What's new

Got me a J r torrey

I ordered a j r torrey razor razor on ebay with a heckle bros box. Looks to be a good razor. Gonna hit up the lapping films later today to see if I can get a shave out of it. I've been using gold dollars up till now, so gonna see if theres
much of a difference.

Attachments

• 15899077883454391530531423987229.jpg
    15899077883454391530531423987229.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
I ordered a j r torrey razor razor on ebay with a heckle bros box. Looks to be a good razor. Gonna hit up the lapping films later today to see if I can get a shave out of it. I've been using gold dollars up till now, so gonna see if theres
much of a difference.

shouldn't see that big of a difference I'd think.

$30 dollars versus $250 dollars for the most part should be the same.

at some point were paying for: name, history, renowned geographic region, artisian, etc.

I know some may frown upon my above remarks......but thats the way I see it for now.

with this said, you have bought a US made razor with some history to it!!!!.....and should be proud of it.

camo

Congratulations!

The blade looks good. The Torrey has great steel and will take a nice edge. It looks as though there’s a crack in the scales by the pivot. I can’t tell how significant it is. Either way, it’s an easy fix.

Clean it, polish it, hone it and give it a go!

Yeah I cant wait to try it. The scales do see to be holding up, but worse case scenario I have rosewood scales I can use. I would like to keep it original if I can. The scales feel like rubber material.

Looks like a little, I've been hitting the lapping films and looks like I got it all polished out. Gonna test it after dinner. Still new to honing so hopefully will be a success. I've had good luck with honing the gold dollar.

Update: After doing lapping films and cnat finisher, I did my first shave. Came out good, a little tugging on first pass. First time finishing on new cnat so gonna work on edge more. Very content with the shave. No irritation or weepers.

Awesome! How'd it compare to the GD? Did you use a loupe or some other form of magnification to see when you got past the pitting?

I do have a 10x loupe. Didnt use it. I did naked eye visual and looks good. Compared to gold dollar I think the GD did better. I think I just need to refine the edge on the torrey more. I didnt do balsa with pastes today. Wanted to try it straight off cnat first being I just got cnat.

I have rosewood scales I can use
Long time ago, probably in an old "Fine Woodworking", there were warnings about rosewood causing various allergic reactions to the skin. It would be better for you to chose another less allergenic wood for your scales.

Your Torrey looks quite nice. IMO use your loupe to inspect the edge, so you can make sure sure there are no microchips or micro pitting. I always use some magnification on vintage razors when I first hone them; old eyes I guess. A Cnat may take a lot of strokes to really finish. From your blade's shape I'd suggest a nice rolling X-stroke. Have fun; good find!

Gonna hit the cnat again today. Will try the rolling x stroke. I shave every other day so will try it again tomorrow.

I just picked this one up for $20. I am a total newb when it comes to SR and shaving. Can I use a polishing compound to clean the blade up?

Attachments

• JR Torrey and box.jpg
    JR Torrey and box.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 8
  • JR Torrey.jpg
    JR Torrey.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom