What's new

GOTD- Green of the Day

2010 Yuuki cha Honyama Gyokuro Kin-un -

Heavy umami flavors with a hit of astringency on the finish. Pretty tasty.

some old sencha i have.
proxy.php

proxy.php

it wasent bad it kinda tasted like pea pods after the grassyness had died down.
proxy.php

second and third infusions were kinda nutty in flavor also action shot.
proxy.php

Gyokuro Imperial Reserve Green Tea today
http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/green-teas/p/gyokuro-imperial-green-tea

This tea was pushed on me when I visited the Teavana store, and was really expensive. Of course the salesperson overpoured into the bag and and I ended up spending like $25 for a little over 2oz's.

It is very good though, nice vibrant green color when brewed. Vegetaly taste, with a hint of butter. Not my favorite green, but a nice change from my typical chinese greens.

1 teaspoon, brewed with 175 degree filtered water for three seperate infusions of 30s, 45s, and 60s, in a small porcelain teapot.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Gyokuro Imperial Reserve Green Tea today
http://www.teavana.com/the-teas/green-teas/p/gyokuro-imperial-green-tea

This tea was pushed on me when I visited the Teavana store, and was really expensive. Of course the salesperson overpoured into the bag and and I ended up spending like $25 for a little over 2oz's.

It is very good though, nice vibrant green color when brewed. Vegetaly taste, with a hint of butter. Not my favorite green, but a nice change from my typical chinese greens.

1 teaspoon, brewed with 175 degree filtered water for three seperate infusions of 30s, 45s, and 60s, in a small porcelain teapot.

In my entire life I have never set foot in a store with worse help than that found in Teavana.

^^ I agree, I won't step foot in a Teavana ever again if I can help it.

They took my mom for over $100. They had a "sample" that was obviously really good. A nice fruit blended tea, that had their german rock sugar in it and everything. When she said she would like some, they pushed her on a crappy teamaker, not even the perfect steeper one, but a crappy one "that could be used for iced tea as well" that was really expensive. And then when it came to the tea, it was a mixture of 4 of thier blends, including thier most expensive monkey picked oolong. And of course they only sell in 20z minimum purchases, so she had to buy a total of 8oz's of tea to make they same one that they had "samples" of, and if she didn't buy all 4, and the tea maker "it would't be as good as what she sampled".

And the whole time the saleslady was trying to push their cast iron teapots on us, obviously really expensive, and absolutely not what we needed.

I honestly felt taken advantage of, and robbed after leaving the store. I was embarrased that I even suggested to her that we go there.

Never again will I shop at Teavana, and I am pushing through my 2 Teavana teas quickly so that I do not have to be remonded of the experieince. I purchased some Dragon balls, and some gyrioku, and both were really good, but I will not purchase from them again.

gyokuro
proxy.php

first infusion 1m: sweet lightly grassy
proxy.php

2nd 30s: grassy astringant nutty tangy
proxy.php

3rd 1:30s : nutty and grassy
proxy.php

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
^^ I agree, I won't step foot in a Teavana ever again if I can help it.

They took my mom for over $100. They had a "sample" that was obviously really good. A nice fruit blended tea, that had their german rock sugar in it and everything. When she said she would like some, they pushed her on a crappy teamaker, not even the perfect steeper one, but a crappy one "that could be used for iced tea as well" that was really expensive. And then when it came to the tea, it was a mixture of 4 of thier blends, including thier most expensive monkey picked oolong. And of course they only sell in 20z minimum purchases, so she had to buy a total of 8oz's of tea to make they same one that they had "samples" of, and if she didn't buy all 4, and the tea maker "it would't be as good as what she sampled".

And the whole time the saleslady was trying to push their cast iron teapots on us, obviously really expensive, and absolutely not what we needed.

I honestly felt taken advantage of, and robbed after leaving the store. I was embarrased that I even suggested to her that we go there.

Never again will I shop at Teavana, and I am pushing through my 2 Teavana teas quickly so that I do not have to be remonded of the experieince. I purchased some Dragon balls, and some gyrioku, and both were really good, but I will not purchase from them again.

I really have to stop calling Teavana "the AoS of tea", as that is very insulting to AoS. AoS offers some truly superior, world class products. Teavana has some good tea, but guess why? Simple: there is a lot of good tea in the world. What they don't offer is anything could by any means be described as value.

Their monkey pick oolong is decent, but should be $70-80 per pound tops, not $200. When I asked for a specific tea, they said they didn't understand me because I was mumbling. (Mumble? That's Brahms. Brahms' Third Mumble.) More than 50% of what they sell doesn't even qualify as tea to me.

GotD (In Fact, of the Moment): Dong Ting Bi Luo Chun from TeaSpring. Delicious and hairy. Sweet and sense-filling. Great finish. As regards campers, I am a happy one right now. Time for Infusion #3. Best to all, ~grasshopper

some silver needle i got from a jewelry store.
proxy.php

1st 30s: lightly astringant tangy and has milk tea notes. mmmmm
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

2nd 1m: tangy and dry on the pallet.
proxy.php

proxy.php

3rd 1;30: creamy and dry.
proxy.php

proxy.php

and the leaves
proxy.php

ok now for some actuall green tea.

soaking the chasen in the chawan (not a real chawan lol) with the chashaku on top of my kusenaoshi
proxy.php

2 scoops with the chashaku sifted into chawan [also *** are they talking about 2-3m infusions for? its not like you can strain the matcha out... also it infuses instantly. silly davids tea]
proxy.php

small amount of water to make paste with
proxy.php

paste made
proxy.php

pour in more water and stir till paste is disolved.
proxy.php

wisk vigorously till foamy.
proxy.php
and once chasen is clean replace onto kusenaoshi
proxy.php

mmm matcha is great.

Last edited:
2012 Yuuki Cha Organic Kagoshima Shincha Saemidori -

Deep umami flavors with grass and some slight marine notes. Excellent fukamushi shincha.

That's one of the best tea posts I ever saw on any site. And it's all right here on good old B&B. Nice!

it has been a while since i made matcha so i thought i'd document it.
heres a video of mine that joel requested in a old thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
2011 Yuuki Cha Organic Miyazaki Kamairicha Kanayamidori -

I love the smell of buttered artichoke hearts in the morning. I'm enjoying this one more as it ages a little. I definitely want to try some of the other breeds they have to offer in this style.

Top Bottom