. Plus with a Nexus tablet you'll get updates much faster than other tablets. The tablet does not have a SD card slot but I've found that 32gb is more than enough for storing music, games and other media.

The new Samsung tablet is more expensive but the reviews have been pretty positive. It also has an micro SD card slot which allows you to upgrade the memory and a pretty nice screen. I would also recommend the the LG G-pad tablet as well which you can find for under $200.

These and most other Android tablets come with Google maps which has the ability to store maps "offline" . Below is a link to Google which discusses this-

https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3273567?hl=en

If you want an alternative to Google maps there are several apps you can find in the Google Play store that use offline maps. Garmin just released an interesting app called Viago. It's basically a navigation app works like Google maps but you pay for things like offline maps or traffic information. The stock app itself works fine but again you'll have to use data unless you buy the maps to use offline.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. I looked into the downloaed Google maps and while it is nice they are free, you cannot get functions like point of interest to come up unless you are connected live through data. The Garmin is nice because from time to time a blue gas pump symbol would pop up letting you know petrol was available and how far away it is. I may have missed something in how this works offline but I don't think the downloaded Google maps will do it. This so far seems to be the biggest bugaboo with offline Google maps. And I am not completely positive but I don't think the offline G maps will recalculate the route during movement like a stand alone unit will. Again, I am not well versed in the offline GPS mapping world. Heck, I am not well experienced using the stand alone Garmin. I saw the Viago app a little while ago and it looks interesting.

As for the tablets themselves we will stick with a 7 inch model but thanks for point out the LG. I was not familiar with it til you mentioned it and now it gives another option to look into.

Cheers, Todd

Todd, one thing to consider is that if you get an offline maps program, you will be missing a key feature: traffic updates. If you ever get stuck in traffic, you will be out of luck with that Android tablet. I know you said you do not want to use GPS on a smartphone, but I would consider that. GPS uses up very little data. I use GPS on my iPhone at least once a week and have never even used up half of my allotted data.

Hi Matt. Definitely points to consider. As for the traffic updates, the Garmin I have has lifetime updates for it but I think it has to have some sort of optional receiver to get the functionality. I think it is some sort of receiver that gets information from sub-carrier signal on regular FM broadcast radio signals. How does this function on the smartphones? Sounds nice to have. It is also good to know the GPS does not seem to use too much data. A big concern for me and my wife since we have resisted mightily the conversion to smartphones. It's just the idea of paying so much per month for a ruddy portable pc with four inch screen on it. It is why I was looking at the 7" tablet. Garmin makes a 7" stand alone but I was thinking of two uses from one device.

Cheers, Todd

PS; I originally thought we needed a traffic receiver option to get the traffic notices with the 2555. Such is not the case. While we were traveling my wife insisted she was seeing these notices about accidents and similar on the GPS screen. A bit of digging revealed the in-car power cable that comes with the unit functions as the receiver for the traffic option. Problem solved on this unit. I think if you are buying a stand alone unit the lifetime map and traffic updates are well worth the minimal extra cost. I can update four times per year so I do it starting in January and update each quarter.

Last edited:
I tried a bunch of Android navigation apps that don't rely on a data plan aftera day trip to Linz with google maps antics that was $50 in roaming charges...

Paid: Sygic. Excellent intetface, fancy features etc. 7-day free trial. My wife keeps asking ''weren't you going to buy it?''.

Free: Be-on-road with open maps. It works and i use it now. I'm not crazy about it, but i'm not crazy about paying either...

Try a few and pick the one you like best. Open maps is really a hit or a miss, depending of the area. If you need a good POI database, get Sygic with the tomtom maps.

Last edited:
Thank you Galhatz. I really don't want to use a smartphone for GPS either. Besides, a smartphone is no bigger than the current 5 inch screen my Garmin already has. And I know that as long a I have power the Garmin is going to work every time I turn it on. I just want a bigger screen and to cut down on the amount of electronics while on holiday.

Cheers, Todd

Top Bottom