What's new

Got some Witch Hazel, however.

I hated it at first - now I love it. It's almost like Catnip for dudes. Or something like that. I like it so much that it's my "first" AS after a shave followed by whatever AS chaser I want for the day. Mixing for me would be sacrelige. It's an acquired taste but post back here in 2 weeks and tell me if I'm wrong!

I have used it in a spray bottle (a travel-sized hairspray bottle that I cleaned out), on those round cotton pads, and as a splash. any way works great. I feel like the cotton pads used more WH but worked better for distribution.

I might try those cotton pads, for a $1 a bottle i'm not real worried about how much WH the pads use.. Once its empty it'll give me an excuse to try a different brand :thumbup:

i've used publix (regional grocery store) store brand and dickinson's brand (got it at target.) both did a great and comparable job.
I daydream about the smell of witchhazel now.

I use the generic WH as well and just take it straight-the scent doesn't bother me and it disappears as fast as it comes on. One thing I've noticed with aftershaves and WH is that they all seem to improve noticeably in the scent department when decanted from plastic bottles into glass bottles. You might try this and see what you think. Other than that, you can always cut the WH with a scented aftershave or just add essential oil (done this many times) and that will eliminate the "wet campfire" scent and save you a few bucks over the high priced alternatives.

Buy a mini bottle of spiced rum, pour that in. Grind up a pinch of menthol crystals, sprinkle those in. Now you have a homemade Bay Rum AS.

I use the T.N. Dickinson's I get at Walgreens. It smelled awful at first but after 4 or 5 uses I got used to it. I don't even notice now.

Pony up and buy a designer Witch Hazel! I like Humphrey's (relatively cheap, extremely effective) in Lilac, but Thayer's gets tons of love around here. I prefer alcohol free, but YMMV.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't know. I'm somewhat distressed by the advice to keep smelling a crappy smell until you become accustomed to it. It sounds like punishment.

I use Thayer's unscented with aloe. It is really nice stuff and I use such a small amount that the cost of the bottle seems inconsequential to me - but it wasn't $1.

Be good to yourself, you're going to die some day.

I am in the same situation with dollar store witch hazel. I have put lemon essential oil to scent it. Problem solved.

I do much the same thing--except I use LIME essential oil. I get mine from Lorann Oils, because they are local to me. However, they also sell online at lorannoils.com. They seem to have almost any scent you might want.

My first WH was dollar store Dickenson's. It sparked some heated arguments on the mornings that I used it.
My wife can't stand it.

Things became more harmonious after I switched to Thayer's Lemon.
My wife even complemented it without knowing what it was. :)

Top Bottom