What's new

Got my first cast iron pans

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
They just went back in for round three. I noticed one spot that had globbed- I must have used a bit too much on the second treatment. I rubbed this down even, made sure I put a thin coat on, and placed back in the oven. The wife is already talking about getting a Dutch oven,, so I will probably get one on payday. Grandma always cooked pot roast in a Dutch oven, and it was always fantastic.

On edit: I read that you should put foil on the rack and place pans upside to prevent pooling. I did that this time.

Last edited:
I love cast iron pans! (and you got very good advice above)

I know this is not a skillet, but it is one of my favorite pans:

proxy.php

Cast iron pans are excellent for making stews and slow roasts!

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have been surfing the Lodge website- I have a lot more to buy

On edit- I have some lamb chops marinating in garlic, rosemary thyme, and olive oil. I am going to inaugurate the 12 inch pan with them.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, on Friday I owned no cast iron. Saturday I bought my wife a 12 inch skillet. Yesterday I bought a 10 1/4 inch. I am off to buy a 6 1/2 inch for eggs. CIAD is taking off.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
you know you can make eggs in the 12 or 10 1/4, right? :lol:
I was going to keep one dedicated to eggs. The smallest Kroger's had was 10 1/4 inch, so I went to Wally World. You know an AD is bad when I actually want to go to that hell hole. Picked up an 8 inch- got seasoning session number one going now.

I got Grandma's and Great Grandma's Cast Iron and a set of corn ear cast iron that are all 80- 110 years. I would not trade it for a 1000 bucks. It is been season with decades of lard and pork fat.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I got Grandma's and Great Grandma's Cast Iron and a set of corn ear cast iron that are all 80- 110 years. I would not trade it for a 1000 bucks. It is been season with decades of lard and pork fat.
I envy you. I wish I had my grandmother's cast iron.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

The first time I read this I figured you have a 12 inch high non stick coating going on. Ok I'm not really that dopey. . . I guess you maintain it in use as your great grandma did. And maybe from time to time you get a bit of the seasoning in your meal that is 110 years old.

Delta boys pans are imbued with Grandmas mojo and a new pan is not quite the same, but the inheritor of the pans here will see a treasure here too!

I wish I had hit this thread sooner. Sadly, people refuse to let go of old ways. I know I'm tilting at windmills, but the modern Lodge cast iron really does not need an initial seasoning. Just use it. I've had no difficulties at all. If there seems to be problems after using it, then season it. But at least try it first.

haha no no Cheryl is the one with the PhD. :blink:

Ahh, yes, but if you only knew what I have been through to learn it all from experience, and trials of all the techniques! I hate to know how much in power energy I have spent to season and clean them all.

On a side note, the absolute BEST way to strip a piece is the oven CLEANING CYCLE (900 degrees) for 2-3 hours. Forget all the lye and poisons. Doesn't work anywhere near as fast and good.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I wish I had hit this thread sooner. Sadly, people refuse to let go of old ways. I know I'm tilting at windmills, but the modern Lodge cast iron really does not need an initial seasoning. Just use it. I've had no difficulties at all. If there seems to be problems after using it, then season it. But at least try it first.
I had different result. I cooked bacon in the first pan and it stuck. I re-cleanedand gave it three treatments. It was flawless today.

I have been curious about cast iron for a while now, but it is impossible in my current living arrangements. I am living in someone else's house and I am already "that guy" with his own knives and pots. Also the house has a ceramic topped stove (what an awful idea) so scratches would be a concern.

Best advice: no soap.
I used to season the first pan, a Wagner, but the rest I just use them for cooking bacon a couple of times and they are perfect. In my opinion, fried eggs in cast iron pans are absolute best.
Here are mine:

proxy.php

...On edit: I read that you should put foil on the rack and place pans upside to prevent pooling. I did that this time.

This is how seasoning should be done: upside down. Place a cookie sheet underneath.

First time Tandoori pork (my youngest said: "mmmmm, this chicken is good"):

proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Best advice: no soap.
I used to season the first pan, a Wagner, but the rest I just use them for cooking bacon a couple of times and they are perfect. In my opinion, fried eggs in cast iron pans are absolute best.
Here are mine:

proxy.php
That is some nice looking cast iron

Top Bottom