What's new

Got my first cast iron pans

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
$pancakes.jpg

be sure to look up "southern living" pineapple upside down cake recipe....and watch Alton Brown sometime with his while he makes corn bread....you will never buy another box cake mix or cook corn bread in anything else....

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
be sure to look up "southern living" pineapple upside down cake recipe....and watch Alton Brown sometime with his while he makes corn bread....you will never buy another box cake mix or cook corn bread in anything else....
The corn bread sounds interesting.

Don't forget the biscuits and gravy:) the only problem for me is no matter how much you make you still don't have enough.
cheers.

as far as I was taught by a former kitchen store owner cast iron cookware needs to be broken in. just coat with a gentle coating of any kind of vegetable oil and get the skillet nice and hot just leave to cool and rest and they should be ready to rock

as far as I was taught by a former kitchen store owner cast iron cookware needs to be broken in. just coat with a gentle coating of any kind of vegetable oil and get the skillet nice and hot just leave to cool and rest and they should be ready to rock

And clean them with very hot water only ... and surely do not put them in a dishwasher!

My modest arsenal includes two vintage Griswold #10 skillets, a no-name #15, and a 8 qt Lodge Dutch oven. I also have a #34 Griswold Plett pan that is apparently worth some dough.

One of the big skillets was my wife's camping cookware until I started using it for everyday cooking. IIRC, the Plett pan was a wedding gift to my parents back in 1946. The little #15 I think is Korean, it was gifted to us by somebody who knew we were using cast iron.

The Dutch oven was a birthday (Father's day?) gift. The factory finish came off after I used it for bread in the oven, and supjecting it to lots of acidic food. It's been re-seasoned and is doing fine. A big bonus is that the lid for the Dutch oven fits the #10 skillet nicely.

Here's some Forty Clove Garlic Chicken in one of the #10s.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That looks tasty, Gumby. Payday is the 15th, and a Dutch oven is next on the list.

Yes, absolutely don't use soap. If anything sticks, put water in the pan and the stuck bits should come loose in short order. I still have my original Lodge to use on the grill. I don't like what grill does to the outside of an indoor pan.

Yep, they need to be seasoned, just fry up a few pounds of bacon! Nothing seasons CI like bacon!

Ken

I'll echo what some others have stated and say absolutely no soap, and avoid acidic foods as both with destroy your seasoning. If you find a tough bit of stuck on crud, and the hot water trick isnt working, I've found that putting some coarse salt in the pan with a small amount of the water to make a paste and using it as an abrasive works well, and doesnt seem to strip the seasoning off. I suppose I could just get myself a dedicated scotch brite or steel wool for cast iron, but my kitchen space is at a premium.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'll echo what some others have stated and say absolutely no soap, and avoid acidic foods as both with destroy your seasoning. If you find a tough bit of stuck on crud, and the hot water trick isnt working, I've found that putting some coarse salt in the pan with a small amount of the water to make a paste and using it as an abrasive works well, and doesnt seem to strip the seasoning off. I suppose I could just get myself a dedicated scotch brite or steel wool for cast iron, but my kitchen space is at a premium.

Bingo.

Top Bottom