What's new

Gotta Love Winter

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Winter:censored:Sucks,

I am sitting at my table in lovely Kansas City, we have about 8" of snow and still coming down. I know that is not what you guys get in New York but is pretty significant for us.

That is not to bad I have only lived here for 8 years, I grew up in Iowa I am used to snow. I still have a big snow blower from those days, I did my driveway and 5 others and then came in the house.

I thought to myself dang it is cold in here. Looked at the thermostat and it was only 60 in the house. Furnace was not working.:thumbdown.

It is a 13 year old furnace and will cost $800.00 to fix it. I can buy a new one for $1750 installed. I went that route, what would you guys have done? I just hope the gas fireplace keeps us warm tonight.:angry:`New furnace goes in tomorrow. Glad it happened today it is supposed to get down to -5 tomorrow night.

Gotta love winter.:thumbup1:

yup, a furnace that old has beaten the odds so to speak. you would have just ended up replacing it in another year or two anyway.

Scott:

The money you will save in energy efficiency with a new furnace will definitely be worth your initial expenditure even if it takes a couple of years to ammortize the cost. Also, you need to keep your family AND all of your newly acquired "shaving tackle" warm! :biggrin1:

Don

Not bad.. my furnace went out over Christmas week.. luckily it happened before the holiday time kicked in. Then again 8 inches of snow is like a light dusting here.. LOL.

I would have gone new too. It should come with a warranty and be more energy efficient.

Don't you believe that we in the NYC metropolitan area can handle 8+ inches of snow with no problem. We hate it too and plowing by the towns this winter has been the worst I can remember. March can't get here soon enough.

You might qualify for and energy credit from your utility company, check it out.

I'm going to get your snow in Ohio on Tuesday. Just what I need, a repeat of the east coast blizzard that I went through while visiting in New Jersey. Perhaps I should go to visit my relatives in Atlanta.

Just got off the phone with
a buddy of mine from Medicine Hat. He said it has been snowing there all day. He said the snow is waist deep with the temp.well below zero and a gale force North wind. He said his wife has done nothing all day except stand at the kitchen window and stare. He said if it gets any worse he might have to let her in...ohhhhhhhhhhh
:lol:

They always seem to break when you need them the most.
-5 F is pretty cold (around -20 C)
It's always good to have a small heater around just in case.
Of course where I live, you have several around just in case.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
You might qualify for and energy credit from your utility company, check it out.

I'm going to get your snow in Ohio on Tuesday. Just what I need, a repeat of the east coast blizzard that I went through while visiting in New Jersey. Perhaps I should go to visit my relatives in Atlanta.

The rebate from the gas company is $225.00. I could also get a $500.00 Tax credit, but I need to check all that out. We are getting a bunch of credits this year after all the storm damage we had this fall, we upgraded garage doors. Put heavier insulation under the new siding, things like that.

They always seem to break when you need them the most.
-5 F is pretty cold (around -20 C)
It's always good to have a small heater around just in case.
Of course where I live, you have several around just in case.

Actually the fire place did a pretty decent job. It is cold in here but tolerable. New furnace should arrive around 10:00.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Just got off the phone with
a buddy of mine from Medicine Hat. He said it has been snowing there all day. He said the snow is waist deep with the temp.well below zero and a gale force North wind. He said his wife has done nothing all day except stand at the kitchen window and stare. He said if it gets any worse he might have to let her in...ohhhhhhhhhhh
:lol:

I was going to post that one today, you beat me to it. :lol:

The snow system arrived here an hour ago. This area is braced as if we are going to get the holiday east coast blizzard.

It's a frosty 31F here in Austin, so pretty much Armageddon for these folks. I grew up in Lawrence, right outside of KC and kind of miss the snow. It snowed here about 1/2 one afternoon last winter. The city shut down. It was like the scene in Ghostbusters when the containment unit went down.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
We are forecasted to get only 5" overnight, moving up from Ahia. As I age it gets less enjoyable, I have already fallen twice this season while out walking on icy roads .. but not as bad as a couple years back when it was 45 F inside when I returned from the morning walk to find the 30 year old furnace had croaked. The new furnace is the way to go, I could see the improvement in gas bills almost immediately

Ugh, snowed about 4-6" here last night near St. Louis. The crews did a decent job of clearing but not as good as the snow we had before Christmas.

I have a Subaru and the AWD helps slightly but just as I made it to work this morning and turned into the parking lot (I was doing only about 5 mph as this area is always treacherous in snow) the car's ABS kicked in and sent me into and up onto a curb (front wheels only). Thank goodness the AWD allowed me to bring those wheels back over the curb. I guess it was slick enough since turning the car didn't seem to do anything so the ABS coming on was justified..but left me with some damage to my front fender. I mean at least if the ABS wasn't on the wheels would have stopped moving and I wouldn't have gone up the curb.

I'm really beginning to hate ABS. At least on the Subaru. It seems to be overly sensitive and starts going off almost instantaneously even in slight snow. I'm young enough to have only had cars with ABS and have never had the problems with it that I've had with this Subaru.

Up to a foot expected here on Long Island tonight :scared:

And the snow from the December 27th blizzard has only half melted away.

Ugh, snowed about 4-6" here last night near St. Louis. The crews did a decent job of clearing but not as good as the snow we had before Christmas.

I have a Subaru and the AWD helps slightly but just as I made it to work this morning and turned into the parking lot (I was doing only about 5 mph as this area is always treacherous in snow) the car's ABS kicked in and sent me into and up onto a curb (front wheels only). Thank goodness the AWD allowed me to bring those wheels back over the curb. I guess it was slick enough since turning the car didn't seem to do anything so the ABS coming on was justified..but left me with some damage to my front fender. I mean at least if the ABS wasn't on the wheels would have stopped moving and I wouldn't have gone up the curb.

I'm really beginning to hate ABS. At least on the Subaru. It seems to be overly sensitive and starts going off almost instantaneously even in slight snow. I'm young enough to have only had cars with ABS and have never had the problems with it that I've had with this Subaru.

Sounds like the tires on your subaru suck in the snow. Without ABS you would've slid worse.

I don't understand why people drive in snow without snow tires. Once you buy a set and see the difference between "all season" tires and true snow tires, you'll understand. If they're summer tires, it's an even more noticeable difference.

Top Bottom