What's new

Gottlieb Hammesfahr? Anyone heard of them?

I bought a Gottlieb Hammesfahr on eBay Australia earlier today. I don't really know anything about them but it looked like it was a decent sized blade in excellent condition so I couldn't resist.

proxy.php

Any information greatly apreciated.

A well-respected Solingen knifemaker who was rumored to have started business in the late 17th century. They manufactured a lot of the edged weapons for the German army in WWI & WWII.
Most of their razor production was in the 1920's and 1930's.
They were bought out by Wilkens (silverware manufacturers) in 1971 and the name disappeared. Wilkens sold their hunting knife division (which was probably Gottlieb Hammesfahr) to Henckel in 1995.

Should be a very good razor.

Just for a little trivia, Ernst Hammesfahr invented the folding pocket corkscrew in 1898 for which wine drinkers everywhere are eternally grateful. :biggrin1:

A well-respected Solingen knifemaker who was rumored to have started business in the late 17th century. They manufactured a lot of the edged weapons for the German army in WWI & WWII.
Most of their razor production was in the 1920's and 1930's.
They were bought out by Wilkens (silverware manufacturers) in 1971 and the name disappeared. Wilkens sold their hunting knife division (which was probably Gottlieb Hammesfahr) to Henckel in 1995.

Should be a very good razor.

Just for a little trivia, Ernst Hammesfahr invented the folding pocket corkscrew in 1898 for which wine drinkers everywhere are eternally grateful. :biggrin1:
Exactly. The company has a solid reputation for their knifes.
Have never tried their razors, but I'd be surprise if it's anything but excellent.

I can't add more history info than what Greybeard provided but I have owned one in the past and found them to be excellent shavers. :thumbup1:

Yes I have heard them, I own four, and am always looking for another. In my opinion these are some of the best blades that have ever been made, I have almost all of the popular German brands, such as Henkels,Boker, and the like and I have used my cousins double duck, and as far as I'm concerned these give the most unbelievable shave of all. This of course is my opinion, but they have been around since the 1700s, and they are almost impossible to find at any price. So while other blades are going for crazy numbers, the Gottlieb and Hammesshar are some of the rarest and best blades out there. If you are lucky enough to get one, have it professionally honed, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
As an aside, anyone who has one and doesn't like it should give me a PM. Thanks
Griz

I had a razor from Hammesfahr. It was a 5/8" blade with simple black handle.
It was an great razor. The medium sized blade with its smoothness granted me great shaves.
In germany they arent well known although they are really good razors.

I ran "Gottlieb Hammesfahr" through bablefish, and it translated it as a fancy German way to say "Gold Dollar"...

Ill update my last post,as of now I have six of them and they are still up in the top three brands that I like., I sent one out to be honed by someone that we all know and he was very impressed with the shave.I also found a N.O.S. Nirosta steel one and once dialed in it has been giving unbelieveable shaves,no more than two passes.I also aquired a French pointed one and that is the one razor I will never part with,it's that good. IMHO.

Top Bottom