What's new

GOTD- Green of the Day

2011 Wild picked Anji Bai Cha from JK Tea -

I brewed this in a 120ml gaiwan this time....100ml previous, and it was fantastic.

Today I had some Hibiki-an Sencha Superior that I found in the back of my tea shelf. I think Ambrose sent me this a while back. It wasn't as fresh as it used to be but I had a decent session with it.

2011 Bi Luo Chun from store stock. Very smooth and satisfying if I do say so myself. Don't drink much green tea as a rule but may have to start changing that based on the quality of the green teas that I recently got into the inventory.

2011 Yuuki Cha Kumamoto Sencha Yabe Supreme -

This appears to be a true chumushi. Most of them lean toward the fuka side. Really seems like the best of both worlds. Very nice.

Last edited:
Miyazaki Kamairicha Sakimidori from Yuuki-Cha. I had never heard of this kind of tea before, and bought it for kicks. I'm not sure if I like it enough to buy it again.

Other than Den's Tea and Hibiki-An, can anyone recommend a good online vendor for Japanese green tea?

Hosen sencha from Ippodo, whom I would also recommend to anyone looking for a great online vendor of Japanese teas. Their teas tend to lean towards the more lightly steamed end of the spectrum which is no bad thing in my opinion.

Still getting over the shock of fresh Japanese green tea, it's been months, so I'll give it another few days before I make my mind up about this sencha but so far so good.

Attachments

• $IMG_1931.jpg
    $IMG_1931.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 94
2010 Yuuki Cha Honyama Kabusecha -

A nice mild Kabusecha. Less anise flavor than their Asahina Kabusecha....so I actually prefer the less expensive Honyama.

2010 Yuuki Cha Shizuoka Sakurata -

This is new....as I would not buy a Shizuoka matcha from 2011. Very savory with deep umami flavors, but little sweetness. Strangely, it took about a week of having this open before the Sakura flavor, from the Shizu-7132 varietal, began to emerge. Very nice matcha for the price. The Iroka has more sweetness, but perhaps not as much complexity due to the Sakura hints. Then again, its been a while since I've had that one so it's hard to say.

'11 Yuuki Cha Kanayamidori Kamaircha -

I swear this tastes exactly like buttered artichoke hearts....which I like...but not sure as a tea.

[Proinsias] Ippodo, whom I would also recommend to anyone looking for a great online vendor of Japanese teas.
[grasshopper] I buy Japanese green tea from Yuuki Cha, Hibiki-An, O-Cha, Maiko, and others, and they're good. I've no complaints. But I prefer Ippodo for sencha, shincha, and matcha. In quality and service, Ippodo is consistent. Aside from Japanese green tea, Hou De every year offers tremendous Taiwanese lucha. In my cup this week is TeaSpring's Xu Fu Long Ya. This year's version is bigger, rounder. I am looking forward to Bai Cha, Yang Yan Gou Qing, and maybe BLC. Early in the spring I get too excited about green tea. Our forsynthia has huge yellow buds. Finches are showing up at the feeders. "Verde que te quiero verde." Best regards, ~grasshopper

Today: Nodoka matcha from Ippodo. The website's description is fairly accurate: "It tantalizes your mouth with a hint of sharpness overlaid with a billowing sweetness. Also, the fresh fragrance that fills the air when this matcha is whisked and that remains on your tongue after drinking leaves you feeling happy and relaxed." It is tangy, and I might not be a fan of tangy matcha. Tomorrow I will tuck into Seiun. It is sure to please. Best to all, ~grasshopper

Top Bottom