What's new

Gourd tea strainer / any decent tea strainer

I'm sick of drinking tea with bits in it, basically the clue is in the question, where can I get a decent and cheap strainer.

Nothing fancy just something that works

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Stainless steel, $2-$3 at any Asian market. Pick one to fit your cup.

Stainless steel, $2-$3 at any Asian market. Pick one to fit your cup.

What he said.

I like the baskets - in particular one that is made of perforated metal instead of mesh - both more durable and functional than the mesh.

Here's one I really like - its designed to clip onto the edge of any cup and it even comes with its own saucer - about $10, so a little more money, but works better than the cheapies.

http://www.forlifedesign.com/infusers-strainers/398-color.html

ouch

That's really cute, but how do you hook them onto the little 5ml cups everyone seems to be using? :lol:

When I travel and don't feel like packing a nice Teapot, I use Three Styrofoam Cups to strain tea.

I poke small holes in the bottom of one with either a fork or the plastic coffee stirrers you find in any breakroom. I then add the tea leaves to this cup, place it inside another cup, and add hot water.. when it has steeped long enough, I lift the cup with the holes and the tea strains out into the other cup. When it is done straining, I place the strainer cup in to another empty cup so it doesn't get water all over everything.

Cheap, simple, ubiquitous.. to be honest, it makes lousy / barely passable tea, but it gets the job done.
-\Visdom

I got's this one
proxy.php

http://www.amazon.com/swissgold%C2%AE-TF-300-Tea-Filter/dp/B000G72D70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1222717982&sr=1-1

Works pretty good.

Steve

Hmmm, sediment actually doesn't bother me. I think it is part of the character of the tea. Must be a carryover from all those French Presses of coffee. I don't use a strainer.

ouch

Sediment is fine by me as well. Reminds me of a good wine.

One of your wife's stockings will do a good job in a pinch, but at the risk of her thinking that she's become incontinent. :001_rolle

Maybe one of you can tell me the reason why, but I can't abide metal. I really dislike it. Cutlery to eat dinner and a wedding ring are pretty much it for me - I even use a wooden-backed wristwatch. Using a pu'er knife I try to avoid, and a metal strainer for tea is a real no-go. I buy a bunch of $2 "hulu" gourd-filters (i.e., filters carved out of gourd fruits) from Yunnan Sourcing every now and again. I like a clean tea, it's a good indicator of decent processing I think.

Amusingly enough, the UK Jing business sells $2 hulu for £12 sterling. Ho ho ho.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

True, I do use a Vision + Feathers (fear me). Last time I checked, they were metallic!

I think I could *cough* probably put up with silver *cough*. :ihih:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. For boiling water I'm currently using a "Kamjove" I picked up in Chengdu, but which DTH have started selling (link here). I've used it for years and it's still going strong, just don't use the temperature-control because it's woefully inaccurate. I just take the kettle off the hotplate when the water is getting frisky (before a real full-boil).

The clear downside to this otherwise great system is the cooling fan under the hotplate, which really messes up a nice tea atmosphere. For that reason, it is our intention to buy a spirit-burner-and-clay-kettle arrangement, but I don't want to buy one over the internet, and we're waiting for our next China trip to find a decent one. Given that we will have to use it for every single tea-session, we want to get it right, and internet purchases are so random in their results.

I looked around for silent hotplates once, but couldn't find anything. I also considered removing the fan from the Kamjove (or at least disconnecting it), but figured that Mainland Chinese electronics probably wouldn't withstand much tampering...

Top Bottom