What's new

Got my Falcon Pipe in. Better than I expected.

Why do I get the feeling you'll have one by Christmas?
Nope, not by Christmas. Not with the bike parts I have to buy. But by the end of April, around my birthday. But between then and now, I'll be tossing into the pig the usual $12-15 I see them going for in antique stores. Curiosity factor more than anything.

Unless a reliable source can tell me if the old stems can take new bowls.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nope, not by Christmas. Not with the bike parts I have to buy. But by the end of April, around my birthday. But between then and now, I'll be tossing into the pig the usual $12-15 I see them going for in antique stores. Curiosity factor more than anything.

Unless a reliable source can tell me if the old stems can take new bowls.

So far as I know, the connecting thread has never changed. You just have to be 100% sure it's a Falcon, not an Alco, or Peacemaker, or A.N.Other lego pipe brand. However, second hand pipes might leak if there's damage to the centre pipe, which might not be visually apparent, so I'd stick to buying new unless you don't mind gambling.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Nope. I have 4 new pipes to break in. I don't need a Falcon, no matter how convenient it would be. No matter how many meerschaum and meerschaum lined bowls I can get. Nope.
Who are you trying to convince? 😂

Nope. I have 4 new pipes to break in. I don't need a Falcon, no matter how convenient it would be. No matter how many meerschaum and meerschaum lined bowls I can get. Nope.

Yep...you just need to confront the inevitable. You know in the back of your mind you want one...you know you do!! May as well just cease with the agonizing over it AND get it done!!! Your name is written all over a Falcon and Meerschaum and Meerschaum lined bowls galore.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Four pipes to break in! Oh drat. As far as Meerschaum goes, don’t worry too much about it now. They are good and they are cool and get really pretty with use over the long term but they aren’t magic and they are fragile. Build up your briars. I smoke one from time to time but still prefer a quality briar. Of course, that’s just me.

I may be nitpicking but I find it to be a little more work cleaning the Falcon bowl at the hole in the bottom. I end up with some moist tobacco there which requires a little more effort to clean. To me that is a draw-back to the system.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I may be nitpicking but I find it to be a little more work cleaning the Falcon bowl at the hole in the bottom. I end up with some moist tobacco there which requires a little more effort to clean. To me that is a draw-back to the system.

I just twist and pull through a piece of tissue, then use that same piece of tissue to mop out the humidome. Job done.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Better in the bowl then in the smoke. The more gunk you find in the reservoir, the more it prevented from being wicked into the stem and burning your tongue as hot vapor. It's a give and take.

I have seven Falcon pipes. Six are vintage, made in USA, one is modern, made in England. Love them all.
What I like best is how easy it is to clean. I mean really clean, deep clean.
Take the bowl off when cool, wipe off the bottom of the bowl with paper towel, wipe out the inside of the bowl, dip the humidome end of the stem in a small jar full of rubbing alcohol and swirl it around, dip a pipe cleaner in the alcohol and run it through the stem, rinse the stem in water, dry and reassemble.
Most people don't realize you can use alcohol to clean the stem.
Also like that you only have to buy a new bowl, not a new pipe, for each brand of tobacco you like.

I have seven Falcon pipes. Six are vintage, made in USA, one is modern, made in England. Love them all.
What I like best is how easy it is to clean. I mean really clean, deep clean.
Take the bowl off when cool, wipe off the bottom of the bowl with paper towel, wipe out the inside of the bowl, dip the humidome end of the stem in a small jar full of rubbing alcohol and swirl it around, dip a pipe cleaner in the alcohol and run it through the stem, rinse the stem in water, dry and reassemble.
Most people don't realize you can use alcohol to clean the stem.
Also like that you only have to buy a new bowl, not a new pipe, for each brand of tobacco you like.

They are nice pipes and real pleasure to smoke.

This has got to stop. Between the razor, soap, cream, firearms, and now the brown leaf forums, B&B is bound and determined to instill an AD for just about every damned thing I read about.

When I first started smoking a pipe, the Falcons and Vikings and Airogrates all conjured up images of white loafers, sans-a-belt slacks, pocket protectors, and cloth (cloth!) fedoras. Now fast-forward 40 years and there are three - yes, three - threads on the first page of the Brown Leaf about metal system pipes, and I'm starting to weaken. Which for me means, how fast can I get one to try. Except for me it can't be one, it has to be a set, and it has to be vintage, and it has to be Right Now.

This arrives next week:

1609721310544.png

And I know, the base seems to have a crack in it, but I wanted the bowls. I'll have a straight and bent base by the time they arrive.

But I ain't getting no cloth fedoras or sans-a-belt slacks!

B&B - Broke-er and Broke-er.....

This has got to stop. Between the razor, soap, cream, firearms, and now the brown leaf forums, B&B is bound and determined to instill an AD for just about every damned thing I read about.

When I first started smoking a pipe, the Falcons and Vikings and Airogrates all conjured up images of white loafers, sans-a-belt slacks, pocket protectors, and cloth (cloth!) fedoras. Now fast-forward 40 years and there are three - yes, three - threads on the first page of the Brown Leaf about metal system pipes, and I'm starting to weaken. Which for me means, how fast can I get one to try. Except for me it can't be one, it has to be a set, and it has to be vintage, and it has to be Right Now.

This arrives next week:

View attachment 1203946

And I know, the base seems to have a crack in it, but I wanted the bowls. I'll have a straight and bent base by the time they arrive.

But I ain't getting no cloth fedoras or sans-a-belt slacks!

B&B - Broke-er and Broke-er.....
Don't go to the Nib. Those old Parker 51s ain't cheap anymore 😯 (or the Shaffer's... I won't mention the German or Italian pens. )

Top Bottom